Comedian Surleen Kaur targets ISKON & HINDU faith

Texy

45 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This person hasn't made fun of Raja Shivaji. 

If anything she mocked Quora.

For a small time party like the MNS, targeting a comedian is obviously an easy way to make the headlines to try stay relevant.

I have already said her comedy is least offensive to Shivaji and only mocking Shivaji bhakts In specifically Quora. Look at her bias in the apology. She apologized specifically to NCP, ShivSena and Congress, makes it a point to not apologize to BJP. This kind of hypocrisy is what getting BJP in power in most states

On 6/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, I6MTW said:

Well this guy isn't anti-Hindu per se. He made light headed fun of Christianity as well in his other jokes. In real life, he teaches yoga, he teaches Carnatic music and is a professional Carnatic singer.

Coffee does not care he searches for dirt on Tamils as he hates them basically. 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, I6MTW said:

Well this guy isn't anti-Hindu per se. He made light headed fun of Christianity as well in his other jokes. In real life, he teaches yoga, he teaches Carnatic music and is a professional Carnatic singer. He also prays to Hindu gods. Basically pro Indian culture and anti-west. So this comedy was just light headed. Nothing as crass or offensive as Surleen Kaur. So I wouldn't go far as to say all jokes on hindu should be taken action on. Context and background is required. Especially if comedians make fun of everything not subjected to Hinduism only. 

Good for him. But still doesn’t give him license to diss Ganesha’s story, making fun of his story and doubting his parentage. Will he be making jokes about Virgin Mary’s motherhood as well?

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Munawar Faruquo who had jokes on Ram-Sita and other Hindu gods was arrested in Indore for hurting Hindu sentiments 

He should feel lucky hindus don’t behead people for hurting their religious sentiments.

So, should stand-up comedians

(a) not be allowed to make any jokes targeting deities and/or revered rulers from the past?  

(b) be able to make such jokes, as long as they don't target any particular religion, but spread their "humour" across all religions/regions?  So, if you make a joke against Shivaji, you must also make a joke against Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar, Aurangzeb and Alexander.

(c) be able to make whatever jokes they want, but have the spine to face criticism from offended followers?

OR

(d) This discussion is not really about the comedians themselves, rather about how media reacts to their jokes based on which religion is being targeted (i.e., anti-Hindu is ok, but anti-Muslim is not).

36 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

So, should stand-up comedians

(a) not be allowed to make any jokes targeting deities and/or revered rulers from the past?  

(b) be able to make such jokes, as long as they don't target any particular religion, but spread their "humour" across all religions/regions?  So, if you make a joke against Shivaji, you must also make a joke against Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar, Aurangzeb and Alexander.

(c) be able to make whatever jokes they want, but have the spine to face criticism from offended followers?

OR

(d) This discussion is not really about the comedians themselves, rather about how media reacts to their jokes based on which religion is being targeted (i.e., anti-Hindu is ok, but anti-Muslim is not).

Fairness in their coverage. They pick on soft targets - Hindus, Brahmins.  They can't do it with all others because others put a price on their head. Look at how this guy is reasoning with Munawar before he was arrested.  He is asking about the language used for Shri Ram and also daring him to make jokes on Paigambar. No other community will reason with him so peacefully.

This may not be related to this thread but ISCKON in its current avatar is not the same as hinduism. ISCKON was Hindu when its founder Srila Prabhupada was alive but subverted to a dangerous cult after his death which many former ISCKON devotees think is a murder. One of his followers was murdered in California when he was about to expose the ISCKON members in a book called "the guru business"

20 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Fairness in their coverage. They pick on soft targets - Hindus, Brahmins.  They can't do it with all others because others put a price on their head. Look at how this guy is reasoning with Munawar before he was arrested.  He is asking about the language used for Shri Ram and also daring him to make jokes on Paigambar. No other community will reason with him so peacefully.

Fairness is very difficult to define in this context, alva?  I wish it was practical for each stand-up comic to crack the same number of jokes (and type of joke) on each religion, but that is impractical.   The only other options are:

(1) Legislation and Censorship:  Govt decides what type of jokes are or are not okay and duly enforces them in the form of fines or jail time.  

OR

(2) Public boycotts them.  Don't buy tickets or view their videos if you don't like their jokes.  

The 3rd option - violence - should not tolerated even if the comics cross a line.

Also, at the risk of upsetting everyone here, let me say this:  I think it is okay, even commendable, that Hindus have a thick skin and a good sense of humor, and are secure enough in their faith that they can laugh at themselves and not let stand-up comedians dictate how they feel about their religion.  For millenia, Hinduism has survived various onslaughts and cultural amalgamations mainly due to this accommodating outlook - it is a hallmark of the religion and makes it stronger, IMO.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

As for ISKCON, they deserve a good bit of the derision that comes their way.  My dad was a life-member in the 80s and we'd go every Sunday for discourse (at that time, they had rented a house). 

In one discourse, one of them claimed that "Sheeva" had only 80% the power of Krishna.  As a Krishna-Bhakt in those days, I gleefully lapped it up.  Now, I feel someone should have asked:

(1) What power parameters did you measure?

(2) What were your hypotheses?

(3) How did you run the power-tests?

(4) Did you get reproducible results?

(5) Were the results statistically significant and relevant in multiple contexts?

(6) Is there a plausible biological mechanism for the power-differential?

(7) Are the results peer-reviewed and/or published? 

If not, go do the work and report to us after a few years, son.

18 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Fairness is very difficult to define in this context, alva?  I wish it was practical for each stand-up comic to crack the same number of jokes (and type of joke) on each religion, but that is impractical.   The only other options are:

(1) Legislation and Censorship:  Govt decides what type of jokes are or are not okay and duly enforces them in the form of fines or jail time.  

OR

(2) Public boycotts them.  Don't buy tickets or view their videos if you don't like their jokes.  

The 3rd option - violence - should not tolerated even if the comics cross a line.

Also, at the risk of upsetting everyone here, let me say this:  I think it is okay, even commendable, that Hindus have a thick skin and a good sense of humor, and are secure enough in their faith that they can laugh at themselves and not let stand-up comedians dictate how they feel about their religion.  For millenia, Hinduism has survived various onslaughts and cultural amalgamations mainly due to this accommodating outlook - it is a hallmark of the religion and makes it stronger, IMO.  

Best course of action would be to practice precaution with your material. But if you still aren't afraid to push the boundaries of your humor, then stick to your own community/faith. Regardless of how funny you are it's always audience's perspective that determines the harassment. 

Edited by donkey

On 1/5/2021 at 10:42 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

OR

Not true. It's a battlefield, and not fighting makes you weak. It's important for to stop this "all religions are same", and focus on it's own religion uniqueness and yet defend and counter against any Hinduphobia.

Ideally, you want a level-playing field where all can be discussed and questioned. But this open-architecture system which should have been Hindu strength, has turned out to be a weakness in today's times.