Shubman Gill needs to be tried in test matches and ODIs

Dont think iyer bowling is good enough to be banked as 6th bowler. 
For one slot has to go among- Jadeja, shankar, krunal, sundar, Abhishek sharma, rana, dube has to be looked in next 4 years........among them jadeja holds the biggest advantage with his fielding in bowling (as wc 2023 is in India)
I don't think he is ready yet....

Yes, he is scoring runs and he is bright prospect but he should be introduced when he is completely ready....

But expect something remarkable by this guy in the future

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

I don't think he is ready yet....

Yes, he is scoring runs and he is bright prospect but he should be introduced when he is completely ready....

But expect something remarkable by this guy in the future

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Me thinks ready for 50 overs,but tough to be in 11 unless 2 out of top 3 are rested. Should not play  T20 for India right now.

Edited by prudent_kreeda
On 8/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, express bowling said:

Since we are 4 years away from the WC, and most ODIs are low profile bilateral series without much consequence,  I would still like to go with this combo because all of Gill, Iyer and Pant need to be given a lot of opportunities to develop their games for WC 2023.

Since WC23 will be in India ,India needs 1 batter in top six who bowls spin. They trying Shankar &Dubey   is ok,but they should find out that 6th batter who is a spinner. As of now Hooda. Rana come to mind. No point in playing Kedar at that place. If someone can emerge that would be great. Can Riyan Parag make it ?  Any other names guys you think can be good for that role?

2 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Since WC23 will be in India ,India needs 1 batter in top six who bowls spin. They trying Shankar &Dubey   is ok,but they should find out that 6th batter who is a spinner. As of now Hooda. Rana come to mind. No point in playing Kedar at that place. If someone can emerge that would be great. Can Riyan Parag make it ?  Any other names guys you think can be good for that role?

No ready made names yet.

Riyan Parag can be groomed. 

Iyer can practice his bowling.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:50 PM, express bowling said:

No ready made names yet.

Riyan Parag can be groomed. 

Iyer can practice his bowling.

No, he bowls even more badly than captain rat. and that's saying something. I think pant should open with rohit. that will free up a middle order slot for either a batting or bowling all rounder. I think hardik can easily bat at 6 and I would put gopal at 7. that allows hardik to focus on his batting a la stokes (not comparing him to stokes though) and makes him a useful 6th bowler. gopal anna can score at a SR of nearly 100. not a big hitter per se, but a fairly competent batsman.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:16 PM, prudent_kreeda said:

Or may be jadeja cud be batted at 5 or 6.....when he bats up n has time it suits his batting. If his batting improves....he ll be one the biggest asset considering next wc is in india and pitches will turn as tournament progress

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Or may be jadeja cud be batted at 5 or 6.....when he bats up n has time it suits his batting. If his batting improves....he ll be one the biggest asset considering next wc is in india and pitches will turn as tournament progress

jaddu is a better test bat than ODI bat. I say this as one of his supporters. of course there are still 4 yrs to go before next WC. not sure how his ODI batting will develop (or regress) by then.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

jaddu is a better test bat than ODI bat. I say this as one of his supporters. of course there are still 4 yrs to go before next WC. not sure how his ODI batting will develop (or regress) by then.

Jaddu looks to have improved overall as batsman in Last 2 yrs

In ODI problem is ....his game isnt suited to no.7......m saying bat him at 5 or 6 and give him more time rather putting him at 7

Gill in the first Unofficial test vs SA-A

--  Scores 90 off 153 balls hitting 13 fours and 1 six.

-- The match has been a low scoring match so far ... the next highest score has been 61 from either side in the first innings. Highest score by a SA batter is 45.

-- SA-A attack boasts test match bowlers like Ngidi and Piedt.

90 runs in a low scoring match is worth a lot !

Edited by express bowling
58 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Scoring 5 runs an over, while chasing slightly less than 6 runs an over, is rather common among even established anchors in international cricket.

At the start, yes. But not when you're 130/0 at and you're batting on 70 odd with 9 batsmen still in the hut. That's a strong enough position to have already gotten a move on.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Moreover, game sense will improve as these youngsters gather more experience, especially if they get to play some international cricket.

Like I said, No. 4 is not the position for him to gain experience. The top order is. Playing him at No. 4 or lower would stunt his growth if anything.

6 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

At the start, yes. But not when you're 130/0 at and you're batting on 70 odd with 9 batsmen still in the hut. That's a strong enough position to have already gotten a move on.

If you see him bat in A-team games ... it is his tendency to get a move on a big too often that has landed him in trouble at times.  He is a stroke player and a free scorer.

Like I said, No. 4 is not the position for him to gain experience. The top order is. Playing him at No. 4 or lower would stunt his growth if anything.

No place in the top 3.  Should not make a talent like him wait for long.  No.4 is the only vacant position now.

Edited by express bowling
7 hours ago, express bowling said:

If you see him bat in A-team games ... it is his tendency to get a move on a big too often that has landed him in trouble at times.

That again is a lack of game sense that is crucial for No. 4 much more than at the top of the order. No. 4 requires you to be a hybrid of both a top order batsman and a finisher, be calculative in your approach, understand which bowlers to target, when they'll be coming into the attack and how many of their overs are left, which ball of the over to try to go for the big shot and which to tap around for ones and twos, being able to play a long innings at a good clip and being able to unleash the big shots in the death overs. Shubman Gill doesn't have the experience of doing all that because all the games he plays now, be it for Punjab, India 'A' or even KKR now, he bats at the opening position.

People probably think of Kohli when they talk about playing Gill at 4 but Kohli batted at 4 even in the U19 World Cup. It's something he was always used to and he had the mentality of a middle order batsman. Gill's preferred position is the opening slot. He probably even asked KKR to give him a chance at opening the innings after he wasn't working at 6. The Indian management, including Dravid too, see him as an opener which is why he opens for India 'A'.

I don't see the point in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Shubman Gill can develop more opening for India 'A' and KKR than playing at 4 for India. If he's sent out at 4 and he scores a string of mediocre scores trying to play in a way he's not used to against international quality bowlers, it's not going to be good for Gill's confidence and selectors and fans alike will lose faith in him too.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

No place in the top 3.  Should not make a talent like him wait for long.  No.4 is the only vacant position now.

You don't force him in the No. 4 slot just because it's vacant. There's already Iyer who should've been playing at that position for at least a year now and has experience scoring big runs in that No.  3/4 slot for Mumbai, India 'A' and Delhi Capitals.

I think Shubman Gill can be drafted into the Test team if/when a spot becomes vacant. I don't think there's a place for him in the ODI team. Sharma and Dhawan are still at the top of their game and there are more deserving for the No. 4 spot than Gill. He doesn't have the necessary skills required to be playing any lower than that.

1 hour ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

That again is a lack of game sense that is crucial for No. 4 much more than at the top of the order. No. 4 requires you to be a hybrid of both a top order batsman and a finisher, be calculative in your approach, understand which bowlers to target, when they'll be coming into the attack and how many of their overs are left, which ball of the over to try to go for the big shot and which to tap around for ones and twos, being able to play a long innings at a good clip and being able to unleash the big shots in the death overs. Shubman Gill doesn't have the experience of doing all that because all the games he plays now, be it for Punjab, India 'A' or even KKR now, he bats at the opening position.

People probably think of Kohli when they talk about playing Gill at 4 but Kohli batted at 4 even in the U19 World Cup. It's something he was always used to and he had the mentality of a middle order batsman. Gill's preferred position is the opening slot. He probably even asked KKR to give him a chance at opening the innings after he wasn't working at 6. The Indian management, including Dravid too, see him as an opener which is why he opens for India 'A'.

I don't see the point in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Shubman Gill can develop more opening for India 'A' and KKR than playing at 4 for India. If he's sent out at 4 and he scores a string of mediocre scores trying to play in a way he's not used to against international quality bowlers, it's not going to be good for Gill's confidence and selectors and fans alike will lose faith in him too.

You don't force him in the No. 4 slot just because it's vacant. There's already Iyer who should've been playing at that position for at least a year now and has experience scoring big runs in that No.  3/4 slot for Mumbai, India 'A' and Delhi Capitals.

I think Shubman Gill can be drafted into the Test team if/when a spot becomes vacant. I don't think there's a place for him in the ODI team. Sharma and Dhawan are still at the top of their game and there are more deserving for the No. 4 spot than Gill. He doesn't have the necessary skills required to be playing any lower than that.

You are expecting a bit too much from a youngster who is yet to debut.