Shreyas Iyer: "I am just waiting for my chance."

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

If at all possible, going to the next WC we must look at Iyer at #3, Kohli at #4. In KOs VK goes missing too often, him being exposed so early may not be a good ploy but a batsman like that controlling the innings at #4 boosts our MO strength a lot. Iyer can play at a high SR, very dynamic, perfect fit to get a top 3 slot. 

I have been advocating Virat at #4 in ODI cricket for 2 years now.  

Keemo Paul to Shreyas Iyer, 1 run, slaps the cut on the up and he has brought up his fifty! Fourth half-ton in a row for the Mumbai lad. Second of the series. He continues his purple patch

31 runs in an over :hatsoff:

Love the way he plays spin, shows same disdain as Sehwag...was ruthless against Lyon/Keefe in that FC match 2 years ago. 

6 ODI 50s in 9 innings, avg 52, SR 105

Edited by Gollum
50 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Bewda has cost us the WC.   Sending Karthik at no4 in the SF against kiwis. :facepalm: Whereas we hv had a genuine no4 (in Iyer who did not even feature in WC)

Shastri is from Mumbai and he should know Iyer better than anyone else.The more I see Iyer the more I think he would have saved India's ass in world cup.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Shastri is from Mumbai and he should know Iyer better than anyone else.The more I see Iyer the more I think he would have saved India's ass in world cup.

Iyer's technique would improve with every game he plays.  He is still very young.  What I like about him is that he has the Balls to face the music under tough situation. He has the hunger for runs. It's evident.  TM needs to back him for that difficult No4 slot .  Even if he fails in 2-3 matches, the TM should persist with him.

4 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Iyer's technique would improve with every game he plays.  He is still very young.  What I like about him is that he has the Balls to face the music under tough situation. He has the hunger for runs. It's evident.  TM needs to back him for that difficult No4 slot .  Even if he fails in 2-3 matches, the TM should persist with him.

I don't think there is any doubt for his place.He is the third best batsman on this team.He rotates strike better than Rahul.His nonselection for world cup should go down as one of the biggest blunders.

On 12/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

I can see it happening near the end of his career when he's around 36.

It should happen today.  If you slot in a Manish Pandey or Shubman Gill at #3 and Kohli at #4, the team instantly gets stronger.  Only thing is Virat's cumulative stats will probably have 5-8 fewer centuries. 

Kohli said a very strange thing during the after match interview. On asked whether Iyer has solved the No.4 problem he replied that it was more of a made out problem than a real one.  The top 3 were batting so well that the later batters did not get enough chances to develop their game. 

Almost none of the interviewers these days ask probing questions and are like Yes-men to top cricketers, coaches etc. ... and today's interviewer, Manju, is no different. So, he got away with this answer.

But he could have been asked

1)  Iyer was averaging 40+ with a SR of 100+ in ODIs when he was dropped from the team in 2018. Why was it done ?

2)  Why could some among the top 3 not bat lower down the order, by rotation, in matches against weaker teams. And allow the middle order to develop their game ?

32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kohli said a very strange thing during the after match interview. On asked whether Iyer has solved the No.4 problem he replied that it was more of a made out problem than a real one.  The top 3 were batting so well that the later batters did not get enough chances to develop their game. 

Almost none of the interviewers these days ask probing questions and are like Yes-men to top cricketers, coaches etc. ... and today's interviewer, Manju, is no different. So, he got away with this answer.

1)  Iyer was averaging 40+ with a SR of 100+ in ODIs when he was dropped from the team in 2018. Why was it done ?

2)  Why could some among the top 3 not bat lower down the order, by rotation, in matches against weaker teams. And allow the middle order to develop their game ?

Or better yet, "If it was a made out problem, why did you drop the No. 4 you played for over a year from the World Cup squad and tried 3 different players at that position in the World Cup?"

4 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I still dont think he can hit fast bowlers . 

Hes earned his spot for now and arguably the best options , considering not many contenders for mo in domestic, but am skeptical on him lasting for long 

He is not a finished product . 

Plays spin very well .  But most of the big shots are down the ground and from long on to Wide mid wicket . He just needs to use the off side areas 

vs spinners . Then he will become not predictable .

For me  he does not have the same shot making ability against Pace as compared to Shaw or Pant among youngsters . Hardly plays Pull or Hook . 

Needs more improvement vs Pace  to be good package . 

But  good in rotation of strike , good fielder , to be persisted with . Will improve .

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

If he was in team he would have gotten more chances, he was discarded to early.That is the big mistake.

Kohli plays all formats and does take off lot of games so playing time for new comers is not problem.Rohit if he succeeds in tests will also need time off.

Like Pant was promoted last 20, newcomers if they are playing will get their chances. India never had this consistent batting from top three.Sachin, Sehwag or Ganguly together were never this consistent so that gave lot of chances to guys like Dhoni or Yuvraj early in their careers.