MS Dhoni announces retirement from international cricket on his Instagram account.

3 ICC trophies, only captain (or player?) who came close to holding all 3 trophies at the same time (2011 WC, 2013 CT, 2014WT20 :(() thanks for your leadership Mahi. No Indian ODI cricketer gave me as much joy as Mahi did when he first broke into the team, was privileged to watch his 148 against Pakistan live in the stadium. Some of my best memories are of him (and Yuvi) chasing down those big totals in Pakistan 2006 series without breaking a sweat. Truly an outstanding white ball captain and will make the squad of AT World ODI XI, that he excelled in the toughest role in cricket and came from such humble origins should continue to inspire future generations of budding cricketers. 

Edited by Gollum

End of an era. He was the last of that batch (Viru, Gambo, Yuvi, Zak, Pathan, Chucky....) which emerged post fixing saga under leadership of Dada, played an aggressive/entertaining/fearless brand of cricket and made us believe we could be champions. For those who watched the dreary 90s, it was a refreshing change and such a captivating period, great time to be an Indian cricket fan. 

Among all the impressive facets of his game, I think his stumping skills will be his biggest lasting legacy. Gathering and removing the bails in one quick motion, deflecting throws from the outfield onto the stumps, waiting for the precise moment the batsman lifts his back foot and then removing the bails etc. He has taken the art of stumping to a whole new level.

Thanks MS for the 2 world cups, great finishes, helicopter shots, shrewd strategies and great temperament. The cricketing world will surely be poorer without you.