Eternal Marvel of the world of music - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

randomGuy

4 hours ago, FischerTal said:

Same.. for some reason I always found him as having the voice of a person who had just stepped on a sharp nail or glass. 

It is not apa-swaram, but a style of music, Sufi qawaal where deep immersion in ibaadat will let you go deeper in range and pitch and extend your reach, so they go hard on it. Sometimes jarring as they switch very quickly and it might sound like off-scale, but it is an acquired taste. Even his nephew RFAK does it too. His best music came in Bandit Queen, this song was v popular

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

It is not apa-swaram, but a style of music, Sufi qawaal where deep immersion in ibaadat will let you go deeper in range and pitch and extend your reach, so they go hard on it. Sometimes jarring as they switch very quickly and it might sound like off-scale, but it is an acquired taste. Even his nephew RFAK does it too. His best music came in Bandit Queen, this song was v popular

Yes, Nusrat could go from sudden high to sudden low, he possessed a six octave vocal range, which was rare. Plus his voice was rustic, not the cleanest or smoothest voice, but it was something different, which is why some people feel he's not as smooth as other classical singers, but he is, it's just his style and voice that makes it seem otherwise sometimes. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

I’m not dissing him. Just different people prefer different types of music and singing.

23 hours ago, maniac said:

Nusrat Ali minus the Bally Sagoo or whoever did those remixes is an acquired taste.

Also we have guys like Bhimsen Joshi, Bala Murali etc etc but obviously it’s apparently not as cool to be a connoisseur of them because Bollywood morons go gaga over Nusrat Ali and his kids and have a hardon for anything Pakistan .

He was a great musician though don’t get me wrong but little over publicized.

Exactly I don't like any Pakistani actor, charecters or sports person. Coz eventually they all have to spit venom against India. We have our Bhupen Hazarika, Pandit Jasraj and Bhimsen Joshi but people only romanticize those pokris like Nusrat Fatah Khan and puppies and Gulam Ali and his puppies because leftist media and libtard bollywood has created this perception that they were the real artist.

1 minute ago, raki05 said:

Exactly I don't like any Pakistani actor, charecters or sports person. Coz eventually they all have to spit venom against India. We have our Bhupen Hazarika, Pandit Jasraj and Bhimsen Joshi but people only romanticize those pokris like Nusrat Fatah Khan and puppies and Gulam Ali and his puppies because leftist media and libtard bollywood has created this perception that they were the real artist.

Well, NFAK has been dead for more than 2 decades, and when he was alive he never said anything bad against India, or anyone in general for that matter. Bollywood use to copy his songs left and right without permission as it was told, and still he didn't say anything for a long time, he did get irritated though. NFAK was more done to earth than others, and gave off all of his money to charity etc. He was also never anti-hindu. He has sang in India and had even praised  hindu concepts. 

Yes Bollywood had hyped him, but that was mainly because his songs were remixed and copied often, it's not as if Bollywood actually respected the guy , they just used his compositions for making money. So I'd never trust whatever Bollywood does.

15 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Well, NFAK has been dead for more than 2 decades, and when he was alive he never said anything bad against India, or anyone in general for that matter. Bollywood use to copy his songs left and right without permission as it was told, and still he didn't say anything for a long time, he did get irritated though. NFAK was more done to earth than others, and gave off all of his money to charity etc. He was also never anti-hindu. He has sang in India and had even praised  hindu concepts. 

Yes Bollywood had hyped him, but that was mainly because his songs were remixed and copied often, it's not as if Bollywood actually respected the guy , they just used his compositions for making money. So I'd never trust whatever Bollywood does.

In India hardly anyone care about Pakistani other than politicians and some social media nerds who seeks attention. Still you see the hatred for India in Pakistan. I don't have any hatred for NFAK all I am trying to say is the way bollywood and some of us romanticize Pakistani as if they were pinnacle, and we never give same credit to our own classical or folk singers. Eventually liking Someone is one's personal choice but I tend to avoid them as we have so many of ours whom we don't give due credit.

8 minutes ago, raki05 said:

In India hardly anyone care about Pakistani other than politicians and some social media nerds who seeks attention. Still you see the hatred for India in Pakistan. I don't have any hatred for NFAK all I am trying to say is the way bollywood and some of us romanticize Pakistani as if they were pinnacle, and we never give same credit to our own classical or folk singers. Eventually liking Someone is one's personal choice but I tend to avoid them as we have so many of ours whom we don't give due credit.

Fair Enough. I listen to Bhimasen Joshi as well as NFAK. Bhimsen Joshi, Bala Muralikrishna, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, NFAK, were some of the best hindustani classical singers in the sub continent.

On 7/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, maniac said:

Also we have guys like Bhimsen Joshi, Bala Murali etc etc but obviously it’s apparently not as cool to be a connoisseur of them because Bollywood morons go gaga over Nusrat Ali and his kids and have a hardon for anything Pakistan .

He was a great musician though don’t get me wrong but little over publicized.

Was not needed at all.

OP didn't say he is the best or Pakistani rock- Indians suck ,etc. Just shared a song he likes, can he not even do that without seeing someone bring the Pakistani connection?

Edited by Chakdephatte

11 hours ago, First class said:

My all time favorite , pure , hardcore beautiful Punjabi, 2 legends 1 masterpiece no one can match this. For years, whenever I listen this masterclass , ( almost ) brings tears in my eyes, not sure

You should listen to other versions too. I like Jasbir Jassi version the most. Mahendar Kapoor's was the most 'beautiful' though not the best.

Edited by Chakdephatte

1 hour ago, Chakdephatte said:

He was not classical musician. Was trained but that's about it.

Yes not purely classical, though he did engage in ragas and piece of classical music from time to time. He was mostly semi classical.