Wimbledon 2019

I6MTW

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am in ruins, all over. Never been this dejected over a tennis result, no words really. 

Worst loss ever. Career, legacy, everything a question mark now. Almost did the greatest achievement in tennis. Almost. So heartbreaking.

Nole played the worst major final in his career, second best throughout with 99% of the stadium treating it like a Swiss Davis Cup encounter, yet wtf was that? Fed doesn't deserve the GOAT tag after being such a mental midget. No GOAT in any sport is as unclutch as Fed especially in marquee encounters with top tier rivals. I regret the day I became a hardcore Fed fan, should never have been so much attached to him. Better to be a detached fan of the sport. This day will haunt me, can't imagine the effect it will have on Fed and his family/coaches. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

D_dZSkEX4AMdbSY.jpg

Heartbreaking. But the tiebreak at 12-12 ruined it. Who knows what would've happened if the match went on.

Anyway need a break. Perhaps a long one. I don't think i can be interested in tennis as much as before again. And I don't think/see Federer coming back from this one. It's ironic Nadal used to be Federer's nemesis/pigeon and Djokovic used to be one of the favourable matchups for Federer, but now it's the other way around..out of all the chokes, the most have come when facing Djokovic. 

7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Heartbreaking. But the tiebreak at 12-12 ruined it. Who knows what would've happened if the match went on.

Sure, but that TB rule is justified after last year's farce. Should have been brought into effect post Isner-Mahut clash. Anyway Fed had enough chances to close the match out, he is the only person to blame. Won't get a weaker version of Nole in another GS meeting...even the court conditions were perfect (I was wrong earlier), not very quick lest he has ROS/retrieving troubles but very low bounce at the same time. 

Anyway need a break. Perhaps a long one. I don't think i can be interested in tennis as much as before again. And I don't think/see Federer coming back from this one. It's ironic Nadal used to be Federer's nemesis/pigeon and Djokovic used to be one of the favourable matchups for Federer, but now it's the other way around..out of all the chokes, the most have come when facing Djokovic. 

If you manage to sort your head out please let me know and give some tips, yesterday was brutal. I won't be able to watch another Fed (maybe even tennis unless Rafa is losing) match, not after this. SW19 2008, AO 2009, USO 2009/10/11/15 suddenly look so much more tolerable. The Serb is well on his way to seal the GOAT status in 2 years time.

Edited by Gollum

@Muloghonto did you watch this mega choke? How are you coping as a Fed fan? 

@Dil Dil India @Cricketics ki haal chaal hai bhai log?

I didn't watch the WC F once the tennis started, big regret :((. To say that I am in utter ruins will be a huge understatement, 40-15 on his serve, championship point, next 4 points :facepalm:, stuff of nightmares :wall:.

Edited by Gollum

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I didn't watch the WC F once the tennis started, big regret :((. To say that I am in utter ruins will be a huge understatement, 40-15 on his serve, championship point, next 4 points :facepalm:, stuff of nightmares :wall:.

I am disappointed. I was using my tv control remote all day today because of wc final and wimby final.

It sad, both NZ and Federer lost.

Federer had the championship on his racket but Djoker came back to save those points.

I got impatient by the time it reached 10-10, almost felt they should have had tie break at 6-6.

But all in all Djoker won bigger points so rightly the winner.

Federer still class just sad he could not convert two MPs

Federer had the match with two set points on serve but somehow couldn't convert. Hard to see the conclusion since Fed made all the winners and still ended up losing. Usually Fed wins tiebreakers, but lost thrice in one match :(( Still I was surprised with the energy of Federer considering he is almost 38 and competed with a much younger guy of 32 years old. Now Novac is on the charge to break his grand slam record too.

I always liked Fed and also Nadal. But with Djoker coming in, I don't think he is in that group but still gets wins. Fed and Nadal go for the winners whereas Djoker just keeps the ball in play. I can still picture the SF against Agut where he played 40 shots back and forth without moving much. Is it any wonder that he doesn't get the same respect as the other two. He will be forever remembered as the unforced error king and the guy that bores the audience. RIP tennis :rip:

Edited by Real McCoy

Sometimes I feel, No matter how hardwork u do, A bit of luck should favor you. Otherwise, you would end on the other side. The FINALS that were played on yesterday(ICC CWC FINAL & Wimbledon) are the best examples to support my statement.

Federer needs to see a sports psychologist. Probably 10 years too late, but still better now than never. A sports psychologist would do a world of good, for his confidence and mental strength. It has helped other players/teams of various sports in the past. Most recently Anderson was benefited by a huge amount from seeing a psychologist. Became top 10 for nearly 2 years, made 2 GS finals etc. Federer's problem is always mental strength. He could physcially keep up with a guy 6 years younger to him for 5 hours, had the match on his racquet but couldn't convert because of his choking. For him to recover, he needs counselling and therapy. 

I think the biggest thing that came out of yesterday's final was just how bad Djokovic played. Djokovic was dreadful pretty much all the way through by his own high standards. Yet he somehow managed to win. If Federer couldn't beat Djokovic when Djokovic was returning as badly as he did yesterday then what will he do on the HCs? You would assume Djokovic would go deep at USO and AO because he rarely loses early there.

Just now, bones said:

I think the biggest thing that came out of yesterday's final was just how bad Djokovic played. Djokovic was dreadful pretty much all the way through by his own high standards. Yet he somehow managed to win. If Federer couldn't beat Djokovic when Djokovic was returning as badly as he did yesterday then what will he do on the HCs? You would assume Djokovic would go deep at USO and AO because he rarely loses early there.

Federer played well tactically bar the TBs and on championship points. Probably his best match against Djokovic in recent years. It was purely mental. So many UEs and shanks which wasn't there against Nadal in the SF. Djokovic also wasnt near his high level. Not like 2015 W final. 

Yes I totally agree that Fed was tactically spot on. He was ultra-aggressive and took the balls even early than he usually does. He served well throughout.

That as a returning performance from Novak was one of his worst displays. Fed served well but not lights out, I think he was around 65% 1st serves in for the match and on 2nd serve return Djokovic was awful. I seriously think had Djokovic brought his normal return and ground game to this match he would have broken the back of the match long before it ever reached the 5th set tie-break.

But in the end it won't matter too much for Djokovic - he won playing so bad and on to the USO.

2 minutes ago, bones said:

Yes I totally agree that Fed was tactically spot on. He was ultra-aggressive and took the balls even early than he usually does. He served well throughout.

That as a returning performance from Novak was one of his worst displays. Fed served well but not lights out, I think he was around 65% 1st serves in for the match and on 2nd serve return Djokovic was awful. I seriously think had Djokovic brought his normal return and ground game to this match he would have broken the back of the match long before it ever reached the 5th set tie-break.

But in the end it won't matter too much for Djokovic - he won playing so bad and on to the USO.

I sense a decline from Djokovic. Still enough to beat almost everyone else in the tour. But his level in Wimbledon was nothing special. On HCs there are a lot of players who do well there unlike Grass where the current generation struggles. RBA and Wawrinka on HCs are nightmares to Djokovic. Even Thiem does well in USO. 

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

I am devastated. I was ready to celebrate at 8-7 40-15. I can't believe he lost from being championship points up to Djokovic in a Wimbledon final. He was one point away from securing his legacy in the eyes of even the harshest critics.  At 38 if he had won against Djokodal in bo5 back to back it would have been quite something. No excuse for Federer to lose 3 tiebreaks. This result not only means that Djokovic probably has YE 1, he will also break federer's all time weeks record now. Most importantly at 20-16, the GS record is gone as well.

It really wouldn't have hurt as much if he had just lost in R1 or even in the F in straights. But to have match points and lose is heart breaking. This is the worst I have felt after a sports match, up there with India losing to Pak in CT 17. At least there I knew that it was an anomaly and that India would keep smacking Pak. Here that isn't the case either. It might sound dramatic but I feel empty, a kind of void. It's almost like a break up or the passing on of a loved one. I am going to give up on sport for a while. I thought Kohli and Bewda screwing us over was bad enough, this just pushed me over the edge.

1 hour ago, Dil Dil India said:

I am devastated. I was ready to celebrate at 8-7 40-15. I can't believe he lost from being championship points up to Djokovic in a Wimbledon final. He was one point away from securing his legacy in the eyes of even the harshest critics.  At 38 if he had won against Djokodal in bo5 back to back it would have been quite something. No excuse for Federer to lose 3 tiebreaks. This result not only means that Djokovic probably has YE 1, he will also break federer's all time weeks record now. Most importantly at 20-16, the GS record is gone as well.

It really wouldn't have hurt as much if he had just lost in R1 or even in the F in straights. But to have match points and lose is heart breaking. This is the worst I have felt after a sports match, up there with India losing to Pak in CT 17. At least there I knew that it was an anomaly and that India would keep smacking Pak. Here that isn't the case either. It might sound dramatic but I feel empty, a kind of void. It's almost like a break up or the passing on of a loved one. I am going to give up on sport for a while. I thought Kohli and Bewda screwing us over was bad enough, this just pushed me over the edge.

Agree. The same way I felt. When Federer got the break at 8-7 after being a break down 4-2 I was elated. I got vibes of AO 17. But I was still uncertain whether Federer would be able to serve it out for the championship. Then Federer struck a few first serves and aces and got to 40-15. I thought the legacy was secure. The greatest GS victory in perhaps this century. But then tactical errors at 2 championship points followed by shanks onto the net, Djokovic broke back. Once Djokovic broke back, I knew the match was done. Over. So close. I still imagine what would've happened if Federer converted the MPs. On top of that, the devastating WC final, NZ missing out on a technicality in what has perhaps the greatest ODI of all time. Only the result ruined it. Even the Nimbu tie-break at 12 all was a questionable introduction. It had its reasons, but questionable considering the situation and intensity at that time. The tie-break kinda spoilt the match. Anti-climatic. Who knows what would've happened had the match continued, maybe W 09? Maybe not. 

Anyway I am definitely taking a break from sports. Need one after this.

27 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Agree. The same way I felt. When Federer got the break at 8-7 after being a break down 4-2 I was elated. I got vibes of AO 17. But I was still uncertain whether Federer would be able to serve it out for the championship. Then Federer struck a few first serves and aces and got to 40-15. I thought the legacy was secure. The greatest GS victory in perhaps this century. But then tactical errors at 2 championship points followed by shanks onto the net, Djokovic broke back. Once Djokovic broke back, I knew the match was done. Over. So close. I still imagine what would've happened if Federer converted the MPs. On top of that, the devastating WC final, NZ missing out on a technicality in what has perhaps the greatest ODI of all time. Only the result ruined it. Even the Nimbu tie-break at 12 all was a questionable introduction. It had its reasons, but questionable considering the situation and intensity at that time. The tie-break kinda spoilt the match. Anti-climatic. Who knows what would've happened had the match continued, maybe W 09? Maybe not. 

Anyway I am definitely taking a break from sports. Need one after this.

I think the final doesn't really need a TB. I can understand it for matches before the final as you can otherwise have Anderson like situations from last year. 

I am still very proud of the way Fed played but I've just had it with the sport. And all sports. I need a long break. At least 6 months-1 year.

Edited by Dil Dil India