NZ v India washout.

6 hours ago, poi said:

I have started simulating matches to see chances for each team's Semifinal probabilities. Note that there are way too many matches still to be played, so I had to cut down the number of simulations to something manageable. So, I have basically assumed that Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka won't be beating any other teams (except themselves if they have remaining matches). I have also not taken into account future rain-abandoned matches. If things change, future simulations will account for all past results.

So, here is where we stand right now (as of Aus vs Pak) ... probabilities after running 32,768 win-loss simulations. Let me know if this has been useful or utter waste of time. I've very much enjoyed doing this as it statistically gives a better view of Semifinal matches.

DX9wWPUr.png

---

If India win tomorrow, here will be the outlook:

QvqAjsdr.png

----

If NewZealand win tomorrow, here will be the outlook:

c5Oa5Wer.png

---

Since this is England, how about the outlook if the NZ vs IND match is abandoned:

AGBXuzNr.png

After tomorrow's Ind-v-NewZealand match, I will simulate future scenarios.

Basically, South Africa is pretty much eliminated. Pakistan's outlook is also pretty bad as they would be fighting against WestIndies and the top teams (India, Australia, England, and NewZealand). NewZealand's position isn't as good as their current records, because their schedule is back-heavy as they've beaten weaker teams so far.

Pak has already played and defeated England. It's Afghanistan they will be playing 

3 hours ago, goose said:

Anyone think they should have adopted the IPL style eliminator between 3rd and 4th place?

That was the first thing I thought of when they announced this format.

Top 4 teams will play the semis, but it's even better to have an incentive for teams to finish in the top 2. Makes the points table more relevant and a bit more exciting.

7 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

How is it good for India?

NZ would happily take the one point. We might end up at 2nd position because of this and have to the play the 3rd team (likely Australia) in the SF instead of finishing atop and playing 4th placers(NZ or WI). Esp given England have lost to Pakistan, it is a great chance for us finishing at the top of the table.

I will take one point. How are you so confident that India will not end up with a loss? NZ just abused India few weeks back.

9 hours ago, poi said:

I have started simulating matches to see chances for each team's Semifinal probabilities. Note that there are way too many matches still to be played, so I had to cut down the number of simulations to something manageable. So, I have basically assumed that Afghanistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka won't be beating any other teams (except themselves if they have remaining matches). I have also not taken into account future rain-abandoned matches. If things change, future simulations will account for all past results.

So, here is where we stand right now (as of Aus vs Pak) ... probabilities after running 32,768 win-loss simulations. Let me know if this has been useful or utter waste of time. I've very much enjoyed doing this as it statistically gives a better view of Semifinal matches.

DX9wWPUr.png

---

QvqAjsdr.png

----

c5Oa5Wer.png

---

Since this is England, how about the outlook if the NZ vs IND match is abandoned:

AGBXuzNr.png

Basically, South Africa is pretty much eliminated. Pakistan's outlook is also pretty bad as they would be fighting against WestIndies and the top teams (India, Australia, England, and NewZealand). NewZealand's position isn't as good as their current records, because their schedule is back-heavy as they've beaten weaker teams so far.

Our resident stat expert. Great job.

11 hours ago, poi said:

DX9wWPUr.png

---

QvqAjsdr.png

----

c5Oa5Wer.png

---

AGBXuzNr.png

great post. The poster has 1 post. wow. 

14 hours ago, poi said:

DX9wWPUr.png

---

QvqAjsdr.png

----

c5Oa5Wer.png

---

AGBXuzNr.png

Awesome work. Does this factor washouts. Can be done based on weather forecast or pc of washouts till now.

15 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

Awesome work. Does this factor washouts. Can be done based on weather forecast or pc of washouts till now.

I might incorporate % of washout when fewer matches are left. If I do it now, the simulations will balloon from 30,000 scenarios to possibly tens of millions or even billions.