Iyer is what people think Pant is

lamellavig

Pant is better but Iyer is pretty good too. The Rishabh Pant version of 2019-20 was having a lot of mental issues but I feel it's sorted now. 

Iyer's tough phase has also started but he will be back to his best soon as well. The competition is high though. 

All said and done, Pant has played two seasons of IPL under Iyer's captaincy and will continue to do so :phehe:

The top 3 eat so many overs whether batting first or second that these poor  MO chaps have to come & hit  with high risk in whatever 10-20 balls they get and then they will be judged ....   5 matches    total of 75 runs Av. 15 !!. 

That the issue .

Let the TM experiment wherever possible . Drop 2 out current top 3 bats for bilaterals and play players like Pant , KL , Gill , Hardik anywhere between 3 to 5 and then judge their capability.

In T20s, I will pick Pant, SKY and Kishan all three ahead of Shreyas.

In ODIs, I will pick only Pant ahead of him. SKY and Kishan are not as good as Shreyas in ODIs. Latter is more consistent and safer bet than Kishan and is a better long term bet compared to SKY.

As for Indian team, I think they will give a couple of T20s to Iyer and Pant and then a couple to SKY and Kishan and then decide.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Then bump the thread when he proves himself in LOIs. His performance in Tests doesn't vindicate his mediocre returns in LOIs. 

Meh if we judged youngsters only by actual performances, we just need to run a statsguru page. The whole fun with youngsters is identifying potential and making predictions

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

In T20s, I will pick Pant, SKY and Kishan all three ahead of Shreyas.

In ODIs, I will pick only Pant ahead of him. SKY and Kishan are not as good as Shreyas in ODIs. Latter is more consistent and safer bet than Kishan and is a better long term bet compared to SKY.

As for Indian team, I think they will give a couple of T20s to Iyer and Pant and then a couple to SKY and Kishan and then decide.

Sky is far better in odi. He has all the shots. 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sky is far better in odi. He has all the shots. 

Look at their List A record. You are concluding your opinion because SKY is still to debut in ODIs so he hasn't faced any major challenge yet while Shreyas has been around in ODIs from last two years and latter is also 6-7 years younger.

One simply doesn't have to look beyond VH trophy which happened recently. Shreyas scored two hundreds while SKY was relatively inconsistent.

Consistency and temperament matters more in ODIs while range of shots matters more in T20s. SKY is better in T20s.

31 minutes ago, New guy said:

Meh if we judged youngsters only by actual performances, we just need to run a statsguru page. The whole fun with youngsters is identifying potential and making predictions

You can judge by performances and numbers or you can judge by how he actually plays out in the middle in crunch situations in ODIs. Pant has shat himself many times in ODIs (and even T20Is) and if you have a short-term memory, go find old threads and how people even in ICF were banging their heads against the wall when he holed out and agreed that he needs to be dropped.

Tests and ODIs are different formats. They need to be played differently. Pant hasn't even proven himself in T20Is so there's no question of dropping someone who's doing fine in ODIs for him.

50 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

You can judge by performances and numbers or you can judge by how he actually plays out in the middle in crunch situations in ODIs. Pant has shat himself many times in ODIs (and even T20Is) and if you have a short-term memory, go find old threads and how people even in ICF were banging their heads against the wall when he holed out and agreed that he needs to be dropped.

when ts and ODIs are different formats. They need to be played differently. Pant hasn't even proven himself in T20Is so there's no question of dropping someone who's doing fine in ODIs for him.

Shat himself? He was playing responsibily many times when others were collapsing. And once again, we can see potential of a 23 year old from many ipl innings etc he has played. Any person with 2 brain cells knows he has immense LOI potential 

Iyer could have been so good..  He has a calm head & can play crunch knocks in ODIs..  But he looks worse than Raina in terms of playing short ball.  Raina had an advantage of being a left hander & batting lower down the order but Iyer at 4 will face a lot of short stuff in ODIs.  I'll back him for now..  As ODI seems to be his best format.  A strict no no for T20s

I had such hopes from Iyer in ODI's seeing as he was a high SR player(in ODI's) even in domestic cricket, sadly he seems to be out of his depth against quality fast bowling ,but his hitting against spin is top notch, possibly the best hitter against spin after Yusuf Pathan.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Look at their List A record. You are concluding your opinion because SKY is still to debut in ODIs so he hasn't faced any major challenge yet while Shreyas has been around in ODIs from last two years and latter is also 6-7 years younger.

One simply doesn't have to look beyond VH trophy which happened recently. Shreyas scored two hundreds while SKY was relatively inconsistent.

Consistency and temperament matters more in ODIs while range of shots matters more in T20s. SKY is better in T20s.

Sky is also a better test player. Judging purely based on stats is asinine. 

Judge based on skills, temperament, ability and stroke play. 

Sky is better in all aspects compared to Iyer in tests and T20. Not sure about odi but I would pick sky over him anyway. 

Iyer has serious issues vs bouncers and pace. Sky has no such wekaness.