Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sandeep

NEP language fiasco

19 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

True to forum/Social Media styled discussions, you we have picked side and being bone headed about it regardless of evidence and arguments. There's going to be no law ever that says only kannada medium schools would run in Karnataka - although a vast majority of schools would be in the local language. The rules are yet to be spelt out but it's certain that by MT, the NEP means any Indian language - a tamil school can run in bengaluru given enough demand for it.

Again: 

(1) MT education is beneficial (evidence accepted!!)

(2) Learning multiple languages in beneficial.

(3) English is not the be-all and end-all of education.

(4) IF and only IF local medium is mandated, there is a problem.  IF not, there is no problem.  IF only optional, there is no problem.

(5) If, as a Tamilian living in Jalandhar, I don't have to go to a Punjabi school, there is no problem.

1 hour ago, zen said:

From what I understand, there is the option to acquire education is English too esp. from Grade 6 if I am not wrong. 

Also nothing wrong with plucking coconuts or driving taxis as well if people prefer to do that. Another cultural negative that needs to be weeded out is the disparagement of a variety of professions. People should be encouraged to do what they find interesting including being teachers, mechanics, etc., rather than equating success mainly with becoming a business tycoon or a C level executive.  

Absolutely agree.  I went overboard with that comment.  That was a total brainfade moment; thank you for calling it out.    

12 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Again: 

(1) MT education is beneficial (evidence accepted!!)

(2) Learning multiple languages in beneficial.

(3) English is not the be-all and end-all of education.

(4) IF and only IF local medium is mandated, there is a problem.  IF not, there is no problem.  IF only optional, there is no problem.

(5) If, as a Tamilian living in Jalandhar, I don't have to go to a Punjabi school, there is no problem.

If you are going to be this agitated about your precious tamil, it's best to read up the NEP. Being uninformed and that fake forum bluster is NOT a good look. The NEP categorically says kids are to be taught either in their mother tongue or the local language till grade 5.

8 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

If you are going to be this agitated about your precious tamil, it's best to read up the NEP. Being uninformed and that fake forum bluster is NOT a good look. The NEP categorically says kids are to be taught either in their mother tongue or the local language till grade 5.

It's not about Tamil.  That's just an illustration.  Again, the tone of the thread suggested this was going to be mandated.  And I rolled with it.  

So, now - let's consider a kid whose MT is A.  He lives in a state where local language in X.  There are not enough A-medium schools where he lives.  So, IYO, is he better off going to X-medium or English medium?  I don't think it matters - either way it is not his MT, so the benefits are non-existent.   

2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

It's not about Tamil.  That's just an illustration.  Again, the tone of the thread suggested this was going to be mandated.  And I rolled with it.  

So, now - let's consider a kid whose MT is A.  He lives in a state where local language in X.  There are not enough A-medium schools where he lives.  So, IYO, is he better off going to X-medium or English medium?  I don't think it matters - either way it is not his MT, so the benefits are non-existent.   

And as I noted above, it'd be a challenge but by no means an insurmountable one. Besides, this case you are illustrating to rail against the NEP proposal would affect what percentage of the total cohort? My optimistic guess is less than 10 percent.

Remember, no policy measure is EVER a 100 percent hit. There are trade offs and there are misses. On balance, this NEP proposal passes the muster for me.

10 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

And as I noted above, it'd be a challenge but by no means an insurmountable one. Besides, this case you are illustrating to rail against the NEP proposal would affect what percentage of the total cohort? My optimistic guess is less than 10 percent.

Remember, no policy measure is EVER a 100 percent hit. There are trade offs and there are misses. On balance, this NEP proposal passes the muster for me.

Not railing against it.  Just pointing out the flaws and the apparent lack of consideration for the simple idea that there are a significant number of people who work for govt, banks etc. that are transferred frequently.  And their kids' medium of instruction will keep changing from X to Y to Z, while MT will always be A.  Might as well keep them in English medium for uniformity.  

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

There is a lot of good in there.  But the local language instruction is a flaw.  Pointing it out doesn't mean one is against the whole thing.  

All newspapers share this...

EeLGssXVoAE7jsL?format=png&name=large

“The policy also says that wherever possible, the medium of instruction in schools until at least Class 5, but preferably until Class 8 and beyond, will be the home language or mother tongue or regional language. This is a long-held view, and has its merits, although in a large and diverse country where mobility is high, the student should have the option to study in the language that enables a transfer nationally. English has performed that role due to historical factors.”

What does wherever possible mean? It means it will not be enforced but encouraged . Hopefully, an option for people to exercise. Otherwise, it could be in Govt schools only. It will be a nightmare to implement it in spirit.

I think there is some motive of  the clause “wherever possible”. It might help some RSS run schools to implement it . Also, Govt might give tax incentives to schools which implement it. 

TN struck gold with its 2 language policy of Tamil and English in the 60's itself. Thank you C.N Annadurai. Tamil for us and English with rest of the world.

TN should stick with its 2 language policy. We don't need a 3rd language. Asking kids to learn 3 languages is a goddamn waste of time and puts unnecessary pressure on young kids thereby resulting in dropouts. Besides there are many more crucial life skills to be learnt instead of an unnecessary 3rd language.

Another policy that rest of the indian states to emulate.

13 hours ago, Stan AF said:

TN struck gold with its 2 language policy of Tamil and English in the 60's itself. Thank you C.N Annadurai. Tamil for us and English with rest of the world.

TN should stick with its 2 language policy. We don't need a 3rd language. Asking kids to learn 3 languages is a goddamn waste of time and puts unnecessary pressure on young kids thereby resulting in dropouts. Besides there are many more crucial life skills to be learnt instead of an unnecessary 3rd language.

Another policy that rest of the indian states to emulate.

True dat. TN is such a success story that in delhi NCR, after the bengalis, it's the tamils - even more than biharis - who dominate the domestic bai scene. Come to railway tracks crossing Lajpat Nagar II and observe the success story in action, masses of slummy tamils living and shitting in open.

Good 2nd step! IIRC children need to learn at least 6 years in their MTs to maximize the benefits, so that is good. 

Last year the Centre started the process of having textbooks, including higher ed textbooks IIRC, translated into Indian languages.  

We will see what step 3 of this process is!

On 8/2/2020 at 12:39 AM, sarchasm said:

True dat. TN is such a success story that in delhi NCR, after the bengalis, it's the tamils - even more than biharis - who dominate the domestic bai scene. Come to railway tracks crossing Lajpat Nagar II and observe the success story in action, masses of slummy tamils living and shitting in open.

Such a poor, bitter post. As if the rest of India is so highly educated  and no other community lives in slums . The 2 language policy is the way forward for India no matter what anyone thinks

Also people talking about Kannada medium, Tamil medium schools in bangalore need to remember that these schools offered very poor quality education. Literally anyone who understood  the advantage of instruction in english would bend over backwards to put their kids in English medium convent schools like a josephs, cottons, FAPS, Baldwin's and their ilk(oldest schools in blore) until the 80's and subsequently the various other icse, CBSe and international schools where english is pretty much the dominant language spoken among students. How do you think this city has such a high number of speakers of english at least as a second language ?

English as a first language and the state language/Hindi as the second language as per preference . Go ahead with this idea and it will only increase the gap between the English speaking elite and those who learn in their mother tongues. Of course, it will be the elite that would actually support this as it would simply continue to give them a privileged status while damning the regional language speakers with no chance of upward social mobility 

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Also people talking about Kannada medium, Tamil medium schools in bangalore need to remember that these schools offered very poor quality education. Literally anyone who understood  the advantage of instruction in english would bend over backwards to put their kids in English medium convent schools like a josephs, cottons, FAPS, Baldwin's and their ilk(oldest schools in blore) until the 80's and subsequently the various other icse, CBSe and international schools where english is pretty much the dominant language spoken among students. How do you think this city has such a high number of speakers of english at least as a second language ?

English as a first language and the state language/Hindi as the second language as per preference . Go ahead with this idea and it will only increase the gap between the English speaking elite and those who learn in their mother tongues. Of course, it will be the elite that would actually support this as it would simply continue to give them a privileged status while damning the regional language speakers with no chance of upward social mobility 

There are/were quality Kannada medium schools. We are talking about Primary education till 5th at least. We don’t need  kids in wombs learning English. If it is encouraged, there a no harm done.

Regarding languages, we need a national link language. Hindi is the defacto link Lang which could be encouraged and not enforced 

Some of the schemes introduced by the Tamil Nadu government in school education are

Girls education

Mid-day Meal Scheme with Egg

Distribution of free textbooks

Distribution of free uniforms

Distribution of free bus pass

50K for a girl.child during the marriage if the girl completes 12th std.

Free Sanitary napkin for girls

Free Bicycle

Free Sandals

Nutrition Mix

School bag

Tamil nadu has more number of Govt schools providing free education.

Free education for first graduate in the family

Some of the above reg Girls education is good, except the marriage one, but funding all these costs