Underrated Films Thread

Ankit_sharma03

On 7/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, maniac said:

I didn’t like it that much. Checked it out after you and sree/enter the void recommended. I thought it was ok. It’s one thing to have unknown actors it’s different when you have amateur actors with no experience. Some actors were below par.

What part about the movie you didn't like?

I absolutely loved it. It was such a refreshing watch. The plot is top notch.

7G Brindhavan Colony is another good one if you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolU7R2BP4Y

Edited by EnterTheVoid

Allied .... watched it in cinema when it came out and liked it. Vintage Casablanca part is nicely done .... Looks good in HD Blu -ray but the 4K Dolby Vision version brings out the best in it in terms of PQ:

On 7/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, EnterTheVoid said:

What part about the movie you didn't like?

I absolutely loved it. It was such a refreshing watch. The plot is top notch.

7G Brindhavan Colony is another good one if you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolU7R2BP4Y

I am not a fan of Romantic dramas that’s were the bias comes from because I went in expecting some kind of a super deluxe type thriller but you are right it was well made film minus the usual over the top gimmicks we see in Telugu movies. Simple story.

Inglorious Basterds is among my top Tarantino. Extremely well written and Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger were all great. Tarantino is a great filmmaker period. Didn't like Hateful eight the first time I saw it but the 2nd viewing after carefully reading subtitles and getting some civil war context made it a much better experience.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jimmy Cliff said:

His 2nd best for me. PF still Uber Alles. The dialogue and characters is what makes PF what it is. And PF did that whole post modern. meta, ironic shtick better than any movie back then and any movie since. Which is why it still remains as fresh and influential till date.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, Gollum said:

Tarantino's best IMO, just ahead of Django Unchained. Don't understand why people love hot garbage like RD, PF.

:eviltongue:

9 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Inglorious Basterds is among my top Tarantino. Extremely well written and Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger were all great. Tarantino is a great filmmaker period. Didn't like Hateful eight the first time I saw it but the 2nd viewing after carefully reading subtitles and getting some civil war context made it a much better experience.

One of my favorite time pass movies...  Never got enough of this classic.  It's not underrated though. 

Pulp fiction IB & Kill Bill (1&2) are finest Tarantino work till date. 

29 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

One of my favorite time pass movies...  Never got enough of this classic.  It's not underrated though. 

Pulp fiction IB & Kill Bill (1&2) are finest Tarantino work till date. 

Here are some underrated movies that i liked

1. A very long engagement by Jean pierre Jeunet. I found it to be a better work than his other classic Amelie

2. Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson some borderline taboo stuff but great craftsmanship as always

3. Alice doesnt live here anymore by Scorsese

4. Alphaville by Jean Luc Goddard. only Goddard i could understand to some extent

5. Whole Antoine Doinel series by Truffaut. 400 blows is the only one that gets talked about

6. Calcutta trilogy (Pratidwandi, Seemabaddha, Jana Aranya) by Satyajit Ray. Ray was great at handling urban themes too. Very different from the Apu Trilogy

7. Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia by Sam Peckinpah

8. The Lower Depths both by Renoir and Kurosawa (different treatment by two geniuses)

9. The Killing by Stanley Kubrick. Johnny Gaddar borrowed a lot from this

10. Woman in the Dunes by Hiroshi Teshigahara

Actually some of these movies are not underrated but they don't get discussed as much.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, Forward Defence said:

Here are some underrated movies that i liked

1. A very long engagement by Jean pierre Jeunet. I found it to be a better work than his other classic Amelie

2. Moonrise Kingdom by Wes Anderson some borderline taboo stuff but great craftsmanship as always

3. Alice doesnt live here anymore by Scorsese

4. Alphaville by Jean Luc Goddard. only Goddard i could understand to some extent

5. Whole Antoine Doinel series by Truffaut. 400 blows is the only one that gets talked about

6. Calcutta trilogy (Pratidwandi, Seemabaddha, Jana Aranya) by Satyajit Ray. Ray was great at handling urban themes too. Very different from the Apu Trilogy

7. Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia by Sam Peckinpah

8. The Lower Depths both by Renoir and Kurosawa (different treatment by two geniuses)

9. The Killing by Stanley Kubrick. Johnny Gaddar borrowed a lot from this

10. Woman in the Dunes by Hiroshi Teshigahara

Actually some of these movies are not underrated but they don't get discussed as much.

many of these are highly acclaimed in the film critic circles. I would not call most of them underrated - but they are woefully underwatched