Criterion Channel

zen

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

Lone Wolf and Cub inspired Kill Bill.

Could be. There is Lady Snowblood, also on Criterion, as well which is said to be the key inspiration . Might watch Lady Snowblood too 

3 hours ago, zen said:

Could be. There is Lady Snowblood, also on Criterion, as well which is said to be the key inspiration . Might watch Lady Snowblood too 

Indeed, I thought that yukihime was the bigger inspiration when I first saw it.

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

I recommended these only because I'm sure the posters on this thread have exhausted the usual world cinema fare (Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, Nights of Cabiria etc...) along with most of Kubrick's celebrated films like 2001, The Shining, FMJ and EWS. The Killing to me is remarkable because it has a style that while true to the Noir-Heist Aesthetic is at the same time contemporary (You can screen it in 2019 and it will hold its own in the Heist genre films of this decade) and timeless at the same time. For me, the ending is on its own worthy of a film yet to be released -  it is so good in my mind. However, I do also understand if you find it low on your ranking of Kubrick's oeuvre - He is that kind of genius isn't he. From Barry Lyndon to Lolita, is there even a movie that can't be ranked at the top of any list.

yes, I agree with what you wrote. The Killing is certainly not as famous as some other Kubrick films and this ought to change. I also rate Paths of Glory very highly, although this film is much better known

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

yes, I agree with what you wrote. The Killing is certainly not as famous as some other Kubrick films and this ought to change. I also rate Paths of Glory very highly, although this film is much better known

Absolutely, Paths of Glory is pure gold. The force of Kubrick's Humane Philosophy really hits you hardest in this movie above all. He enjoyed being sort of above it all, never really taking sides, in his later movies - As in Lolita, EWS, by Dr. Strangelove he had begun to see the Dark humour in the inevitability of it all. But in Paths of Glory the bright light of hope shines through as a young filmmaker wishing to open people's eyes to the sheer madness of war and the military as an organization.

2 hours ago, Prakat said:

Absolutely, Paths of Glory is pure gold. The force of Kubrick's Humane Philosophy really hits you hardest in this movie above all. He enjoyed being sort of above it all, never really taking sides, in his later movies - As in Lolita, EWS, by Dr. Strangelove he had begun to see the Dark humour in the inevitability of it all. But in Paths of Glory the bright light of hope shines through as a young filmmaker wishing to open people's eyes to the sheer madness of war and the military as an organization.

Agreed. Reading about Kubrick, listening to his family speak about him, etc. it's clear that the guy had a lot of empathy for human beings even if his films didn't explicitly reflect it.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:08 AM, zen said:

Lady Snowblood is good too. Kill Bill even adapted the “chapters” style from it :lol:

personally, I like Yukihime (Lady Snowblood) more than Lone Wolf. beautifully shot and composed film.

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

personally, I like Yukihime (Lady Snowblood) more than Lone Wolf. beautifully shot and composed film.

if you like it, there is part 2 as well. Lady Snowbird and the love song of vengeance (something like that)