'Australia, England scared of India's rise'--Gavaskar

Laaloo

Please keep being so naive and such an ardent admirer of cheaters (although Lee is the best among the worst in that regard I suppose). And please stick to your explanation of Sunny's encouragement about getting more 100s, it is indeed very selfish minded and there can absolutely be no other possible motive or point since you think so.

Sriram' date=' being the resident contrarian, is making me laugh. Justifying the veto powers England and Australia held and supporting a bowler who has repeatedly bowled beamers when under the hammer!!:hysterical:[/quote'] Shwetabh, Please feel free to point out one, yes ONE line from my VERY long post where I have a) Justified the veto powers England and Australia held b) Supported Brett Lee's beamer. To elaborate a little more, with regards to a) All I have said was, " We should not a be a bully and loud-mouth just because we are crickets' superpower". I have not a even fleeting reference to role or the position of influence held by the Aus-Eng in the past. b) I have also not made a single comment either condemning or supporting Lee. All I have said was " From the video, it was quite obvious even Sachin thought it was an accident, yet Gavaskar framed Lee". Please take time to read my posts a little more carefully before you comment on 'em.
Sriram' date=' being the resident contrarian, is making me laugh. Justifying the veto powers England and Australia held and supporting a bowler who has repeatedly bowled beamers when under the hammer!!:hysterical:[/quote'] He's a contrarian when it comes to OZs mostly or political correctness. I'm just curious, how come worse bowlers don't bowl so many beamers, they are supposed to be having less control, and should be more sweaty getting hit more. Or may be I missed the whole art of bowling beamers which the best bowler seems to have mastered already.
Its one thing to say Lee regularly bowled beamers, but an entirely different meaning to say "I dont think it can slip at this level". I think you are intelligent enough to know the difference. Yeah right... its a big final, the youngster gets out 30 runs away from victory and you tell him " Next time, you have to get your 100".... Now, that is what I call a perfect team-man like advice.
I am not going to comment on the Brett Lee beamer because Lee apologized and there's no need to dig in deeper to the action but to admire both Sachin and Lee for their gentlemanly behavior on the field. I will comment, however, on Gavaskar's reactions to the beamers. Gavaskar has played some of the best fast bowlers ever to have played cricket in his prime, so I believe him when he says that Lee did not intend to bowl a head high beamer but rather a knee or waist high full toss to induce an error or to prevent runs being made. And his comment about not 'accidentally' slipping at this level is not unwarranted either, I feel. Because Ian Chappell, an Australian himself, quoted that Lee has had problems with beamers, and its not only the problems but the fact that he tends to repeatedly "lose" the balls. He bowled, I think 2 or 3 beamers at Brendon McCullum in a very short span of time, and though he apologized, it shows that he does have some control over the delivery. At Lee's pace a beamer can be very threatening to the batsman, which is why Gavaskar did not downplay the incident. Perhaps, we have different views on this subject. But for the next comment, did you happen to catch what he said after Rohit was sent away? He said "its a fact of life that hundreds get you recognition and make you a "great" player rather than a "good" or a "very good" player." because he knows how important numbers are to the Indian fans. Lets not forget that, yeah, we blame Sachin sometimes for his selfishness to make a hundred, but it does invariably help the team depending on how the hundred was made. Furthermore, he acknowledges that a 100 was not possible for Rohit in this game, but he wanted to see him unbeaten at the end of the game. Sunny knows the value of being unbeaten at the end of the game, as he has carried his bat through several test innings. It also shows the temperament of the player and his sustaining concentration levels. I do not find anything wrong in trying to inspire a youngster. And regarding your earlier post, I am not quite sure of what you mean when you say he "flames" the Brown vs. White argument. Because I believed that what Sunny wrote in that article that liberally uses these words was maybe not diplomatically correct but definitely true. There was nothing else that could explain Mike Procter's decision and his further claim that he's from SA and he knows what "racism" is all about. I definitely agree that it was wrong of him to write that article because he's on the ICC Committee but I did not see any flaming of the racist argument. Again, I could be completely misinterpreting what you meant.
He's a contrarian when it comes to OZs mostly or political correctness. I'm just curious' date=' how come worse bowlers don't bowl so many beamers, they are supposed to be having less control, and should be more sweaty getting hit more. Or may be I missed the whole art of bowling beamers which the best bowler seems to have mastered already.[/quote'] Every time you say I am being PC, I can only laugh to my heart's content. If according to you, being fair, open-minded and not stereo-typing an entire nation with terms like cheats and few more not-so-charitable ones, then I proudly say " Yes, I am PC !" :haha: Obviously, those are qualities you cant lay claims on, I might add.
Every time you say I am being PC' date=' I can only laugh to my heart's content. If according to you, being fair, open-minded and not stereo-typing an entire nation with terms like cheats and few more not-so-charitable ones, then I proudly say [b']" Yes, I am PC !" :haha: Obviously, those are qualities you cant lay claims on, I might add.
Actually it's not the entire nation, it's that team that I call cheat, and guess what, even some OZ journalist and people think so too :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

But surely I will never have such qualities as bashing one of the greatest batsmen ever, calling him stupid, selfish, racist and what not, and then defending the art of bowling beamers and his gang of cheaters. You're just too intelligent.

I am not going to comment on the Brett Lee beamer because Lee apologized and there's no need to dig in deeper to the action but to admire both Sachin and Lee for their gentlemanly behavior on the field. I will comment' date=' however, on Gavaskar's reactions to the beamers. Gavaskar has played some of the best fast bowlers ever to have played cricket in his prime, so I believe him when he says that Lee did not intend to bowl a head high beamer but rather a knee or waist high full toss to induce an error or to prevent runs being made. [/quote'] No way, If you ever played some amount of hard-ball competitive cricket and also, watched a few international matches, you will know that bowlers NEVER intend to bowl knee-high full-tosses. Firstly because a) Its an almost impossibl ball to bowl correctly and its almost guaranteed that its gonna be sprayed somewhere else. b) When you are trying to stop runs, you NEVER bowl knee-high full tosses coz using that option almost rules out the wicket taking result from that delivery. If I was a bowler trying to bowl to a batsman who is looking to score runs, a knee-high full toss will be my LAST option. And Besides, you must have heard tons and tons cricket commentary. Have you ever heard even one, yes just ONE former fast-bowler say on commentary that the "bowler should have bowled a knee-high full toss to curtail the flow of runs" ? And this obviously indicates to just one thing - Knee high full tosses are never an option by bowlers.
And his comment about not 'accidentally' slipping at this level is not unwarranted either' date=' I feel. Because Ian Chappell, an Australian himself, quoted that Lee has had problems with beamers, and its not only the problems but the fact that he tends to repeatedly "lose" the balls. He bowled, I think 2 or 3 beamers at Brendon McCullum in a very short span of time, and though he apologized, it shows that he does have some control over the delivery. At Lee's pace a beamer can be very threatening to the batsman, which is why Gavaskar did not downplay the incident. Perhaps, we have different views on this subject. [/quote'] As I have mentioned before in this thread, I will READILY take Sachin's view over any other person's view in this planet, on this subject. Sachin obviously thinks it wasnt deliberate. Enough said.
But for the next comment' date=' did you happen to catch what he said after Rohit was sent away? He said "its a fact of life that hundreds get you recognition and make you a "great" player rather than a "good" or a "very good" player." because he knows how important numbers are to the Indian fans. Lets not forget that, yeah, we blame Sachin sometimes for his selfishness to make a hundred, but it does invariably help the team depending on how the hundred was made.[/quote'] Nonsense. If I were a former "great" of this game, a legend as regarded by many in this country, the first and the ONLY thing I would said to a youngster who got out just before victory would have been " You should have stayed there till the end". This obsession with personal numbers is the biggest bane affecting Indian cricket.
Furthermore' date=' he acknowledges that a 100 was not possible for Rohit in this game, but he wanted to see him unbeaten at the end of the game. Sunny knows the value of being unbeaten at the end of the game, as he has carried his bat through several test innings. It also shows the temperament of the player and his sustaining concentration levels. I do not find anything wrong in trying to inspire a youngster. [/quote'] Gavaskar first inadvertently mentions he would have liked Sharma to get a 100 and then very quickly realizes that there wasnt actually enough runs left for him to get to 3 figures. And I dont care how many times Gavaskar has been unbeaten. Fact of the matter is, the same time he kept plundering his 10s of 1000s of runs, we hardly won a match. All those records are meaningless to me. And yea, you dont have to take my word on Gavaskar's selfless attitude. Kapil Dev, in his first autobiography ' By the God's Decree' has an entire chapter dedicated to his relationship with Gavaskar and he himself goes to suggest how there was frictions between the two coz Kapil perceived that Gavaskar played selfishly. Now, whether we all should actually give ANY credence to Kapil's opinion or not, is an entirely different debate in itself.
And regarding your earlier post' date=' I am not quite sure of what you mean when you say he "flames" the Brown vs. White argument. Because I believed that what Sunny wrote in that article that liberally uses these words was maybe not diplomatically correct but definitely true. There was nothing else that could explain Mike Procter's decision and his further claim that he's from SA and he knows what "racism" is all about. I definitely agree that it was wrong of him to write that article because he's on the ICC Committee but I did not see any flaming of the racist argument. Again, I could be completely misinterpreting what you meant.[/quote'] Thats the thing you see, Did I actually ever say everything was fair in the past ? Did I ever say " Oh all this talk of white domination is BS" Of course not. All I am saying is " Gavaskar's rhetorical tone isnt helping matters one bit and he, all of a sudden seems to have found the strength to voice his opinions. Where was his so-called-convictions all this while ?"
No way, If you ever played some amount of hard-ball competitive cricket and also, watched a few international matches, you will know that bowlers NEVER intend to bowl knee-high full-tosses. Firstly because a) Its an almost impossibl ball to bowl correctly and its almost guaranteed that its gonna be sprayed somewhere else. b) When you are trying to stop runs, you NEVER bowl knee-high full tosses coz using that option almost rules out the wicket taking result from that delivery. If I was a bowler trying to bowl to a batsman who is looking to score runs, a knee-high full toss will be my LAST option. And Besides, you must have heard tons and tons cricket commentary. Have you ever heard even one, yes just ONE former fast-bowler say on commentary that the "bowler should have bowled a knee-high full toss to curtail the flow of runs" ? And this obviously indicates to just one thing - Knee high full tosses are never an option by bowlers. As I have mentioned before in this thread, I will READILY take Sachin's view over any other person's view in this planet, on this subject. Sachin obviously thinks it wasnt deliberate. Enough said. Nonsense. If I were a former "great" of this game, a legend as regarded by many in this country, the first and the ONLY thing I would said to a youngster who got out just before victory would have been " You should have stayed there till the end". This obsession with personal numbers is the biggest bane affecting Indian cricket. Gavaskar first inadvertently mentions he would have liked Sharma to get a 100 and then very quickly realizes that there wasnt actually enough runs left for him to get to 3 figures. And I dont care how many times Gavaskar has been unbeaten. Fact of the matter is, the same time he kept plundering his 10s of 1000s of runs, we hardly won a match. All those records are meaningless to me. And yea, you dont have to take my word on Gavaskar's selfless attitude. Kapil Dev, in his first autobiography ' By the God's Decree' has an entire chapter dedicated to his relationship with Gavaskar and he himself goes to suggest how there was frictions between the two coz Kapil perceived that Gavaskar played selfishly. Now, whether we all should actually give ANY credence to Kapil's opinion or not, is an entirely different debate in itself. Thats the thing you see, Did I actually ever say everything was fair in the past ? Did I ever say " Oh all this talk of white domination is BS" Of course not. All I am saying is " Gavaskar's rhetorical tone isnt helping matters one bit and he, all of a sudden seems to have found the strength to voice his opinions. Where was his so-called-convictions all this while ?"
I will take your word for your comments on the knee-high full tosses as I am not knowledgeable about it. The rest of your comments are also hard to respond because I have very similar views on the topics. However, regarding your comment on Sunny opening up only recently, I do think that it has to do with India gaining the financial upperhand in recent years, and I have no problem with that. Because I think if he opened his mouth prior to that, he would've been asked to shut up as the country he represents does not contribute enough to ICC financially. Now, however, our team is better, and we are the financial base for nearly 70% of the ICC. I think he might have his reasons for opening his mouth now.
Actually it's not the entire nation' date=' it's that team that I call cheat, and guess what, even some OZ journalist and people think so too :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] You know what dude, you really do have the cheek to pretend innocence. After making comment and after comment denigrating Aussies, its almost unbelievable to think you now say "Its only the team I called the cheat". How bout this for a sample ?
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I'm sorry and decades of genocide is wiped off the history while worse racism than dissing a player is part of everyday life. You're complaining about again isolated incidents in indian stadium while completely forgetting about similar and worse incidents which are part of every damn tour by every damn country in Australia. You guys will make a nice research topic for genetic degradation.
This is you, making a comment at 16str8, who is evidently not a team member of Australan cricket team
Thanks' date=' much better than being convicts :haha::haha:[/quote'] And how bout this ?
See I have a serious problem using words like dog or money to describe these convicts. It's insulting to both these amazing creatures and nature.
And this
Actually what part of just a jab you don't get? But they did send convicts there :hysterical::hysterical:
And you know what, All I had to do was type in your name and the search-term "Convict". There are dozens of search results for that term alone. And I have not even gone to your other references of Australians and "Convict" is the most charitable amongst them. :haha: Now, what are you going to do now ? Run and edit all those posts of yours ? Dont bother, it will take a full weekend for you to do that :haha:
But surely I will never have such qualities as bashing one of the greatest batsmen ever' date=' calling him stupid, selfish, racist and what not, and then defending the art of bowling beamers and his gang of cheaters. You're just too intelligent.[/quote'] Well, its atleast a bit better than calling an entire nation of 20 million all sorts of names ! :haha:
I am so glad guys like Gavaskar is not in a policy making position. He's been flaming this ' Brown Vs White' war for sometime now and it aint helping matters one bit. He is actually making the atmosphere of interaction only MORE vitriolic. Its pretty obvious, Gavaskar has a long-held animsity towards the "White" cricket playing nations and because Ind didnt have this much control over the game in the past, he couldnt voice his opinion with force. Now that we are in a force of domination, he has all of a sudden, found the conviction to go against 'em. Where was all his Anglo-American diatribe, in his playing years, or for that matter in the mid-90s or the early 2000s ? Of course, then, he was at his diplomatic best and courteous. I have made no bones about the fact that I hold very LITTLE regard and respect for Gavaskar. I have always maintained he is a self-centered cricketer who played only for personal record, glory and statistics. A snapshot of his mentality can be gleaned from the following two videos. cvIY29QeTsU NjoKXoW7mgk In his parting advice to Rohit Sharma ( who incidentally, got out for a near-70 in the first final of the CB series), you would have expected Gavaskar to say something along the lines of " You should'nt have gotten out when the team is still 30 runs from victory" but he so characteristically, goes on to say " You have to go on from your 60s and 70s and get to a 100". Such is his obsession with numbers and stats. And his inherent hatred and suspicion for the Aussies can be clearly seen from the second video. After showing the replay of the beamer from Lee to Sachin, Harsha goes on to say something along the lines of how, normally, after a beamer is bowled to a batsman, the batsman and bowler exchange glares angry words and stares and how this time, there was a friendly hand-shake between Lee and Sachin. Gavaskar, instead of applauding the sportsmanlike behavior of the two players, abruptly changes the topic and says how he thinks the beamer by Lee was deliberate. Now, the first person to have taken offense to that ball should have been Sachin and even he, smiled and shook hands with Lee. Thats coz he knows Lee well and understands the he will never deliberately bowl a beamer to him. Gavaskar, despite knowing all this, is intent on framing Lee. And fittingly ( and I know he made this comment tongue-in-cheek), he goes on to add how, if a bowler had bowled a beamer to him 98, he would have asked him to bowl a half-volley to him so that he can get to his hundred, giving another hint of his almost mad-like obsession with 100s. Knowing Gavaskar to be the man he is, one who has got a inborn prejudice against White nations and is shamelessly selfish, we would do well to totally ignore all his remarks. Besides, you couldnt possibly expect Gavaskar to be intelligent enough to know that if you are the super-power, which is what India is in the world of cricket now, it doesnt give you the license to a loud-mouth and bully others. He doesnt obviously know that the way India treats other cricket nations and boards today, the same treatment will be meted to us tomorrow. Everything in this world is a cycle, there is no permanent super-power status. Yesterday, it was Eng-Aus, today its us and tomorrow, it will be someone else.
I hope one day we sit together and have a few beers- you will never understand but I will sure like to talk to you about the genius of Gavaskar; a man who single handedly has done absurd things for uplifting Indian cricket There have been some better cricket players than him in India but none has adopted the "let me be the fool for the greatest" like Sunny :hatsoff: to him
I will take your word for your comments on the knee-high full tosses as I am not knowledgeable about it. The rest of your comments are also hard to respond because I have very similar views on the topics.
You dont have to take my word on it. Just think about it and tell me if what I said makes logical and common sense or not. If you find any anamoly, feel free to point it out and I shall give you my response. And dont forget, If I think you are right, I will readily accept I have been wrong.
However' date=' regarding your comment on Sunny opening up only recently, I do think that it has to do with India gaining the financial upperhand in recent years, and I have no problem with that. Because I think if he opened his mouth prior to that, he would've been asked to shut up as the country he represents does not contribute enough to ICC financially. Now, however, our team is better, and we are the financial base for nearly 70% of the ICC. I think he might have his reasons for opening his mouth now.[/quote'] Hehe, thats exactly what belies Gavaskar's true character. If he was *really* concerned about tacking white domination, he must have done that all through his career, or for that matter, in the 90s and early 2000s. He didnt. Now that we have started dominating world cricket, his opinions have gained in strength and frequency. This is exactly the kind of "super-power mentality" that I DONT want India to exhibit.

If the Mods feel this thread has been hijacked into a "Gavaskar" thread, please feel free to edit out all those posts and form a separate thread on his name. I certainly dont want to this thread to be entirely on those lines.There are lots of other things to discuss.

You dont have to take my word on it. Just think about it and tell me if what I said makes logical and common sense or not. If you find any anamoly, feel free to point it out and I shall give you my response. And dont forget, If I think you are right, I will readily accept I have been wrong. Hehe, thats exactly what belies Gavaskar's true character. If he was *really* concerned about tacking white domination, he must have done that all through his career, or for that matter, in the 90s and early 2000s. He didnt. Now that we have started dominating world cricket, his opinions have gained in strength and frequency. This is exactly the kind of "super-power mentality" that I DONT want India to exhibit.
You are so full of crap- this guy was not only defying these teams with his bat but also their media and arrogant administrators with his words and guile even at that time just because there was no internet or a new news/minute in his day and age does not mean he was a coward then and an opportunistic now don't contradict the majority for the heck of it- atleast know your history before you do it
If the Mods feel this thread has been hijacked into a "Gavaskar" thread' date=' please feel free to edit out all those posts and form a separate thread on his name. I certainly dont want to this thread to be entirely on those lines.There are lots of other things to discuss.[/quote'] and of course you wil love it because it will give more attention to you
You are so full of crap- this guy was not only defying these teams with his bat but also their media and arrogant administrators with his words and guile even at that time just because there was no internet or a new news/minute in his day and age does not mean he was a coward then and an opportunistic now don't contradict the majority for the heck of it- atleast know your history before you do it
Oh yea.. We all lived in caves in 1995-2005 right ! :haha: