India and Russia co-champions of FIDE (Chess) Online Olympiad

Gollum

6 hours ago, bharathh said:

Is there a reason we don't have any elite Indian chessmen/women anymore? 

Do we have an heir to Anand in the offing? 

2700+ are unofficially known as super GMs we have 2 more(Vidit Gujrati, Harikrishna) apart from Anand. Capable... in top 25 I guess, although not in top 10.

We have sufficient depth which is why we jointly won the Olympiad. 

I think from the juniors (like nihal sarin, raunak sadhwani) we will get players in top 10 in future.

There are other countries also competing russia usa china...and anand was a 5 time world champion. That is an amazing record.

Edited by randomGuy

17 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What is the maximum number of knights that can be arranged on a chess board such that no knight kills any other knight?

Can you show the arrangement?

Good question Mariyam. Wasn't able to solve but looked it up. Hint: it has got to do with the color of the squares which the knight attacks when placed on any square.

Screenshot-20210325-115446.png

In past week, was able to reach 199x atleast 4 times....but everytime I drop 30-40 points from there....win/loss ratio against 2000+ players is better than 1, but players in 1960-1990 range are proving to be my nemesis for now. Anyways I think, my current level will only get me max 2050-2100 for now.

9 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@randomGuy

What kind of time control is rapid?

Would a 2050-2100 make you a titled player?

10+0 time control. For lower ratings, I think lichess ratings are jacked up. But over 2000, maybe it roughly reflects the fide classical rating (which is what players track) , although I am not sure.

I am not sure Mariyam about being a titled player. I am not interested in being a CM FM either, if I ever cross 2300 (very small chance of this happening, due to busy schedule, lack of motivation and maybe lack of talent and age factor - started very late, only during lockdown), I will think about registering with Fide to try for IM title (there are arnd 2000 active players in the world rated above 2400) . But as of now, I don't see this happening.

Edited by randomGuy

Reached 2000 rapid (actually 1 month back) but not able to advance....win-loss ratio has suffered. 2000 is arnd 92%ile of the weekly active players...2150 rating is 98%ile....which means from the remaining 8% (from 92%ile to 100%ile) players I will have to cross 75% of them to reach 98%ile (2150 rating) ...tall ask..

My Puzzle rating got to 2450 (back to 2370 after dropping 80 points) last week which is a pleasing thing... most of the titled players on lichess have Puzzle rating 2400-2800.

Screenshot-20210504-174355.png

Got to 2030 rating. But rating is not the point of this post. All this while I had been using Bird's opening (1.f4) with white. It had limitations I thought. Wanted a more solid opening. So, tried London system (thinking that it has less theory) ...but some openings work for some people and other openings for others. On 14th May played 11 games(London system with white) , lost all ...then tried King's indian attack, results immediate. Rating up. Point is that London system isn't bad but it's not for me. Gokesh D, Indias youngest GM became GM just by playing king's Indian attack btw. It's a good opening.

Screenshot-20210519-072753.png

1. c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e6 3. e4 { A18 English Opening: Mikenas-Carls Variation } d6 4. g3 Nc6 5. Bg2 Be7 6. Nge2 a6 7. d3 Bd7 8. O-O h5 9. h4 Ne5 10. f3 Nh7 11. Be3 g5 12. hxg5 Bxg5 13. Bxg5 Nxg5 14. f4 Ng4 15. fxg5 Ne3 16. Qd2 Nxf1 17. Rxf1 h4 18. Qf4 Qe7 19. gxh4 e5 20. Qg3 O-O-O 21. Nd5 Qf8 22. Nf6 Qe7 23. Nc3 c6 24. Na4 Kc7 25. Nc3 Qf8 26. a4 a5 27. Na2 c5 28. b3 Kb6 29. Nc3 Bc6 30. Bh3 Qe7 31. Ncd5+ { Black resigns. } 1-0

a0EhVGJzMFNtQ1pSb3c1UWZvOTBnbVdPbHQ2WmVn

Had been looking into various openings with white. English opening - very solid. Was looking to employ the Botvinnik system which I was allowed to. Opponent was 2130 rated, ~90 points above me. Was able to convincingly beat him. 

Edited by randomGuy

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

^ pardon my ignorance, but,

Why did he quit?

He could play on. Was ahead on material too, kind of.

Mariyam, In the end , knight was forking his king and queen...if his bishop takes knight, then my other knight takes its place to fork again...so he resigned.

Edit: such knight sitting at outposts(created by pawns normally) in enemy territory are worth gold.

Edited by randomGuy

26 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

^ yup. That queen e7 move was a blunder.

Right, although I was winning after 10-12 moves and with +7 even before the queen to e7....after which the advantage became +14 from +7... primarily because of the position (not because of the material difference), he had no play and piece his movement had been restricted after first 12 moves.

Croatia GCT rapid/blitz saw Kasparov's comeback to rated tourneys. He played only blitz section and performed terribly (2.5/18), Saric played the rapid portion as wildcard. 

Kasparov lost both his games against Vishy without much resistance, pity he was so out of form/confidence, Father Time still undefeated. Vishy going to turn 52 this year, let us see how long he can hang with the elite. Think Harikrishna/Vidit will fade away before him and Nihal/Gukesh/Prag/Arjun will fight to become the next Indian #1. 

Edited by Gollum

First OTB meeting of Kasparov-Anand, before most of us were born. 

That year Anand would go on to win Reggio Emilia (<5 years since becoming India's first GM) ahead of Kasparov, Karpov, Ivanchuk, Khalifman, Gelfand etc (strongest super tournament at that time in chess history), announcing India's arrival on the world stage of chess. 

Also qualified to the Candidates in that cycle narrowly losing to Karpov...KO match format back then like Kazan 2011 Candidates (most recent one to adopt that format). Around that time there were talks of Bobby Fischer's official comeback, he wanted to play either Anand or Kasparov, settled in on Anand and venue was to be Delhi. However that match didn't come to fruition and he played Spassky in a rematch of 1972 WCC. 

Next Candidates Anand won, beating Kamsky in the final and earning the right to challenge Kasparov in the 1995 World Chess Championship, venue being Observation Deck of South Tower, World Trade Centre. Kramnik was Kasparov's second (and protege from Botvinik-Kasparov Soviet School of Chess) in that match. World was a different place back then!!!!!

Edited by Gollum