Hinduphobia In Secular India

SecondSlip

[mention=890]coffee_rules[/mention] Okay boss. You take her (and Al Jazeera) seriously then.

As for Barkha, she is a sell out. Forget her political bias(es). I'm talking about the Nira Radia tapes.
What about her?

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why are people taking Ladeeda so seriously? Since when is she the authority on anything?

These kind of retarded comments take away from the actual issues Muslims face. She is the girl who cries wolf. She has to be a plant. :mad:

Back in the day, when The Ramayan was telecast it was viewed (and enjoyed, or so I am told) by everyone. Hindu. Muslim. Dhoni fans. Everyone. A major reason was that there simply weren't any other channels back then. 

Also, who even watches DD anymore? Is this even an issue?

Mariyam, i was talking about this with some family today.

My uncle told me that during the 90s, the broadcasting of ramayan/mahabharat on DD had to be "balanced" by a broadcast of shows like shehenshah akbar and dastaan-e-hatimtai (i had never heard of these, by the way). this way, serials of hindu epics wouldn't be considered "communal" and muslims would feel included in india.

i have no idea if this is true, but this is what i have heard.

My impression is - in "secular" india, there used to be equal acknowledgement of hindu and muslim, at least in the public sphere. these days, there's zero acknowledgement of muslim legacy, and its all hindu-hindu-hindu...which isn't a bad thing, but this is what irritates the secularists who believe in the india of "amar akbar anthony".

3 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Mariyam, i was talking about this with some family today.

My uncle told me that during the 90s, the broadcasting of ramayan/mahabharat on DD had to be "balanced" by a broadcast of shows like shehenshah akbar and dastaan-e-hatimtai (i had never heard of these, by the way). this way, serials of hindu epics wouldn't be considered "communal" and muslims would feel included in india.

i have no idea if this is true, but this is what i have heard.

My impression is - in "secular" india, there used to be equal acknowledgement of hindu and muslim, at least in the public sphere. these days, there's zero acknowledgement of muslim legacy, and its all hindu-hindu-hindu...which isn't a bad thing, but this is what irritates the secularists who believe in the india of "amar akbar anthony".

I do remember some serial called Alif-laila .. 

12 minutes ago, diga said:

I do remember some serial called Alif-laila .. 

An anecdote of those times , I didn’t know there was an opposition against telecasting it. Sagarika ‘s dad had a hand in its opposition. It is akin to what some liberals say about Ramleela or Bharatmata ki Jai are intimidating minorities and hurting the secular fabric of India

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

An anecdote of those times , I didn’t know there was an opposition against telecasting it. Sagarika ‘s dad had a hand in its opposition. It is akin to what some liberals say about Ramleela or Bharatmata ki Jai are intimidating minorities and hurting the secular fabric of India

These voices used to be much louder back in the day. the government would have to listen to them. which is why we would have a 'balancing' between hindu and muslim representation in entertainment, just to keep everyone happy.

i dont think this is happening in today's india. the BJP doesn't give a ****, and those voices have lost their power.

14 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

These voices used to be much louder back in the day. the government would have to listen to them. which is why we would have a 'balancing' between hindu and muslim representation in entertainment, just to keep everyone happy.

i dont think this is happening in today's india. the BJP doesn't give a ****, and those voices have lost their power.

We are only hearing such stories now, and imagine how many such Hinduphobia episodes which is not in public domain? 

2 hours ago, someone said:

We are only hearing such stories now, and imagine how many such Hinduphobia episodes which is not in public domain? 

I have thought about this a little bit more.

I'm not sure if it's hinduphobia as much as it is pandering to muslims.

to keep muslims happy as a voting bloc, secularists would go to any extent to justify muslim extremism. for example: india was one of the first countries to ban salman rushdie's satanic verses. this is while most muslims in india are semi-literate, and incapable of reading 3 sentences, let alone an entire book.

its almost as if secularists themselves, were deeply distrustful of muslims, but chose to indulge them rather than ignore them, as the BJP has. remember, muslims don't like 'secularists' any more than they like hindus.

by the way, the only reason ramayan and mahabharat were broadcast in the first place is because the shah bano judgement annoyed most of the country. congress had to 'balance' both sides, so they chose to broadcast hindu epics and eventually, opened the gates of the babri masjid.

indian "secularism" in the 80s was all about pandering to extremists, whether it was muslim, hindu or sikh (akali dal vs bhindranwale). 

this must have been the worst decade in independent india's hisotry.

2 hours ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

I have thought about this a little bit more.

I'm not sure if it's hinduphobia as much as it is pandering to muslims.

to keep muslims happy as a voting bloc, secularists would go to any extent to justify muslim extremism. 

Of course. Ideally, Muslims can also provide their religious history, stories programmes. It is a level playing field and I also would be interested in learning about other religions through creative art channels.

But thats a possibly taboo subject and thus, instead, confused people want to ban all religious episodes...

1 hour ago, someone said:

Of course. Ideally, Muslims can also provide their religious history, stories programmes. It is a level playing field and I also would be interested in learning about other religions through creative art channels.

But thats a possibly taboo subject and thus, instead, confused people want to ban all religious episodes...

I would love that mainstreaming as well, should apply to multiple fields.

I've been wanting to ask HR in my company as to why can't Ramzan or another Eid like festival be celebrated the same way Diwali & Christmas are, with decorations, luncheons & all :p:

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

I would love that mainstreaming as well, should apply to multiple fields.

I've been wanting to ask HR in my company as to why can't Ramzan or another Eid like festival be celebrated the same way Diwali & Christmas are, with decorations, luncheons & all :p:

3 hours ago, someone said:

You think so?

I think islam is foreign to india. stories relating to muslims don't, or at least, shouldn't have any place in mainstream indian media. its the only way to achieve unity. You have to motivate muslims to act hindu.