Shawn Marsh ruled out...Handscomb in

18 hours ago, Gollum said:

Maxy is bowling well and excellent fielder to boot, they should bring in Handscomb in place of Khawaja and push Smith to #3, his favorite position. 

This should be their likely KO XI:

Warner

Finch (c)

Smith

Handscomb

Maxwell

Carey (wk)

Stoinis

Cummins

Starc

Lyon

Behrendorff

Good luck beating that team :phehe:, forget the batting/bowling/clutchness look at the amazing fielders on display. Starc and Lyon might be their worst fielders, that is something !!!!

I doubt we will beat them, hopefully your prophecy about Poms knocking them out in SF comes true (they have the best shot among the 3 teams)...for that to happen Saffers need to do us a favor tomorrow night, not impossible because they are good when there is nothing at stake and Aussies are due a bad day. Also fate works in mysterious ways, will be something if the worst RSA team of all time beats Aussies in the same country 20 years after that famous match happened. Hopefully the bad blood from last year spurs Kock to do something worthwhile for a change, also Rabada who brings his best against them Aussies. 

good team, except that khawaja plays the consolidator role a la Dravid better than handy (handscomb). one potential weakness of Aus team is that they too have a long-ish tail. yes, cummins and starc (and lyon) are good test bats, but these players are not lower middl-order accelerators in the mould of plunkett, rashid and ali (who score at 100+ SR) - they are more like Bhuvi. whatever team faces them should find a way to crack open the opening pair and stewie smith to contain the batting.

If the pitch is very flat and the boundaries on the smaller side, the pommies are actually a superior team to oz in terms of skills (on pattas, let me reiterate). what remains to be seen is whether they have the temperament to execute them. nz vs oz - former will get mauled. ind vs oz was evenly matched IMO prior to dhawan's exit, but it's advantage Oz now.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

good team, except that khawaja plays the consolidator role a la Dravid better than handy (handscomb). one potential weakness of Aus team is that they too have a long-ish tail. yes, cummins and starc (and lyon) are good test bats, but these players are not lower middl-order accelerators in the mould of plunkett, rashid and ali (who score at 100+ SR) - they are more like Bhuvi. whatever team faces them should find a way to crack open the opening pair and stewie smith to contain the batting.

If the pitch is very flat and the boundaries on the smaller side, the pommies are actually a superior team to oz in terms of skills (on pattas, let me reiterate). what remains to be seen is whether they have the temperament to execute them. nz vs oz - former will get mauled. ind vs oz was evenly matched IMO prior to dhawan's exit, but it's advantage Oz now.

Smith at #3 can be the consolidator, and boy do we know what he does in big games !!!! Handscomb is very good against spin, him and Maxy in tandem can finish Kulcha though both have different methods against spin. Whatever I have seen, Kulcha have no answers when Handy is batting.

When the stakes are high I expect Starc, Cummins, Lyon to outbat the English tail...the Aussie DNA you know. Btw all 3 of them can use the long handle, they have shown in tests that they too can belt the ball. 

I agree that on pattas with small boundaries, Poms are the better unit. 

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Smith at #3 can be the consolidator, and boy do we know what he does in big games !!!! Handscomb is very good against spin, him and Maxy in tandem can finish Kulcha though both have different methods against spin. Whatever I have seen, Kulcha have no answers when Handy is batting.

When the stakes are high I expect Starc, Cummins, Lyon to outbat the English tail...the Aussie DNA you know. Btw all 3 of them can use the long handle, they have shown in tests that they too can belt the ball. 

I agree that on pattas with small boundaries, Poms are the better unit. 

they can try giving him a hand with something else. in pressure, yes Oz tail will do better thang but for setting a target and raining some lusty blows eng tail is better - most of them score fast. not just the trio I mentioned but also archer and wood.

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

This should be their likely KO XI:

Warner

Finch (c)

Smith

Handscomb

Maxwell

Carey (wk)

Stoinis

Cummins

Starc

Lyon

Behrendorff

Good luck beating that team :phehe:

Well said! Yes. Stoinis is the only weak link in that batting and Maxwell/Stoinis the only weak link in bowling. This team is the best among the 4 semi-finalists.

England weak links - Rashid in bowling and only 6 really good batsmen instead of 7 like other teams - They will win if the pitch is good for batting and if they have Plunkett/Archer/Wood

New Zealand weak links - Openers, 3rd pacer and Grandhomme

India weakness - Solid 4/5, uncertainty about bowling combination

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

So every one can win except Ind except that we hammered Aus and inexplicably lost to Eng.I am pretty sure we can defeat every single team in the mix. We haven’t played to our potential yet. Kohli hasn’t had a big one yet and who knows Dhongi May fire as well.

12 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

So every one can win except Ind except that we hammered Aus and inexplicably lost to Eng.I am pretty sure we can defeat every single team in the mix. We haven’t played to our potential yet. Kohli hasn’t had a big one yet and who knows Dhongi May fire as well.

nothing inexplicable about our loss. we have scratchy opening in the first 10 overs (mostly due to KLR), and we lack the ability to accelerate at the end thanks to greybeard's decline. and the Eng team utilized the short boundary smartly and came out with a good strategic plan against kulcha. the fact that we won comfortably against aus is largely due to dhawan. his substitute as opener, KLR, is not even 50% as effective as him. remove dhawan and the team looks weaker.

we can still win this WC, and I hope we will. but the fact is that this team does have some important weaknesses that were compounded by loss dhawan.

PS: we can definitely beat NZ without too much difficulty if we face them, but the prospects are rather low (of facing them)

Edited by Vijy
6 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

The team we beat had (Khawaja, NCN, Zampa) replaced now by (HC, Behrendorff, Lyon). We had Dhawan, who scored that century. It is a much tougher equation now, provided Australia play Smith at 3. Sometimes it becomes necessary to drop people (say Khawaja for HC, to play spin) who are scoring well, to fit the right people into the right slots. India might have to do this with Pant, to include Mayank/Rahul/Dhoni.  

2 minutes ago, srh08 said:

The team we beat had (Khawaja, NCN, Zampa) replaced now by (HC, Behrendorff, Lyon). We had Dhawan, who scored that century. It is a much tougher equation now, provided Australia play Smith at 3. Sometimes it becomes necessary to drop people (say Khawaja for HC, to play spin) who are scoring well, to fit the right people into the right slots. India might have to do this with Pant, to include Mayank/Rahul/Dhoni.  

if handy plays our spinners, he, smith and mad max can score quite fast.

23 hours ago, srh08 said:

Things keep falling into place for Aus, by accident. Khawaja hamstring injury means Handscomb will come in at 4/5, and Smith will go back to his favorite position 3.

this will be the right lineup