Anime/Manga Thread

I6MTW

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

I'm probably just too damn old for anime now!

I watched Sword of the Stranger a few months ago, I'm sure if I was a teenager I would have found it the greatest thing ever but to be honest I found it a bit boring and silly. It's the same with Hajime No Ippo, despite being a boxing fan I found it too theatrical. A lot of anime has a lot in Bollywood theatrics.

I watched Ippo quite late, and I still liked it a lot. Undeniably silly and over the top, but I have a [childish] fondness for slapstick/physical comedy and Ippo has plenty of that.

8 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I'm probably just too damn old for anime now!

I watched Sword of the Stranger a few months ago, I'm sure if I was a teenager I would have found it the greatest thing ever but to be honest I found it a bit boring and silly. It's the same with Hajime No Ippo, despite being a boxing fan I found it too theatrical. A lot of anime has a lot in Bollywood theatrics.

Watch Monster. You won't find it silly or childish. It's the closest thing to Silence of the Lambs in Anime.

Probably one of the greatest animated shows of all time.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:52 AM, I6MTW said:

Watch Monster. You won't find it silly or childish. It's the closest thing to Silence of the Lambs in Anime.

Probably one of the greatest animated shows of all time.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I might try Psycho Pass as well.

4 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I might try Psycho Pass as well.

I didn't really enjoy psycho pass that much. Maybe because I felt it was too similar to Monster and Death Note. But the first season is decent.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, Vijy said:

first 2-3 entries are indeed awesome in the list.

AoT is like a cultural phenomenon. Even people who otherwise haven't watched Anime seem to have watched it.  

Edited by Tibarn

Updated

Great

Attack on Titan

Monster

Code Geass

Cowboy Beebop

Good

Valkyria Chronicles 

Dragonball(original not Z)

Okay

Ghost in a Shell- I am biased here. I already have familiarity with the philosophical concepts explored in that film, so it wasn't really thought provoking for me. It would be different for those unexposed to it.

My Hero Academia 

Demon Slayer  

Arjuna

Samurai Champloo

Neon Genesis Evangelion is okay, and I understood what they were doing with the original ending, but it seemed like a chore to watch much of the time.

Death Note was good only in the first half, even then, it is over-hyped in that portion, IMO. 

DBZ(too much filler, should have ended at the Cel Arc,IMO)

I still have to watch 

Promised Neverland

Stein's Gate

On 3/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, Tibarn said:

Updated

Great

Attack on Titan

Monster

Code Geass

Cowboy Beebop

Good

Valkyria Chronicles 

Dragonball(original not Z)

Okay

Ghost in a Shell- I am biased here. I already have familiarity with the philosophical concepts explored in that film, so it wasn't really thought provoking for me. It would be different for those unexposed to it.

My Hero Academia 

Demon Slayer  

Arjuna

Samurai Champloo

Neon Genesis Evangelion is okay, and I understood what they were doing with the original ending, but it seemed like a chore to watch much of the time.

Death Note was good only in the first half, even then, it is over-hyped in that portion, IMO. 

DBZ(too much filler, should have ended at the Cel Arc,IMO)

I still have to watch 

Promised Neverland

Stein's Gate

don't see S2 of promised neverland. S1 is really good though

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

What are some good, breezy, slice of life anime? I have seen a few like Hyouka, Nana etc. 

Hyouka is great. Nana is a bit heavier, with more drama & serious themes, as you know. SoL (slice of life) is a very broad genre. One of my all-time fav anime is "March comes in like a lion", which some classify as SoL, while others call it a sports drama. my teenage comedy snafu is also pretty good

19 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Hyouka is great. Nana is a bit heavier, with more drama & serious themes, as you know. SoL (slice of life) is a very broad genre. One of my all-time fav anime is "March comes in like a lion", which some classify as SoL, while others call it a sports drama. my teenage comedy snafu is also pretty good

I also saw this one called Barakamon. It's a SoL anime about a calligrapher looking to find some inspiration.

Just now, I6MTW said:

Yea I have heard of that. Will check it out. 

Komi-san can't communicate is also SoL in this season. hugely popular manga (which I like). the anime adaptation is good, but the manga is hard to convert to anime and the former is much better.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

Komi-san can't communicate is also SoL in this season. hugely popular manga (which I like). the anime adaptation is good, but the manga is hard to convert to anime and the former is much better.

Yea it's on my Netflix recommendation. I was thinking of watching it.

Just now, I6MTW said:

Yea it's on my Netflix recommendation. I was thinking of watching it.

you should give 1-2 episodes a shot and see whether it's for you. anime has been a bit polarizing. while many like it, a significant minority do not.

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

you should give 1-2 episodes a shot and see whether it's for you. anime has been a bit polarizing. while many like it, a significant minority do not.

Oh okay. I saw the reviews and it was ranked 8/10. Which I feel is the benchmark for a decent anime. Any anime ranked less than 8 is average, only exception is Only Yesterday.