US open 2020

Cricketics

And Thiem wins. The match was a mugfest of the highest order. I only saw the last two sets, but neither of them deserved to win for the level they showed. Zverev was actually the better one for the first set and a half. Once he realised he might actually win, classic Slamrev and DFrev came in to the picture and still Thiem had difficulty in capitalising.

46 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

And Thiem wins. The match was a mugfest of the highest order. I only saw the last two sets, but neither of them deserved to win for the level they showed. Zverev was actually the better one for the first set and a half. Once he realised he might actually win, classic Slamrev and DFrev came in to the picture and still Thiem had difficulty in capitalising.

Thiem played lack luster Tennis in the first half and hence last the two sets. Then once he upped the energy he won the next two sets. In the end, the horror memories of having lost 3 slam finals and nerves started showing up for Thiem and he could not close our eaily. But in the end he did after getting a mini break.

All in all he deserved it in the end but struggled to close it out. There were glimpses of his great performance which we saw all of the last two weeks, and that is eventually what got him mini breaks at crucial points. 

Hopefully this will make Thiem a better player sinc3 the monkey of his back is gone and that he is a grandslam winner finally. If you have zero slams, you struggle more against the big 3 in big moments. That should change for Thiem.

He will play against them with more aggression from here on.

The confidence which he will take from this win will be immense now. There will be a sense of belonging now for him after this big win and will improve his mindset during those crucial exchanges against Nadal in a 5 setter. He has beaten Nadal on clay in 3 setter in Madrid, which is Nadal’s den. But beating him on clay in a 5 setter requires a different mindset level. Thiem will have better mindset now to tackle Nadal than ever before.A grandslam under your name can do wonders. Murray and Wawrinka are examples.

Hoping for an exciting and unconventional chilly Roland Garros. 

My eyes are still bleeding. Zverev with his WTA second serves and Thiem's return position, the trauma is too deep. So much comedy, dunno where to begin. Rest assured, big 3 will continue to win in their 40s. 

Edited by Gollum