Actors with great screen presence

zen

11 hours ago, zen said:

We are taking about globally recognized legends. I am sure there would be actors in Bhojpuri, Bengali, Tamil, Egyptian, Polish, Iranian, Korean, etc. films with good screen presence too :p:

'Globally recognized' is subjective. A Govinda is going to be a familiar face with a larger percentage of the population of the world today than a Cary Grant. Most Americans of today wouldn't recognize Grant if he were to walk past them today.

On the other hand, the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik or SRK would get mobbed if they were to step on the streets many parts of the world. The sub continent, the Middle East and North Africa, and regions of the erstwhile Soviet Union.

9 hours ago, riya said:

surely one of the finest entertainers of all time Indian cinema have ever seen...Even with the presence of beautiful heroines around him he just takes away all the attention with his timing! very talented indeed.

His comic timing is second bar none. And though he did only the slapstick comedy routine for most of his career, his screen presence is undeniable.

He is also a very under rated dancer. His slow deliberate movements always stand out, even when he shares the screen with much more talented dancers.

An out and out legend.

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

His comic timing is second bar none. And though he did only the slapstick comedy routine for most of his career, his screen presence is undeniable.

He is also a very under rated dancer. His slow deliberate movements always stand out, even when he shares the screen with much more talented dancers.

An out and out legend.

I watched Bade Miyan Chote Miyan yesterday. even though its a remake of Bad Boys, Govinda just steals the show. No Will Smith or Martin Lawrence can ever match his comic timing. 

13 hours ago, maniac said:

Even though I agree that was overacting to the power of infinity :laugh:, I think a method actor l is overrated. I mean if you can’t play an  instrument and can convince the audience that you are a great musician is a bigger challenge than actually learning the instrument.

I disagree, they don't need to learn a new instrument, but observe the nuances and use fingers, body language etc to show they know the act like a pro. Instance, in this movie Pt. Bismillah Khan played the shennai in the background. Look at how Rajkumar plays it very similarly catching its nuances.

13 hours ago, maniac said:

The greatest actor to play Devdas was Akkineni Nageswara Rao who was a teetotaler. Even Dilip Kumar whose performance  northies hype up admitted the same. I think Yuchup kumar was a teetotaler too because of Sharaab being haraam.

C'mon DK/YK was miles ahead. He is the best actor, almost like Anthony Hopkins or DDL.  shah rukh Khan's devdas was not in the same leagua as the other two. It was like Kapil Sharma in a Shakespeare's play. He made it comical unintenionally. @Real McCoy I am not a fan of SG, he acts more intentionally, but he has enrolled a lot of chars topnotch when he grossly underplays. He trounced KH in Thevar Magan.

Nothing beats Nicholas Cage's drunk act in Leaving Las Vegas. You can actually believe he is fighting addiction. Am a big fan of method acting, a lot get it right. Deniro's boxer is an example. DDL's Lincoln is so much believable. 

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

'Globally recognized' is subjective. A Govinda is going to be a familiar face with a larger percentage of the population of the world today than a Cary Grant. Most Americans of today wouldn't recognize Grant if he were to walk past them today.

On the other hand, the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik or SRK would get mobbed if they were to step on the streets many parts of the world. The sub continent, the Middle East and North Africa, and regions of the erstwhile Soviet Union.

:lol:  .... Grant is a life time achievement Oscar winner and a global superstar in his prime. While guys like SRK struggle to be recognized at US airports even in their prime .... Priyanka Chopra makes more news now a days than many of the current desi stars

PS try searching for Cary Grant on Amazon.com to see how popular his films are even now :nod:

Edited by zen

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

C'mon DK/YK was miles ahead. He is the best actor, almost like Anthony Hopkins or DDL.  shah rukh Khan's devdas was not in the same leagua as the other two. It was like Kapil Sharma in a Shakespeare's play. He made it comical unintenionally. @Real McCoy I am not a fan of SG, he acts more intentionally, but he has enrolled a lot of chars topnotch when he grossly underplays. He trounced KH in Thevar Magan.

Nothing beats Nicholas Cage's drunk act in Leaving Las Vegas. You can actually believe he is fighting addiction. Am a big fan of method acting, a lot get it right. Deniro's boxer is an example. DDL's Lincoln is so much believable. 

Only people who didn’t watch the ANR version feel that way. As I said Dilip Khan himself said that ANR devdas was the best version. That’s not a knock on DK's abilities 

Edited by maniac

11 minutes ago, zen said:

ANR? :hmmmm:

Akkineni Nageswara Rao. Dada Saheb Phalke Award Winner and father of Actor Nagarjuna. A legendary Telugu actor. In fact in the days of over the top acting because most actors came from the stage, he was the original innovator of underplaying and giving subdued performance in South Indian cinema. Some of his famous roles include navarathri where he played 9 roles later remade with Sanjiv Kumar, Playing Devdas etc.

He was a lifelong atheist and teetotaler but it's funny that his most famous roles were either playing a ardent devotee like Tukaram or the alcoholic Devdas and prem nagar later remade with Rajesh Khanna..

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

Akkineni Nageswara Rao. Dada Saheb Phalke Award Winner and father of Actor Nagarjuna. A legendary Telugu actor. In fact in the days of over the top acting because most actors came from the stage, he was the original innovator of underplaying and giving subdued performance in South Indian cinema. Some of his famous roles include navarathri where he played 9 roles later remade with Sanjiv Kumar, Playing Devdas etc.

He was a lifelong atheist and teetotaler but it's funny that his most famous roles were either playing a ardent devotee like Tukaram or the alcoholic Devdas and prem nagar later remade with Rajesh Khanna..

Post clips if available :dance:

19 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Another iconic scene from the same movie is the " mein aaj bhi phenke hue paise nahi uthata"

When I was a kid, I used to worship AB and have seen most his movies several times. I am sure I won’t be able to get through most of them today, but there are a few, I would still enjoy like Deewar, Anand, Mili, Namak Haram, Sholay, Bemisal, etc etc. I am talking about the Young Bachchan, not old version.

Edited by Audiophile

On 10/16/2019 at 2:11 AM, Mariyam said:

An out and out legend.

The way he coordinated the expressions with those dance moves...Grand feast his dance sequences!!!....talk about getting more than what you are paying for.....