Austin 3:!6

Babar Azam - an ATG in making?

I dont know about tests but in LOIs he is doing fine enough, No 1 ranking shows his consistency but no way he is the best batsman at present and even Pakistanis are aware of that fact. I have started respecting him more since the day our superstars failed against NZ in 2019 wc when Pakistan had chased down similar target against NZ few days before SF. He seems to be unaffected by all the comparisons with Indian counterparts and seems to know his limitations as well as strength, definitely Pakistan's best batsman. Plus he is legit 26,so good 10-12 yrs ahead for him. 

56 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

I dont know about tests but in LOIs he is doing fine enough, No 1 ranking shows his consistency but no way he is the best batsman at present and even Pakistanis are aware of that fact. I have started respecting him more since the day our superstars failed against NZ in 2019 wc when Pakistan had chased down similar target against NZ few days before SF. He seems to be unaffected by all the comparisons with Indian counterparts and seems to know his limitations as well as strength, definitely Pakistan's best batsman. Plus he is legit 26,so good 10-12 yrs ahead for him. 

Why do you think he is legit 26? When Pakistanis themselves say that they reduce their age by couple of years on an average , I am not sure Babar will be 26. He is likely 28.

Ofcourse that's nothing to discredit him as a batsman. He is still a world class batsman and have rightly got the number 1 position.

He's a great player. One of the best that padosis have ever produced and would probably end up as their greatest ever. Seems like a quite, humble and a likeable guy too, which is pretty surprising as his fellow countrymen were/are usually guilty of forgetting their auqaat when they get a bit of fame. 

Too bad he's got an insecure and a desperate fanbase who do more harm to him than good by forcing him in with the decade old run machines like Smith , Kohli, Root and Kane who have achieved a lot more than him. He has got a grand total of 1 Test hundred away from home FGS...

1 hour ago, RajBan said:

Why do you think he is legit 26? When Pakistanis themselves say that they reduce their age by couple of years on an average , I am not sure Babar will be 26. He is likely 28.

Ofcourse that's nothing to discredit him as a batsman. He is still a world class batsman and have rightly got the number 1 position.

He looked 18-19 to me when he was captain of u-19 wc in 2012. Anyways we are way too judgemental when it comes to age, What makes you think he is 28 and not 26? 

2 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

He looked 18-19 to me when he was captain of u-19 wc in 2012. Anyways we are way too judgemental when it comes to age, What makes you think he is 28 and not 26? 

When age fudging is rampant in Pakistani cricket with many senior cricketers admitting post their retirement, I find it difficult to believe that he is 26. 

5 hours ago, First class said:

Some people always find something negative from nowhere. 

Not being negative. I am just stating the way it is.  Babar is a brilliant timer of the ball and his ability to play late and dissect the field is really world class. But to add qualifiers that he is young and 26 in the context of how good a player he is, invariably takes the discussion to his age.

He is a batsmen Pakistan needed for a long time since M.Yousaf. I can see him breaking Pakistani batting records. If he wants to be considered the best ever Pakistani batsmen he is gonna need to improve his game in Test cricket. Lets see how his journey unfolds.

31 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

He is a batsmen Pakistan needed for a long time since M.Yousaf. I can see him breaking Pakistani batting records. If he wants to be considered the best ever Pakistani batsmen he is gonna need to improve his game in Test cricket. Lets see how his journey unfolds.

It was joy to watch Hanif Mohd, Zaheer Abbas and Javed Miandad. All three very different styles of players. Yusuf was top class too. When i watch Babar Azam, there is lack of quality when compared to Hanif Mohd, Abbas and Miandad bat even Yusuf. Azam is nowhere in their pedigree. It will be a herculean task for him to be in their class as far as tests are concerned.

Edited by Straight Drive
6 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

It was joy to watch Hanif Mohd, Zaheer Abbas and Javed Miandad. All three very different styles of players. Yusuf was top class too. When i watch Babar Azam, there is lack of quality when compared to Hanif Mohd, Abbas and Miandad bat even Yusuf. Azam is nowhere in their pedigree. It will be a herculean task for him to be in their class as far as tests are concerned.

Which sort of quality do you feel he is missing compared to previous Pakistani greats?

56 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Which sort of quality do you feel he is missing compared to previous Pakistani greats?

I have watched Zaheer, Inzi, Yousuf and Miandad. He is head and shoulder better than those four. Time will tell how his career goes but he is immensely gifted and a prize wicket,

5 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

My post was in context of tests. Hunger for runs in test cricket. He does not has the concentration of Hanif M. Temperament wise he is not as good as Hanif as well as Zaheer Abbas in test cricket. He does not plays spin as good as Miandad used too. He needs to conert his starts and play big innings. This is test cricket. You don't gift wicket being satisifed of applause from crowd after getting test 100 and then throw wicket. Great players carry the innings further to play long innings. That is where higher levels of concentration, determination and astute shot selection comes into play.

Some of these Pakistan cricketers used to play county Championships. Whereas Azam plays T20 England domestic comps. That is another difference which he needs to balance so as to improve his test batting.

46 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

My post was in context of tests. Hunger for runs in test cricket. He does not has the concentration of Hanif M. Temperament wise he is not as good as Hanif as well as Zaheer Abbas in test cricket. He does not plays spin as good as Miandad used too. He needs to conert his starts and play big innings. This is test cricket. You don't gift wicket being satisifed of applause from crowd after getting test 100 and then throw wicket. Great players carry the innings further to play long innings. That is where higher levels of concentration, determination and astute shot selection comes into play.

Some of these Pakistan cricketers used to play county Championships. Whereas Azam plays T20 England domestic comps. That is another difference which he needs to balance so as to improve his test batting.

This is a good analogy of Babar’s batting. I agree he lacks that temperament that allows a batsmen to play bigger innings in Test cricket. Not sure if he will improve on this. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Shaz1 said:

This is a good analogy of Babar’s batting. I agree he lacks that temperament that allows a batsmen to play bigger innings in Test cricket. Not sure if he will improve on this. Only time will tell.

Those times have changed. Zaheer was a flop against pace bowling and would feast on spinners. And in those days when Zaheer was playing there was mostly one format and that was test. So the players in those era learned to graft.

Babar has to play fast paced game so 100 is a very good score.

Zaheer with his weight was a liability on the field.

Lowest SR in a T20I innings with 40+ balls for Pakistan:
(Since 2018)

91.1 - 41 (45) - Babar Azam vs Zimbabwe - Today
97.6 - 40 (41) - Babar Azam vs New Zealand - 2018
100 - 50 (50) - Babar Azam vs South Africa - 2021
100 - 41 (41) - Babar Azam vs New Zealand - 2018
102 - 45 (44) - Babar Azam vs Australia - 2018

19 hours ago, sage said:

(Since 2018)

That seems a very skewed stat. I can't imagine there are many other players who regularly play 40 balls in an innings.

On 4/20/2021 at 11:35 PM, Straight Drive said:

He has had a terrific couple of years in test cricket. It won't be long before he would be averaging 50+ in test cricket too. Just a matter of time

19 hours ago, sage said:

(Since 2018)

His T20 game needs improvement for sure