RANJI TROPHY 2019-20

Suhaan

I am amazed over and over by how Anustup Majumdar has not played for India. He is probably one of the best batting technicians in India at the moment. His home ground, Eden Gardens, is fairly bowler-friendly, so he does not have inflated batting statistics (like a Sarfraz Khan, say), but boy, he can play!!

Add to that he has great hand-eye coordination, which shows in his beautiful in-field catching, and I believe the national set-up has genuinely "done him dirty".

IIRC, when East Zone won the Duleep Trophy 2011/12, he was an invaluable contributor of tough runs (along with Natraj Behera, but that is a different story for another time).

I am quite sure if Anustup Majumdar was not a native Bengali speaker, no one would be speaking of Virat "Rat" Kohli or whichever diva is the toast of the country at the moment, but Anustup.

1 hour ago, abc said:

I am amazed over and over by how Anustup Majumdar has not played for India. He is probably one of the best batting technicians in India at the moment. His home ground, Eden Gardens, is fairly bowler-friendly, so he does not have inflated batting statistics (like a Sarfraz Khan, say), but boy, he can play!!

Add to that he has great hand-eye coordination, which shows in his beautiful in-field catching, and I believe the national set-up has genuinely "done him dirty".

IIRC, when East Zone won the Duleep Trophy 2011/12, he was an invaluable contributor of tough runs (along with Natraj Behera, but that is a different story for another time).

I am quite sure if Anustup Majumdar was not a native Bengali speaker, no one would be speaking of Virat "Rat" Kohli or whichever diva is the toast of the country at the moment, but Anustup.

His FC average is 37.

4 hours ago, abc said:

He got multiple chances to play for India A but could not do anything at all. Then got injured in 2012-13, missed a few seasons and then got derailed.

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Anustup Majumdar is one batsman who seems to have the knack of playing fighting innings whenever his team is in trouble. Have seen it for many years. 

He may not be a very consistent performer.

But he is very consistent when his team is in trouble.

This is the type of back-to-the-wall efforts Team India needs right now and hope those in the team following the scores take inspiration. 

For Anustup though, the India cap was always a stretch. Given that he even compromised on job safety of Railways to pursue the dream at Bengal, he would be proud of his efforts at this stage of his career at the biggest stage in Indian domestic cricket. With his background, he does have a future in coaching.

With Paddikal out of form and Karun without too many runs to his name, this will be an interesting day tomorrow. 

10 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Top class bowling by Ishan Porel, every single ball bang on target, extracting swing and seam.

Very competitive pitch prepared by Bengal.

Bengal have troubled both Delhi and Gujarat here. They are a fine bowling side, especially Eden has been brilliant for seamers. This will require some solid batting to avoid first innings deficit.

There have been far too many bowling pitches this season

Yes,bats too need to battle the conditions,but it presents a wrong picture of bowlers like Udaankat,Harshal Patel who will never pose challenge to any batsmen in intl cricket, cherish these conditions

Disclaimer-Porel seems a prospect he gets bounce and is ultra accurate,not talking about him

2 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

There have been far too many bowling pitches this season

Yes,bats too need to battle the conditions,but it presents a wrong picture of bowlers like Udaankat,Harshal Patel who will never pose challenge to any batsmen in intl cricket, cherish these conditions

Disclaimer-Porel seems a prospect he gets bounce and is ultra accurate,not talking about him

Has any of the young talents played an Anustup like innings this season? I know Sarfaraz has scored a lot of runs but don't think they were in difficult batting conditions. Who is the next solid test bat coming through the ranks?

16 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He got multiple chances to play for India A but could not do anything at all. Then got injured in 2012-13, missed a few seasons and then got derailed.

Ja, sort of same old story isn't it? Bengal players and injuries :wall:

5 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Has any of the young talents played an Anustup like innings this season? I know Sarfaraz has scored a lot of runs but don't think they were in difficult batting conditions. Who is the next solid test bat coming through the ranks?

Anustup was fantastic,but is 35 already dont think he is even in radar

Ffs, why can't it just rain for the next three days in Kolkata? The same rain, e.g., that saved Gujarat from a hiding. Possibly also a bit of bad light for good measure XD

Edited by abc