Jump to content
Gollum

Tennis: Construct the ideal player using skill set of members of Big 3

Recommended Posts

On 9/5/2019 at 10:32 PM, Gollum said:

To all tennis fans here, this is fairly self-explanatory. Choose the best among the Big 3 in various attributes like serve, ROS, FH etc. Pick the peak versions of the players. 

 

Ofc this might sound silly because grips and technique won't change so fluidly to accommodate the varying styles, just for fun. Aim is to construct the perfect player combining qualities of these 3 titans. 

 

I'll begin:

Serve- Federer in every aspect of it, variety, placement, precision, tactics, 1st/2nd serve etc

ROS- Djokovic

Standard FH- Federer

Inside Out, Down the Line FH- Nadal

Standard BH- Djokovic

BH DTL- Djokovic

BH CC- Nadal

BH Slice- Federer

Volley- Federer (Nadal's net game is underrated but doesn't make impossible volleys like the Swiss...less variety as well)

Half-Volley- Federer

One-two punch- Federer

Speed- Nadal

Stamina- Nadal

Defence- Djokovic, except on clay where Nadal reigns supreme because of his movement

Footwork- Federer

Touch- Federer

Smash- Federer

Dropshot- Federer

Lob- Djokovic

Tweener, SABR, trick shots etc- Federer

Pick up- Nadal

Change of direction- Djokovic

Flexibility/Stretchability- Djokovic

Tennis IQ- Nadal

Patience- Nadal

Defence to Offence transition- Djokovic

Depth and angles in groundstrokes- Djokovic

BP conversion- Djokovic, except on clay where Nadal is untouchable

Mental Toughness, nerves- Djokovic

Luck- Nadal (sorry couldn't resist :p:)

 

Feel free to add more features/attributes/shots I may have missed.

:nice: 

 

will post mine soon :popcorn: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennis IQ: I think Nole is ahead of Nadal now. 

 

Mental toughness plus legs is key when it comes to 5th set record and Nole towers over his 2 great rivals here. 

 

Also his ROS is the greatest shot in tennis history. Give that weapon to a 50th ranked player and he will become top 10 in a jiffy, that's how extraordinary I think it is. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gollum said:

Tennis IQ: I think Nole is ahead of Nadal now. 

 

Mental toughness plus legs is key when it comes to 5th set record and Nole towers over his 2 great rivals here. 

 

Also his ROS is the greatest shot in tennis history. Give that weapon to a 50th ranked player and he will become top 10 in a jiffy, that's how extraordinary I think it is. 

 

I actually think Murray and Agassi are up there in terms of ROS. Agassi certainly had the most attacking ROS of all time which resulted in straight winners. And that was in an era of fast courts, surface variety, serve and volley etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I actually think Murray and Agassi are up there in terms of ROS. Agassi certainly had the most attacking ROS of all time which resulted in straight winners. And that was in an era of fast courts, surface variety, serve and volley etc. 

But the way Nole sets up the point after ROS, immediately putting the server on backfoot. Forget angles and straight winners, Look at the depth man, remember SW19 2015 where Fed put on a serving masterclass against Murray in SF, in the final Nole's returns were landing near his feet. Agassi's was a high risk game, when it didn't come off he often looked helpless....not as consistent as the Serbian, didn't get as many returns in play but you can make argument about court speed back then. He didn't have the Serbian's wingspan: height+flexibility combo. Also Nole always seems in control, knows exactly where he wants to put the ball while Agassi was instinctive often hoping for the best. Still I would have him as undisputed 2nd best. Murray has a small edge against giant servebots like Isner/Anderson but anything apart from that Nole blows him out of the water. Murray's ROS is better than Fed/Nadal FACT. Ferrer too deserves a mention here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

But the way Nole sets up the point after ROS, immediately putting the server on backfoot. Forget angles and straight winners, Look at the depth man, remember SW19 2015 where Fed put on a serving masterclass against Murray in SF, in the final Nole's returns were landing near his feet. Agassi's was a high risk game, when it didn't come off he often looked helpless....not as consistent as the Serbian, didn't get as many returns in play but you can make argument about court speed back then. He didn't have the Serbian's wingspan: height+flexibility combo. Also Nole always seems in control, knows exactly where he wants to put the ball while Agassi was instinctive often hoping for the best. Still I would have him as undisputed 2nd best. Murray has a small edge against giant servebots like Isner/Anderson but anything apart from that Nole blows him out of the water. Murray's ROS is better than Fed/Nadal FACT. Ferrer too deserves a mention here. 

Ferrer, Nishikori, and Nalbandian had great ROS. 

Nadal's ROS is quite overrated outside of clay. He struggles against big servers with one-two punch game.

Federer ROS was underrated imo. In his prime he was one of the best at handling big servers, before the likes of Nole, and Nadal came. His ROS has declined over the years, but it has improved and can still put up decent performances in recent times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 10:32 PM, Gollum said:

To all tennis fans here, this is fairly self-explanatory. Choose the best among the Big 3 in various attributes like serve, ROS, FH etc. Pick the peak versions of the players. 

 

Ofc this might sound silly because grips and technique won't change so fluidly to accommodate the varying styles, just for fun. Aim is to construct the perfect player combining qualities of these 3 titans. 

 

I'll begin:

Serve- Federer in every aspect of it, variety, placement, precision, tactics, 1st/2nd serve etc

ROS- Djokovic

Standard FH- Federer

Inside Out, Down the Line FH- Nadal

Standard BH- Djokovic

BH DTL- Djokovic

BH CC- Nadal

BH Slice- Federer

Volley- Federer (Nadal's net game is underrated but doesn't make impossible volleys like the Swiss...less variety as well)

Half-Volley- Federer

One-two punch- Federer

Speed- Nadal

Stamina- Nadal

Defence- Djokovic, except on clay where Nadal reigns supreme because of his movement

Footwork- Federer

Touch- Federer

Smash- Federer

Dropshot- Federer

Lob- Djokovic

Tweener, SABR, trick shots etc- Federer

Pick up- Nadal

Change of direction- Djokovic

Flexibility/Stretchability- Djokovic

Tennis IQ- Nadal

Patience- Nadal

Defence to Offence transition- Djokovic

Depth and angles in groundstrokes- Djokovic

BP conversion- Djokovic, except on clay where Nadal is untouchable

Mental Toughness, nerves- Djokovic

Luck- Nadal (sorry couldn't resist :p:)

 

Feel free to add more features/attributes/shots I may have missed.

Serve- Djokovic

ROS- Djokovic

Standard FH- Djokovic

Inside Out, Down the Line FH- Djokovic

Standard BH- Djokovic

BH DTL- Djokovic

BH CC- Djokovic

BH Slice- Djokovic

Volley- Djokovic

Half-Volley- Djokovic

One-two punch- Djokovic

Speed- Djokovic

Stamina- Djokovic

Defence- Djokovic

Footwork- Djokovic

Touch- Djokovic

Smash- :fear1:

Dropshot- Djokovic

Lob-  Djokovic

Tweener, SABR, trick shots etc- :fear:

Pick up- Djokovic

Change of direction- Djokovic

Flexibility/Stretchability- Djokovic

Tennis IQ- Djokovic

Patience- Djokovic

Defence to Offence transition- Djokovic

Depth and angles in groundstrokes- Djokovic

BP conversion- Djokovic

Mental Toughness, nerves- Djokovic

Luck- Nadal

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gollum said:

But the way Nole sets up the point after ROS, immediately putting the server on backfoot. Forget angles and straight winners, Look at the depth man, remember SW19 2015 where Fed put on a serving masterclass against Murray in SF, in the final Nole's returns were landing near his feet. Agassi's was a high risk game, when it didn't come off he often looked helpless....not as consistent as the Serbian, didn't get as many returns in play but you can make argument about court speed back then. He didn't have the Serbian's wingspan: height+flexibility combo. Also Nole always seems in control, knows exactly where he wants to put the ball while Agassi was instinctive often hoping for the best. Still I would have him as undisputed 2nd best. Murray has a small edge against giant servebots like Isner/Anderson but anything apart from that Nole blows him out of the water. Murray's ROS is better than Fed/Nadal FACT. Ferrer too deserves a mention here. 

Nole's depth is sick :thumb:

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gollum said:

But the way Nole sets up the point after ROS, immediately putting the server on backfoot. Forget angles and straight winners, Look at the depth man, remember SW19 2015 where Fed put on a serving masterclass against Murray in SF, in the final Nole's returns were landing near his feet. Agassi's was a high risk game, when it didn't come off he often looked helpless....not as consistent as the Serbian, didn't get as many returns in play but you can make argument about court speed back then. He didn't have the Serbian's wingspan: height+flexibility combo. Also Nole always seems in control, knows exactly where he wants to put the ball while Agassi was instinctive often hoping for the best. Still I would have him as undisputed 2nd best. Murray has a small edge against giant servebots like Isner/Anderson but anything apart from that Nole blows him out of the water. Murray's ROS is better than Fed/Nadal FACT. Ferrer too deserves a mention here. 

:agree:

Nole doesn't need to go for Straight winners. His return depth & position gives an instant advantage in the rally :fight:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCyH8tCHhpU

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Ferrer, Nishikori, and Nalbandian had great ROS. 

Agree, this despite them being on the shorter side. 

Quote

Nadal's ROS is quite overrated outside of clay. He struggles against big servers with one-two punch game.

Agree once again. Also in PC if advertisement hoardings weren't so far behind he wouldn't enjoy the court so much. Same in Monte Carlo. I mean come on, look at this comedy...

Image result for nadal return position

Image result for nadal return position

Quote

Federer ROS was underrated imo. In his prime he was one of the best at handling big servers, before the likes of Nole, and Nadal came. His ROS has declined over the years, but it has improved and can still put up decent performances in recent times. 

Great hand-eye but in his peak years too much slice, block, chip returns especially on BH side...too passive against weak serves. Wish he had 2017 topspin BH then, he could have stepped closer and employed bigger backswing esp against Nadal's second serve (which he never fed to Swiss' FH side), should have ripped more returns in some of his losses in 2007-09 period. But then his racquet head was smaller which gave more sting to his legendary FH...very difficult choice, had to compromise one part of his game. He handled big servers pretty well, excellent at getting the ball back in which is ultimately what one needs to do against those giants. 

 

PS- Also read about Connors ROS, maybe someone like @Muloghonto must have seen him live....entirely different technology then but must be in conversation.

Edited by Gollum
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 12:39 AM, Gollum said:

Agree, this despite them being on the shorter side. 

Agree once again. Also in PC if advertisement hoardings weren't so far behind he wouldn't enjoy the court so much. Same in Monte Carlo. I mean come on, look at this comedy...

Image result for nadal return position

 

 

WAC:argh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...