Is Rishabh Pant the Afridi of Indian team ?

kubrickian

No problem with today's inning.. intent was their.. but purley intent won't suffice.. u need to hv good execution also.. 

the moot issue is the way he is getting out.. trying to hoick wildly.. thus loosing out the balance & end up getting castled by a dibly dobly saumya sarkar.. the way he is getting out of late will evn put a tailender to shame..  to hit big u need to hv a strong base & perfect balance.. if u come up swinging like a monsoon's swing with no timing & balance.. then it's tantamount to indian version of duckridi

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the same guy who cudnt score in australia is better then who has a 100 in australia 

hold on such remarks as pant career has just begun

One knock among majority flop shows. He needs to go back to domestic cricket and has to work on temperament, technique. International cricket is not the stage where you learn how to bat.

Just now, Norman said:

As much as we like to downplay Afretard , he was still an extremely valuable white ball cricketer who could always give his full quota of overs and could go from ball one with the bat. 

Pant looks average in wicket keeping as well as batting. He has to be dropped. Period. 

Who will replace him? Sanju Sampson?

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

That's not a great excuse. it wasn't like the last ball of the innings. aggressive hitting doesn't mean blind swinging. You still have to pick an area, figure out the length etc.

how was ut blind slogging thats his go to shot, the same shot he hit for 6 in game 1......he got caught on boundary it wasnt that he mistimed it

it doesnt come of every day

7 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

One knock among majority flop shows. He needs to go back to domestic cricket and has to work on temperament, technique. International cricket is not the stage where you learn how to bat.

one knock was in england to 

how many knocks do u expect in such short career.....if u want me to count raina failure it wud be worse 

38 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Judge Rishabh on his ODI batting over 15 games. Not over a handful of T20s.  

Keep calm and give the young man some space.  Indian team is good enough, strong enough to afford to do so.

If after a bit of long rope he still doesn't figure it out, we have Ishan Kishan, Sanju, etc waiting in the wings.

Yes that seems to be the issue, he's not been given enough opportunities

:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

how was ut blind slogging thats his go to shot, the same shot he hit for 6 in game 1......he got caught on boundary it wasnt that he mistimed it

it doesnt come of every day

U know wht blind slogging is.. problem with pant is..all this media hype has gone into his head so much so.. dat..he thinks he can go nd shred the cricket balls into pieces.. & it's not a one time occurrence dat can be pushed into the cold corner.. 

All this wild slogging is messing up big time with this timing & balance.. likes of kohli, rohit, rahul all also hits sixes.. but they depend on timing & balance instead.. while with pant all of the imperatives goes for a toss.  What's the difference between slogging of pant, umesh & afridi if it only is meant to connect with thin air more often then not? 

Edited by Amit228
5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Yes. Him or Ishan Kishan. 

I don't think Ishan is any better....At least guys like Samson when in zone bats like proper batsmen...more than technique this guy pant attitude looks so bad. He comes to the crease with sluggish walk doesn't run well and on top of that looses Ballance while playing shots and have this victim mentality also laughs like an idiot while gets out on loose shots.

7 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

you guys still have blinders on,he just doesnt have the batting skills for LOI cricket,he can succeed in tests where he can pick the balls to hit.

Im fully prepared to move on from him. But I disagree about his LOI limitations , specifically T20s. His game is built for T20s. But his performances and decision making are not good enough at the moment. What's also working against him is the fact that the pressure to follow Dhoni would be tough for anybody in his position. Pant is a bit like a Bali Ka Bakra in this sense.

Good thing for him is that he's 22 so there's plenty of time for him to work his game out even if he loses his place in the team.

When Rohit said we have to play smart cricket ,  I think he meant Rishabh Pant has to play smarter cricket :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

U know wht blind slogging is.. problem with pant is..all this media hype has gone into his head so much so.. dat..he thinks he can go nd shred the cricket balls into pieces.. & it's not a one time occurrence dat can be pushed into the cold corner.. 

but thats his game n role

If rohit takes time we have problem with that 

If pant goes bang bang from ball -1 wo bhi problem

Chahiye kya 

2 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

All this wild slogging is messing up big time with this timing & balance.. likes of kohli, rohit, rahul all also hits sixes.. but they depend on timing & balance instead.. while with pant all of the imperatives goes for a toss.  What's the difference between slogging of pant, umesh & afridi if it only is meant to connect with thin air more then often? 

the diff is pant will get better and be a match winner .....this is an investment phase. umesh will not be that batsman ever and afridi was good until he stopped working hard on batting

Guys like Rohit, yuvi took 5-6 years , have some patience. he is just 21 and players take time to evolve.  u dnt get readymade players 

Firstly I would say he is the darling of the forum. People will come up with an excuse every innings. It was this, it was that blah blah.

Sanju Manju made a good point about Pant's batting tonight, for a hitter of the ball he mishits lots of balls. I think the fundamental issue here is the batting slot. The kind of player he is, I think he will excel when the field is up where his mishits can give him runs especially with his leg side dominated game, his record in tests is testament to that fact wherein he gets enough gaps. 

No injustice has been done with Pant in LOIs, infact his abilities have been overestimated. Even this series so far he has been promoted in lieu of Iyer, who has been badly treated after the productive last series. If Pant continuous in the middle order he would need to find a way. He has good intent but not backed by ability which has been criminally overrated. He needs to force the bowler to bowl to his strength.

Injustice done to Pant has been in tests, where he was summarily dismissed without any cogent reasoning 

Just now, Dada's Army said:

Im fully prepared to move on from him. But I disagree about his LOI limitations , specifically T20s. His game is built for T20s. But his performances and decision making are not good enough at the moment. What's also working against him is the fact that the pressure to follow Dhoni would be tough for anybody in his position. Pant is a bit like a Bali Ka Bakra in this sense.

Good thing for him is that he's 22 so there's plenty of time for him to work his game out even if he loses his place in the team.

When Rohit said we have to play smart cricket ,  I think he meant Rishabh Pant has to play smarter cricket :laugh:

Yeah..the way he is regressing is really alarming.. if he continues in the same fashion then he will end up being indian verison umar akmal & afridi.. 

It's not that he has not shown wht he possesses... A la his IPL exploits... Where he relied on timing as well as placement to hit big.. however now he is solely resorting to plain leg side hoicking.. a la a tailender.. his wild slogging is making his batting looks so shabby & cringe Inducing.. 

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Firstly I would say he is the darling of the forum. People will come up with an excuse every innings. It was this, it was that blah blah.

Sanju Manju made a good point about Pant's batting tonight, for a hitter of the ball he mishits lots of balls. I think the fundamental issue here is the batting slot. The kind of player he is, I think he will excel when the field is up where his mishits can give him runs especially with his leg side dominated game, his record in tests is testament to that fact wherein he gets enough gaps. 

No injustice has been done with Pant in LOIs, infact his abilities have been overestimated. Even this series so far he has been promoted in lieu of Iyer, who has been badly treated after the productive last series. If Pant continuous in the middle order he would need to find a way. He has good intent but not backed by ability which has been criminally overrated. He needs to force the bowler to bowl to his strength.

Injustice done to Pant has been in tests, where he was summarily dismissed without any cogent reasoning 

Very well put.