The Sarabjit Singh affair|Sarabjit Singh dies in Lahore: TV reports

Tapioca

his family claims he crossed the border when he was drunk.
Families will generally tend to side with their children. I am not denying or confirming Sarabjit was a spy. I just want people to take note that it is the Pakistan SC who had convicted Sarabjit for Punjab blasts in 1990. I have no idea if he did it or not.

Absolutely I agree - no denying that but saying that it is state inspired conspiracy fait accompli is jumping the gun.
sarabjit is basically considered by pakistanis to be their kasab. tit for tat. thats why i personally was against the death penalty to kasab. if he rotted in jail for the rest of his life in india, i personally would have been fine with it, but again i was not affected personally by mumbai attacks, so i dont want to hurt the sentiments of those whose family members died. the point im trying to make however is that since election season is almost around for pakistan, i wouldnt rule out possibility of a state killing. although until further evidence comes, i wont take a stance. the problem in pakistan however is independent investigation will be very tough.

and these pakis artists are given a royal welcome here in india' date=',,,anyway,,,nothing will change as long as ''aman ki aasha'' coo'l dudes are here in india[/quote'] dude has ali zafar killed someone? has wasim akram come on streets of delhi chanting allah hu akbar and killing our people? it is still my personal belief till this day that wasim akram likes india more than his home country, especially with the care his wife was given in Chennai when she was in her last days. dont treat all as the same.

IDK what "spy" means but Sarabjit was convicted by the Pakistan SC for string in bomb blasts in 1990 which killed 14 people.
See wikipedia article on Saranjit Singh. Trial of Sarabjit Singh was full of loopholes with very few credible evidences. Apparently, Pakistan police had to find somebody for those bomb blasts and they found Sarabjit Singh in inebriated state. How likely it is that a top spy of the country will involve himself in heavy drinking when he is still in land of enemy? Sarabjit Singh case was dubious right from the beginning. That is the reason why he had so much support even within Pakistan. Few human right activists were championing initiatives for his release. On your other post, yes human rights go for a toss when it comes to matter between countries. Almost all countries of the world are guilty of that. And what we can say about Indian prisons. This is one thing India should reform first. It is just appalling that more than 65% of our prisoners are the ones who are yet to be proven guilty of any crime.

Sarabjit Singh: ‘An extraordinary miscarriage of justice’

Advocate Awais Sheikh, the lawyer for Indian national Sarabjit Singh, is to launch a book on March 1 (Friday) explaining why he believes his client’s conviction and imprisonment is “an extraordinary miscarriage of justice”. Singh was sentenced to death in 1990 after being convicted of carrying out bomb blasts in Lahore and Faisalabad that killed 14 people. In Sarabjit Singh A Case of Mistaken Identity, Sheikh states that his client accidentally crossed the border into Pakistan and was then set up to take the fall for the bombings. The 199-page book, published by Rajkamal Prakashan Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, will be launched at the Lahore Press Club on March 1. It seeks to detail various flaws in the investigation, trial and appeals in the case and includes letters written by Singh to his family in India and to himself in prison, as well as to the Indian and Pakistani governments asking for his release. Sheikh writes that Singh did not get due process, that fundamental legal issues were not addressed, and that the investigation agency introduced false witnesses. “Sarabjit has certainly been a victim of unfair conviction that has caused him to be in prison for his entire adult life,” he writes. For one, the FIR of the case, registered on the complaint of then Lahore commissioner Shahid Rafi, nominates one Manjit Singh, son of Mehanga Singh. Sheikh points out that his client is Sarabjit Singh, son of Salakhan Singh. Sarabjit Singh was produced before the magistrate by a Military Intelligence officer on September 8, 1990. The magistrate proceeded with the case of Manjit Singh and “did not listen to Sarabjit, who repeatedly said that he was not Manjit Singh. He did not bother to confirm and verify the name of the accused produced in his court.” Having failed to resolve the question of identity, Sheikh says, “All subsequent proceedings in this case are illegal and against the facts of the case.” At this stage, Singh had no access to counsel. He was unable to contact his family in India and tell them of his arrest. The government of Pakistan failed to pass on the news of his arrest to his family, which was a violation of international law. Sheikh writes that Singh’s supposed confession, which was the basis for his conviction, did not carry his signature or thumb print. In his statement before the judge of the special court, Singh denied the charges and said that Manjit Singh had been arrested and subsequently let off, and he had been presented as a “substitute”. The sole witness in the case, Shaukat Ali, had stated that he had been forced to testify against Singh, Sheikh writes. In a letter, Singh writes that after being arrested, he was produced before a Major Ghulam Abbas. “He said abruptly, ‘You are Manjit Singh.’ I said no. he nodded to the soldier. The soldiers started beating me … My cries and laments fell on deaf ears. At last I was turned into Manjit Singh and, though I was not an accused, was convicted of the bomb blasts.” He criticises the judge in another letter. “All the evidence recorded and the cross-questioning carried out were in my favour. The judge of the terrorism court, Aslam Shami, nullified the cross-questions,” Singh says. “The judges in Pakistan only see that such and such a person has been accused by the police and rule, therefore, that he must be the culprit. They don’t go in to the statements of the witnesses nor see the exploitation of the police. The judges, I have seen, bow easily to any political pressure. Instead of giving justice they end up being part of the game … in their hearts they are afraid of the power of the police. The police and judiciary often work in the same way. If there happens to be a government case against a person, then only Allah, ‘Bhagwan, Wahe guru’ can save the person,” Singh writes in another letter. In another, he complains about his treatment in jail. “I was mentally tortured in 2006-07. My pen and paper and other things were snatched. Even now they turn to old tricks. The man in the cell next to me, Karpal Singh, is a total nuisance. He gives false information about me to the jailors.” And later: “I have not been allowed to sit in the sun. Here I can get sunlight for only an hour or so.” Citing a Supreme Court judgement, Sheikh says that as Singh has spent 22 years in solitary confinement in jail, his sentence should be commuted to life imprisonment. “I am hopeful that the president will consider the clemency appeals filed,” he writes. Published in The Express Tribune, February 28th, 2013.
http://tribune.com.pk/story/513509/sarabjit-singh-an-extraordinary-miscarriage-of-justice/

dude has ali zafar killed someone? has wasim akram come on streets of delhi chanting allah hu akbar and killing our people? it is still my personal belief till this day that wasim akram likes india more than his home country' date=' especially with the care his wife was given in Chennai when she was in her last days. dont treat all as the same.[/quote'] No Pakistani citizen should be allowed to enter India as long as Pakistan continues to sponsor terrorism against India. All diplomatic , social , cultural, sporting ties with Pakistan should be suspended. Ali Zafar aur Wasim Akram ko India se etni hi Mohabbat hai to kyu nai bolte apni sarkar ko ki India ke khilaf apni Jihad band kare ? We do not need their actors, singers and phast bowlers in our country.

No Pakistani citizen should be allowed to enter India as long as Pakistan continues to sponsor terrorism against India. All diplomatic , social , cultural, sporting ties with Pakistan should be suspended. Ali Zafar aur Wasim Akram ko India se etni hi Mohabbat hai to kyu nai bolte apni sarkar ko ki India ke khilaf apni Jihad band kare ? We do not need their actors, singers and phast bowlers in our country.
ok you have your view and i have mine.

ok you have your view and i have mine.
see india doesnt owe any aliii zafar a career,,,,how many indian artists are allowed to perform there in pak,,,visa of EUROPHRIA was cancelled at last moment,,,and there r many other instances,,,,,neither india owe a wasim his post retirement career,,,,have u ever watched a pakistani channel tpo how much venom they spill against india,,,,

abey saalon they export terrorism to india they send people like kasab to masscare innocent humans they spew hatred against India 24/7 they falsely implicate indians on terrorism charges and people are talking ties shud be never cut off with Pakistan.Pakistan has only one identity hate India

See wikipedia article on Saranjit Singh. Trial of Sarabjit Singh was full of loopholes with very few credible evidences. Apparently, Pakistan police had to find somebody for those bomb blasts and they found Sarabjit Singh in inebriated state. How likely it is that a top spy of the country will involve himself in heavy drinking when he is still in land of enemy? Sarabjit Singh case was dubious right from the beginning. That is the reason why he had so much support even within Pakistan. Few human right activists were championing initiatives for his release. On your other post, yes human rights go for a toss when it comes to matter between countries. Almost all countries of the world are guilty of that. And what we can say about Indian prisons. This is one thing India should reform first. It is just appalling that more than 65% of our prisoners are the ones who are yet to be proven guilty of any crime.
I understand that - but the problem seems that the highest judicial authority in Pakistan has pronounced him guilty. I am no legal expert but can't both the governments settle this in an independent court of arbitration or something like that?

sarabjit is basically considered by pakistanis to be their kasab. tit for tat. thats why i personally was against the death penalty to kasab. if he rotted in jail for the rest of his life in india' date=' i personally would have been fine with it, but again i was not affected personally by mumbai attacks, so i dont want to hurt the sentiments of those whose family members died.[b'] the point im trying to make however is that since election season is almost around for pakistan, i wouldnt rule out possibility of a state killing. although until further evidence comes, i wont take a stance. the problem in pakistan however is independent investigation will be very tough.
Same with me.