Shubman Gill needs to be tried in test matches and ODIs

2 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

My only worry is his game vs swing looking at the dismissals and getting caught is slips . For SC, AUS , WI , SA  his game ticks almost all boxes .

They may try to trap him in leg trap with short stuff but guy is smarter . he does not attack every short ball . Once they are  little tired or they do not have enough real pace , 

he can punish them hard as he has fine pull shot .

I would like to see him giving the first spell to Archer in the coming eng series without attacking short balls , he will  have very good chance of making good runs later on .  

Before the england tour in Eng ,  if he does make some refinement to tackle swing , he should  have reasonable England tour .

Thinking about some of the indian players who had success in Eng, most of them played on the front and made runs - esp Vengsarkar , Rahul Dravid.

Being a tall guy he has a good reach  to meet balls before they start swinging big  esp vs Jimmy , Curran  & even Broad. Since he is good vs bounce he can even stay out of the crease and face them . For Archer & Wood he can adapt his normal stance .

Since Eng does not provide the same bounce as AUS , even front put push should work fine in ENg which caused dismissals in Aus due to balls bouncing higher from length & carrying edges to slips.  

1. Stand out of the crease against Anderson, Broad, Curran and Woakes.

2. All our batters need to practice using the crazy swinging ball. Tendulkar used it a lot.

14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1. Stand out of the crease against Anderson, Broad, Curran and Woakes.

A very different approach- Azharuddin suggested Younis khan to stay inside the crease

“I didn’t like seeing a player, who has scored 10,000 runs, bat in this manner. So I called him up and advised him to stay still and inside the crease as it would be easier, and moving around makes it a bit tough.

https://wisden.com/stories/news-stories/azharuddin-suggestion-helped-younis-slam-218-the-oval

How are we gonna accomodate this talent in ODIs,Dhawan and Rohit have a couple of years to give and a left/right combo is ideal for opening.

At 4 he would have to change his game too much which is not ideal at this stage of his career.

Hope Dada/Shastri can make Virat relenquish his #3 spot.

13 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

A very different approach- Azharuddin suggested Younis khan to stay inside the crease

“I didn’t like seeing a player, who has scored 10,000 runs, bat in this manner. So I called him up and advised him to stay still and inside the crease as it would be easier, and moving around makes it a bit tough.

https://wisden.com/stories/news-stories/azharuddin-suggestion-helped-younis-slam-218-the-oval

Kohli stood outside the crease and got great results in England 2018.

26 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

may be that suits more to players who are wristy and master of flick shots who almost never miss that shot. What it would  mean is that such players would wait for the ball to come  and then they will flick it under their nose for runs . If bowlers ball full length , they will drive and most probably they do not play much to balls leaving them out side off.

Looking at the style of Gill play, could be approach of Vengsarkar , Dravid  may suit better as he has a big reach and standing bit outside the crease and using the reach should help him. PLUS lots & lots of practice against swing deliveries.

20 hours ago, express bowling said:

Kohli stood outside the crease and got great results in England 2018.

Kohli's stance is different & he is predominantly a front foot player...  So that works for him.  Gill is different..  He stays leg side a little bit.  Either he will be tougher to dislodge like Smith or struggle big time in England.  Let's see what he comes up with.  Archer & Wood won't trouble him.  

28 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kohli's stance is different & he is predominantly a front foot player...  So that works for him.  Gill is different..  He stays leg side a little bit.  Either he will be tougher to dislodge like Smith or struggle big time in England.  Let's see what he comes up with.  Archer & Wood won't trouble him.  

Gill has a back and across trigger movement.

I feel that if he stands out of the crease to swing bowlers then this back and across trigger movement will position him perfectly to tackle swing. 

Standing at the crease and moving back further with his trigger movement, means he will allow the ball to swing before having to play it. 

And he should not change his original trigger movement because he is doing so well with it.

Edited by express bowling