What's not very traditional about you?

Stradlater

7 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

honestly I have never tried any of these lol. why do you think they are overrated?

The litti is hard ball of flour stuffed with stuff and has to be eaten with lot of ghee and chaukha which is roasted brinjal mash .

I personally would prefer to eat the brinjal mash with parantha rather than that hard ball of dough.

Litti chaukha is a bihari speciality and people who like it swear by it.

As for makki ki roti...again too dry without ghee and I feel if you have to eat something with lots of ghee to make it edible,then it is not worth it.I would rather eat popcorn than makki ki roti .:p:

I would rather eat the saag with rice or normal parantha.

I don't mind the sarson ka saag...although I find it rather bland. We eat Rai ka saag version which is far more pungent ...so find the saag a bit bland.

Edited by beetle

25 minutes ago, beetle said:

As for makki ki roti...again too dry without ghee and I feel if you have to eat something with lots of ghee to make it edible,then it is not worth it.I would rather eat popcorn than makki ki roti .:p:

I don't mind the sarson ka saag...although I find it rather bland. We eat Rai ka saag version which is far more pungent ...so find the saag a bit bland.

We always mix saro (sarson),palak, and even add bathu/brocolli to the saag. Also add aalan (makki atta) to the saag in the preparation towards the end while it is being cooked before mixing the tadka. If you find it bland, then your tadka isn't strong enough? 

Also makki roti, it is best to eat if fresh.  Personally, I like mine extra crispy and crunchy. You also have salad mix (Murli/onions) on the side.  I prefer extra butter on the side, not on the rotis. 

Edited by vice

My motto:

Image result for tradition is peer pressure from dead people

(1) I am an atheist.

(2) I strongly believe that rituals were created for one purpose - to empower the priest class.

(3) I preach things like "Natural does not mean safe," "Dose makes the poison," "Plants feel pain," "Synthetic pesticides are no more dangerous or no more safe than natural pesticides,"  "Organic agriculture is a luxury for rich people made possible by increased labor of the poor," "Cows are no more sacred than goats or pigs. ..." etc.   

(4) I tell my kids - when you grow up and want to cook something, don't be tied to the "family" recipe.  Do things your way.    

3 hours ago, beetle said:

The jagraatas of bhajans to the tune of bollywood songs.:facepalm:

And the namaz on public spaces .I have heard of people doing it on airplane aisles on flights to middle east and no one dare stop it for fear of offending the holy ones who have no problem inconveniencing the others.

Also the bhandaaras on road sides that  cause traffic problems and result in people littering the road with disposable plates and glasses.

in south you will see some random Pillaiyar or Ganesha or mariamma temple , first it will start as a stone beneath a pipal tree and then the fence around the tree will get painted red and white,  then a nandhi or spade in front with kumkum, then a small temple around it - in time half the freaking road will be blocked and there will be habitual traffic issues in the stretch. 

32 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

My motto:

(1) I am an atheist.

(2) I strongly believe that rituals were created for one purpose - to empower the priest class.

(3) I preach things like "Natural does not mean safe," "Dose makes the poison," "Plants feel pain," "Synthetic pesticides are no more dangerous or no more safe than natural pesticides,"  "Organic agriculture is a luxury for rich people made possible by increased labor of the poor," "Cows are no more sacred than goats or pigs. ..." etc.   

(4) I tell my kids - when you grow up and want to cook something, don't be tied to the "family" recipe.  Do things your way.    

You mean just like how the head coach position in Indian team Was created  despite having a batting,bowling,fielding coach and a team manager for Shastriji

Wow Bhramins still getting positions created  for them even for the steak eating alcohol guzzling types :fear1:

36 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

My motto:

(1) I am an atheist.

Well, goody for you. I tell my kids to not do something because others say it is cool. Never be ashamed of your identity, stand your ground! Our generation let their civilization down more than any invader.

24 minutes ago, Vilander said:

name some south indian food that you dont like and where you ate them.

idli and upma I don't like the most. I've eaten it mostly in the states or guj.

Edit: also I tried medu vada once, didn't like it that much. im a big fan of coconut chutney though. I eat it with other things.

Edited by FischerTal

2 hours ago, beetle said:

The litti is hard ball of flour stuffed with stuff and has to be eaten with lot of ghee and chaukha which is roasted brinjal mash .

I personally would prefer to eat the brinjal mash with parantha rather than that hard ball of dough.

Litti chaukha is a bihari speciality and people who like it swear by it.

is the taste similar to saag paneer as far as the curry goes?

8 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

idli and upma I don't like the most. I've eaten it mostly in the states or guj.

Edit: also I tried medu vada once, didn't like it that much. im a big fan of coconut chutney though. I eat it with other things.

in US you do have this restaurant called Saravana bhavan  try that for Dosai or try mixed veg parotta (we call it kothu parotta) those are good.

Idli is just rice dough , its just the sambhar and coconut chutny that makes it good or bad. 

The only upma that is tolerable is averakkai upma  ( that you wont get any where goota get is done by some Kannadiga friend if you have one)

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

The only upma that is tolerable is averakkai upma  ( that you wont get any where goota get is done by some Kannadiga friend if you have one)

I make masal upma with all sorts of garam masala, spices, we called it kharabhaath. Add kesaribaarh (rava halwa for north indians) and the combo is called chow-chow baath. Gujarat is the last place you should try south Indian food. Mumabi is ok if you go to some Udipi restaurant. US has many Dosa Express, Saravana Bhavan , Andhra restaurants that are nearly authentic as the ones in India.

45 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Well, goody for you. I tell my kids to not do something because others say it is cool. Never be ashamed of your identity, stand your ground! Our generation let their civilization down more than any invader.

I agree with this.  Don't change things because someone says it is cool.  And don't do things just like your family did it because they said "this is the way *we* do it in *our house.*"   Un vazhi thanee vazhi.

1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

You mean just like how the head coach position in Indian team Was created  despite having a batting,bowling,fielding coach and a team manager for Shastriji

Wow Bhramins still getting positions created  for them even for the steak eating alcohol guzzling types :fear1:

It's not about Hinduism/Brahmins.  This phenomenon characterizes every religion.  

4 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

It's not about Hinduism/Brahmins.  This phenomenon characterizes every religion.  

Rituals are not wrong totally. There needs to be an order in our lives. Not everyone is capable of being self-disciplined and have a conscious world view of a “liberal” “all knowing” atheist.

If a guy feels a few minutes of mental peace listening to a Pravachan of a spiritual guru Or break coconuts in a temple then good for him. Obviously if he is being made to become a menace to the society due to the teachings it is a problem, otherwise don’t see anything wrong with it.  

54 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I make masal upma with all sorts of garam masala, spices, we called it kharabhaath. Add kesaribaarh (rava halwa for north indians) and the combo is called chow-chow baath. Gujarat is the last place you should try south Indian food. Mumabi is ok if you go to some Udipi restaurant. US has many Dosa Express, Saravana Bhavan , Andhra restaurants that are nearly authentic as the ones in India.

kesari is pretty prevalent and tastes great, karabaath i personally dont like much.  I never heard of dosa express --> once someone calls its 'Dosa' and saambur  i feel is amateur hour :phehe: a proper man knows its called Dosai and kaapi and saambhar