CA accuses Cisco managers of caste discrimination in USA

coffee_rules

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

This may be the right decision (that Cisco is not culpable, even if those two individuals acted unethically), but it is a stretch to say that there is a strong commitment to law and procedure in the West.  It may be a bit stronger than it is in the developing world, but it is heavily tilted against African-Americans.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

I have one question? If caste system is specific to India then why do we have "Surname:" in passport all over the world?

In India , Issue is social class divison on Surname basis. We need to fight this menace of inequality but I do not buy caste system is to do with Hindus only

5 minutes ago, mishra said:

I have one question? If caste system is specific to India then why do we have "Surname:" in passport all over the world?

In India , Issue is social class divison on Surname basis. We need to fight this menace of inequality but I do not buy caste system is to do with Hindus only

If your surname is Smith or Johnson, I cannot distinguish your caste.  If it is Iyer or Naidu, I can.  Therein lies the difference.  

But I see your point.  Discrimination is not unique to Indian/Hindu society.  Different socieities discriminate based on different parameters.   

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

So basically its more of Hindu smearing campaign on world stage. I doubt even if there was anything factual in this case. Person who claimed caste descrimination should be booked. 

I never ask caste of a Indian acquntance. I am happy that he is a Indian origin and I can talk in local language. Same is true with them. Same is true for all nri icfers

Edited by mishra

5 minutes ago, mishra said:

So basically its more of Hindu smearing campaign on world stage. I doubt even if there was anything factual in this case. Person who claimed caste descrimination should be booked. 

I ever ask caste of a Indian acquntance. I am happy that he is a Indian origin and I can talk in local language. Same is true with them.

Assuming everyone who shares your country of birth is as good as you is naive.  There are scores of people who have asked me my caste.  

13 minutes ago, mishra said:

Butcher, Carpenter,Woodman?

fyi Smith. Ignorance is bliss

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=smith+surname

Of course, 100s of years ago.  But intermixing has diluted those divisions.  It has not happened in our society yet.  And like I said, Iyers share common caste-based traditions.  Smiths don't.  

Today, in 2020, someone with the name Mishra, I can guess is likely from a particular state, is likely to be of a particular caste and is likely to follow certain traditions.  Good luck trying to do that with a Smith. 

12 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Those don't represent a particular class of people.  For example, all butchers don't follow certain social customs.  Iyers do.

It does, aristrocrats do not get married to such people. I updated your Smith stuff too who are foundry /smithonian people. Only now  mentality is changing globally. So is in India. However in places, not in west? Things are more bad along their own caste lines. Western governments are simply bringing equality without accepting the menace by education.

Its just that India and Indian Hindus have officially accepted this menace and doing major shakeup. But its a shame that rest of world libdus keep feasting with anti Hindu agenda instead of giving credit to Hindus

Edited by mishra

28 minutes ago, mishra said:

A lot of South Indians don’t have surnames like KL Rahul , K Gowtham or M Vijay. Nobody knows their caste. We should do away with caste based lastnames like Sharma, Mishra, Gupta, Saxena, Naidu, Reddy that reveals their caste. In UP, esp Bihar, to hide caste-based  lastnames they use a generic lastname Kumar, like Nitish Kumar, because there is so much favoritism or discrimination on caste. In Kannada we don’t have a word - caste. We call jaati, originally meant community. But it is just another word for caste to perpetuate discrimination . 

Also, in colleges, we never talked about those who got in from reservation or management quota. All were same, either topper, average or students with arrears. I wish it was the case in life. 

I agree with @mishra , nobody from my age group has asked me my caste or nor have I asked of others. Yes, older gen do that, not in ours. 

Edited by coffee_rules

Just now, mishra said:

It does, aristrocrats do not get married to such people. I updated your Smith stuff too who are foundry /smithonian people. Only now  mentality is changing globally. So is in India. However in places, not in west? Things are more bad along their own caste lines. Western governments are simply bringing equality without accepting it.

Its just that India and Indian Hindus have officially accepted this menace and doing major shakeup. But its a shame that rest of world libdus keep feasting with anti Hindu agenda instead of giving credit to Hindus

Aristocrats?  In the India I grew up in, even a lower middle class family like mine would not marry a "lower-caste" person.  It may be changing now in the urban areas, but there is a long way to go.  Again, smiths today don't share common traditions that are different from butchers.  Brahmins still do do. 

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

A lot of South Indians don’t have surnames like KL Rahul , K Gowtham or M Vijay. Nobody knows their caste. We should do away with caste based last names like Sharma, Mishra, Gupta, Saxena, Naidu, Reddy that reveals their caste. In UP, esp Bihar, to hide caste-based  last names they use a generic last name like Kumar, like Nitish Kumar, because there is so much favoritism or discrimination on caste. In Kannada we don’t have a word - caste. We call jaati, originally meant community. But it is just another word for caste to perpetuate discrimination . 

Also, in colleges, we never talked about those who got in from reservation or management quota. All were same, either topper, average or students with arrears. I wish it was the case in life. 

I accept, its a menace. But, I dont agree that their was/is no caste system in rest pof world.  Havent read Mhabharata, but on tele, Yudhisthira punishes Brahman most for the same crime compared to others, reason was that Brahman is educated. He defines educated means Brahmin. Indian issue is, we are not ready to mix on basis of surname. We need a shakeup. I am in full support to it. Educated People  should take this as their responsibility.

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

A lot of South Indians don’t have surnames like KL Rahul , K Gowtham or M Vijay. Nobody knows their caste. We should do away with caste based last names like Sharma, Mishra, Gupta, Saxena, Naidu, Reddy that reveals their caste. In UP, esp Bihar, to hide caste-based  last names they use a generic last name like Kumar, like Nitish Kumar, because there is so much favoritism or discrimination on caste. In Kannada we don’t have a word - caste. We call jaati, originally meant community. But it is just another word for caste to perpetuate discrimination . 

It was that way when I did my BSc.  But when I did my MSc, >80% of my class was rural.  And I was stunned at the amount of Gowda vs. Lingayat, Gowda vs. Brahmin, Brahmin vs SC conversations.  Yes, this was the early '90s.  But even now, within some of my Whatsapp groups, the divisions are visible.  There is progress but a long way to go.  

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Aristocrats?  In the India I grew up in, even a lower middle class family like mine would not marry a "lower-caste" person.  It may be changing now in the urban areas, but there is a long way to go.  Again, smiths today don't share common traditions that are different from butchers.  Brahmins still do do. 

Yes,, Because its enshrined in constitution and Indians are making effort. Social customs and issues take generations to recover. We had no Purda system. We got Parda system and then we are getting rid of Parda system. Now check the choronolyy of Parda System getting introduced and staying in Indian society.

3 minutes ago, mishra said:

I accept, its a menace. But, I dont agree that their was/is no caste system in rest pof world.  Havent read Mhabharata, but on tele, Yudhisthira punishes Brahman most for the same crime compared to others, reason was that Brahman is educated. He defines educated means Brahmin. Indian issue is, we are not ready to mix on basis of surname. We need a shakeup. I am in full support to it. Educated People  should take this as their responsibility.

Discrimination exists and is probably worse in other countries, but it is not based on castes or last names.  It is based on race, ethnicity etc.    

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Discrimination exists and is probably worse in other countries, but it is not based on castes or last names.  It is based on race, ethnicity etc.    

let me know when a some with surname Khan/Mirza marries from someone from qasai family. Its their. And its not even recognised.

As far as west is concerned, Its still there at certain level. Ask Prince Harry who is Royally rewarded :phehe: by our queen.

Edited by mishra