Will Ind make it to the WTC Final?

zen

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Man how the fukk did we lose that second Test in New Zealand after taking the fist innings lead ? :wall:

Those 60 points (for us and minus 60 for NZ) would have sealed our place a long back. Fekking chokers. 

Even 2 draws would have given us 40 points there. Losing all 120 in one series is a facckkin beettch.

20 minutes ago, javier26 said:

Is it safe to assume now  that Australia are the confirmed finalists while the other spot is up for grabs ?

Australia have a series at home against India and away series against Bangladesh and SA. I think they are in. 

Australia are playing India at home and SA away. They have to play one more series and I don't know who the 3rd team is. I guess they could lose atleast 1-2 test matches on this.

5 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Australia are playing India at home and SA away. They have to play one more series and I don't know who the 3rd team is. I guess they could lose atleast 1-2 test matches on this.

Third team that Aussies play is Bangaldesh in Bangaldesh. 

Hence I would say Australia is in.

However, have to give it to ICC. They certainly made test matches interesting with this points system. Now, Teams have to win every test match to get points so that they can make it to the finals. I'd have loved to see away wins getting more points than home wins but that could be made as improvements in the coming up editions.

The only drawback is the heavily one sided games like we are seeing england vs pakistan. But i guess those were always there and we have to work around it.

There's a 4 way fight as of now and I'd love to see smaller teams throw a wrench in the plans of these top ranked teams.

1 minute ago, javier26 said:

Australia always did well in SA even when SA were a stronger side. And now that SA team is at it's weakest, Australia surely can't lose to them ..

Even if they win a test in SA, Aus should be as long as they beat others 

From OP:

Kangaroos (Aus) are the hot favorite to book a spot. 

• Current points: 296
  • Home series vs Ind (4)
  • Away series vs. BD (2) and SA (3)  

If we estimate that Aus will win at least 6 tests from the 9 that it is scheduled to play, below is how its points could be (not accounting for draws):

• 2 tests wins vs. Ind = 60 points 
  • 2 tests wins vs. BD = 120 points
  • 2 tests wins vs. SA = 80 points
  • Estimated total: 260 

Current points + Estimate = 296 + 260 = 556 points (unless its wheels fall off) .... Aus could even get over 600 points.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

If we lose to Aus, no way we deserve to play the WTC final even by fluke. This cycle had 2 major challenges, already failed in one. NZ did better in their away matches. 

Man,every ICC event NZ somehow manages to sneak through to the knockout stages. They're in an absolute delicious position. Unless weather plays spoilsport they are in a position to gobble up all 360 points by just playing only 7 test matches whereas we have to play 9 for 240.

6 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Didn't BD draw the last series 1-1???

Yeah but That was in 2017 .

The Australia Bangaldesh series was to be held in June 2020 but it has been postponed due to pandemic. 

Bangaldesh team was in some good form at home during 2016-2017 period but now a days they even lose to Afghanistan at home. 

Since Aus is currently the favorite to make it to the final (unless its wheels fall off), apart from the home team - Eng, NZ can potentially challenge it in right conditions with the bowling attack of Boult, Southee, Wagner and Jamieson. NZ batting can be a concern though but it bats deep. 

Edited by zen

Aussies are sure shot finalists.  They'll give phainta to SAF this time away.  It'll be a bloodbath.

NZ is second favourite as of now.  They got a easy draw.  Instead of BD,  I wish they were playing WI away.  

India thanks to lolli & Shastri in this position.  Giving full 120 points to NZ was unacceptable.  Now Aussie tour looms.  Test defeat at opener in GABBA is certified then comes D/N test.  So atm we are 2-0 down without even playing. 

I think if we manage to reach finals we have a shot at beating Aussies in lords.  Aussies too have hit the deck bowlers like us unlike Jimmy Broad Curran Boult..  These kind of Bowlers always trouble us. 

6 minutes ago, zen said:

Since Aus is currently the favorite to make it to the final (unless its wheels fall off), apart from the home team - Eng, NZ can potentially challenge it in right conditions with the bowling attack of Boult, Southee, Wagner and Jamieson. NZ batting can be a concern though but it bats deep. 

Kiwis lose the battle against Aus before toss, lots of mental scars. I guess the record post 2000 is 1-19 or something like that. 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kiwis lose the battle against Aus before toss, lots of mental scars. I guess the record post 2000 is 1-19 or something like that. 

This would be a neutral venue though ... And Kiwis can take inspiration from their fighting performance in the WC19

41 minutes ago, Norman said:

It's an overkill to be honest. Ashes should be the only one with 5 games.

Ashes can be 5.

When it comes to India

Border GavaskarTrophy should be 4.

Against SA & Eng it should be 3.

With 3 simultaneous formats, 5 tests is indeed an overkill as you said. Especially when it becomes way too one-sided.