ICC U-19 World Cup 2020 Discussion Thread

nsareen

Batting unit is a bit feeble when compared to 2018 wc winning lots... Barring jaiswal, garg & dhruv jurel.. rest of the batsmen doesn't invoke much confidence either.. divyansh saxena hasn't proved much in the games preceding world cup... Tilak verma is an absolute eye sore.. when it comes to batting one down..  bats at ridiculously slow pace.. eats lots of dot balls.. doesn't hv ability to rotate strike....

Priyam garg is a classic modern day batsman.. but has been on & off.. recently...

Dhruv jurel the wicket keeper batsman is one to look out for future.. a solid middle order batsman.. with range of shots at his disposal.. he has been a consistent performer in u19 level..  he also helped india u19 beat sa u19 in quadrangular series final.. when India u19 were reeling at 17-3 to end up getting 265.. courtesy dhruv's century... 

I think team management needs to tinker with their batting nos.. garg & jurel needs to bat at 3 & 4 respectively.. these guys has the ability to rotate strike.. which is very imperative in odi cricket..

In u19 level u just need to score 250+ batting first.. no way opposition team can chase 250+ in u19 level... 

4 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

1) Yes. That's because  Padikkal  had some thing in him which he developed and today looks to have little streaks of Yuvi , Gail in his stroke play and has  even outclassed  KL in stroke making when they played .  Shows he has something that is above the ordinary . Hence i consider him exceptional . I did throw up a query to Expresse ji on this forum almost a year ago , what he thinks about him , since even at that time i saw something elegant about his batting.

If the 6 named by you are as good as Padikkal , they need to show ASAP  as the age difference between Padikkal and them hardly few months  in most cases . 

2)  I am  more interested about young talent and who are ready to jump to A  level straight away and be a potential contender for national call in a year or year & half .  Those are the guys am interested in . Does not matter if he played in 2016, or 18 or 20.  That is what i am looking for in this team , anyone of that caliber?   I consider only Gill , Shaw , Pant ,Padikkal as exceptional in the recent past and that why i took their name and asked are there any of that level ?

I may have formed an opinion , but  see that opinion is supported with other developments .

1) If they are exceptional they cannot miss IPL talent scouts -  Did any IPL team picked them , we may see their play ,may be few shots , balls etc. But these talent scouts would ask them go through practice sessions , look how plays spin , pace , short stuff, running , shots he has etc. before picking him

Not sure if  Jurel, Siddesh , Tilak , Rawat  got picked by any IPL Team , did they ?

That why i am betting only on Jaiswal , Garg.  Further needs to see them in WC.  last time Jaiswal  was bounced out by SA quick. Lets see in WC .

If they come up good , will be very happy . 

Anyway  will stick this up these names - " Jaiswal, Garg, Jurel, tilak, Rawat, Siddhesh "  and see the results 1 year from now , how many are potential contenders for national team .

Am sure some will accompany Lomror - The next big thing in Indian Cricket  .............

Think someone wrote this sentence  in this Forum !!!!  

Were Padikkal, pant, kishan, Shaw, Gill picked before u19 WC? IPL teams only pick known players. Neither I said all six are special. You don't 100% special batsmen in a batch. You get max 1-2 such players. Some take years to justify their takent like Aggarwal who is from 2010 u19 but he was touted as special player at that time.  It also doesn't matter whether they contenders for national team or not in one year.  There is huge competition for places. Likes Shaw and Gill can't make it.

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Were Padikkal, pant, kishan, Shaw, Gill picked before u19 WC? IPL teams only pick known players. Neither I said all six are special. You don't 100% special batsmen in a batch. You get max 1-2 such players. Some take years to justify their takent like Aggarwal who is from 2010 u19 but he was touted as special player at that time.  It also doesn't matter whether they contenders for national team or not in one year.  There is huge competition for places. Likes Shaw and Gill can't make it.

If auctions were to be held  before WC , who is to say they would not have . Scouts will keep an eye on exceptional talents . By July English tour , there a  real buzz about the quality of Gill , Shaw , Kamlesh etc. 

In any case these kids were picked before WC ended , they did not even won the cup by that time . 

You yourself admit a WC may give 1-2 exceptional players . from 2018 batch we have 2 who have donned india colours and 5 have played A level within less than 2 years . But for injuries 4 would have been in india colours by now .  That was the quality of that side and thats why i rate them much higher than this side . 

I would not not mind an emphatic "WRONG"  if you can  substantiate your opinion. 

Again asking "Are Garg, Jurel , Rawat, Tilak , Siddesh , Jaiswal "  better than Gill & Shaw ?   

Edited by prudent_kreeda
1 hour ago, First class said:

Japanese can use their baseball skill in cricket also, who knows cricket might become popular in this baseball crazy country. 

If they manage to put together a competitive associate team, it could grow very quickly.  I think the technical aspects of batting will be a very good fit culturally for the Japanese.  And they will embrace the game.  

11 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

If auctions were to be held  before WC , who is to say they would not have . Scouts will keep an eye on exceptional talents . By July English                     tour , there a  real buzz about the quality of Gill , Shaw , Kamlesh etc. 

In any case this kids were picked before WC ended , they did not even won the cup by that time . 

You yourself admit a WC may give 1-2 exceptional players . from 2018 batch we have we have 2 who have donned india colours and 5 have played A level within less than 2 years . But for injuroes 4 would have been in india colours by now .  That was the quality of that side and thats why i rate them much higher than this side . 

I would not not mind an emphatic "WRONG"  if you can  substantiate your opinion. 

Again asking "Are Garg, Jurel , Rawat, Tilak , Siddesh , Jaiswal "  better than Gill & Shaw ?   

Garg looks promising and a polished batsman, but doesn't have that 'it' factor that both Prithvi and Shubman did.  Jaiswal has numbers to back him up but I don't think he's that good either.  Tilak is quite raw and has a ways to go in learning how to build innings.  

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Garg looks promising and a polished batsman, but doesn't have that 'it' factor that both Prithvi and Shubman did.  Jaiswal has numbers to back him up but I don't think he's that good either.  Tilak is quite raw and has a ways to go in learning how to build innings.  

Na Sir !.  We will be called muppets  if we say so .. 

Even legends like Ganguly, Simon Doull , Ian Bishop are muppets .

current lot is the best ...     

Edited by prudent_kreeda

i feel can’t really compare 2018 players with this lot!! both teams have their unique style of play & strengths

current bowlers are taller might be not that pacy as Mavi / Nagarkoti, but current lot has 2 lefty bowlers as variety who would play, previously arshdeep dint get opportunities.

spinners are pretty much the same 2 left arm spinners who can bat & a leg spinner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i feel can’t really compare 2018 players with this lot!! both teams have their unique style of play & strengths

current bowlers are taller might be not that pacy as Mavi / Nagarkoti, but current lot has 2 lefty bowlers as variety who would play, previously arshdeep dint get opportunities.

spinners are pretty much the same 2 left arm spinners who can bat & a leg spinner

the other difference is that this time the batsmen can be part time spinners too, previously only riyan parag use to bowl regularly in matches.

Afghanistan's under 23, sorry under 19 team is generally a good one and the way India bulldozed them today shows current India under 19 team is not weaker but could be more balanced and stronger than the 2018 one. Its good you folks not hyping them unnecessarily , let them express themselves as they come. 

33 minutes ago, First class said:

Afghanistan's under 23, sorry under 19 team is generally a good one and the way India bulldozed them today shows current India under 19 team is not weaker but could be more balanced and stronger than the 2018 one. Its good you folks not hyping them unnecessarily , let them express themselves as they come. 

No they are not as strong as the 2018 batch,its quite evident 

2018 batch was exceptional ,this batch is quite good too but not at the level of that rare breed

14 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

If auctions were to be held  before WC , who is to say they would not have . Scouts will keep an eye on exceptional talents . By July English tour , there a  real buzz about the quality of Gill , Shaw , Kamlesh etc. 

In any case these kids were picked before WC ended , they did not even won the cup by that time . 

You yourself admit a WC may give 1-2 exceptional players . from 2018 batch we have 2 who have donned india colours and 5 have played A level within less than 2 years . But for injuries 4 would have been in india colours by now .  That was the quality of that side and thats why i rate them much higher than this side . 

Did I say current lot is better. I just said it is not as inferior as people are talking about.

14 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Likes of Kartik, priyam, jaiswal, Akash have already been picked for IPL. I am sure if people knew about Jurel he would have been picked as well.

Garg has already played 12 FC matches.  That's decent experience for an u19.  If i jog my memory, even though both Shaw and Gill had played some FC before the u19 WC, but don't think even Shaw had played 12 FC going into the last u19.  Definitely Gill hadn't played that many. 

Another thing people need to note is that these u19 kids are works in progress and not finished products.  Some may shine brighter than others at this stage but it's how they mature,evolve and improve both technically and mentally after this tournament that will determine their success in the future Indian teams or not.