Indian batsmen must develop sweep and reverse sweep game

Gollum

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yea the 130 + i think but that was just 1 off

no one will take u srsly with one of innings, even corey anderson had that

the guy has messed up chasing around 10 in lst over twice that to once against shankar, it has been a struggle for him only in international in lower  middle 

hopefully this IPL gives him confidence like it helped watson 

Disagree with that. I have seen the potential when he played Big Bash. You may have not expected him to do well though but it isn't unexpected to me atleast.

Sweep / reverse sweep are by nature played with a cross bat and one hits across the line of attack. Never saw much of that shot from classical batsman like RD or VVS and yet they managed decent s/r. Its better to learn to use one's feet for spin than playing these shots fraught with risk 

Sweep/reverse are shots which are played when you can trust the bounce of the pitch. Indian pitches are notorious for inconsistent bounce, so batsmen here are more used to using their feet and depth of crease against spin. Sweep is not natural shot to many sub continent players.Indian batsmen on this team other than Mayank who looked very competent player against Lyon are weak against spin.Even Puajara had his issues with Lyon.

Same with with hook and pull shots , growing up these batsmen don't face bowlers who have the pace and bounce on the Indian pitches. It is not a natural shot to them.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Sweep/reverse are shots which are played when you can trust the bounce of the pitch. Indian pitches are notorious for inconsistent bounce, so batsmen here are more used to using their feet and depth of crease against spin. Sweep is not natural shot to many sub continent players.Indian batsmen on this team other than Mayank who looked very competent player against Lyon are weak against spin.Even Puajara had his issues with Lyon.

Ok but T20/ODI pitches have consistent bounce, our players must develop the skills.

Even in tests many visiting batsmen have found success with these 2 shots (either 1 or both) in India: Gatting, Gooch, Flower, Hayden, Cook, Kallis, Younis, ABDV, Steve Waugh, Misbah, Mahela, Dilshan, Root, Mushi....so I question our intent. 

Same with with hook and pull shots , growing up these batsmen don't face bowlers who have the pace and bounce on the Indian pitches. It is not a natural shot to them.

That's the challenge, isn't it, our players need to develop a more wide array of shots. To become better versions of themselves. Look at Poms' batting and their quest for innovation. And honestly these 2 shots aren't as radical or low % anymore, unlike say switch hit or Dilscoop. 

Edited by Gollum
24 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Ok but T20/ODI pitches have consistent bounce, our players must develop the skills.

Even in tests many visiting batsmen have found success with these 2 shots (either 1 or both) in India: Gatting, Gooch, Flower, Hayden, Cook, Kallis, Younis, ABDV, Steve Waugh, Misbah, Mahela, Dilshan, Root, Mushi....so I question our intent. 

That's the challenge, isn't it, our players need to develop a more wide array of shots. To become better versions of themselves. Look at Poms' batting and their quest for innovation. And honestly these 2 shots aren't as radical or low % anymore, unlike say switch hit or Dilscoop. 

Who says they don't play it more than all other Asian players you have mentioned. Kohli is one who does not play that shot that much, others do play that shot. Yes it is quest for improvement for every player and they are doing it but it might not be to level of others.

England's batting is rare, they were playing for broke everytime and made pitches deliberately flat initially till they got confidence and they somehow suceeded .It gave them the confidence to go for their shots.We have seen what Rahul has become this season after experiencing failure.

In tests Indians don't rely on sweep shot at home , they could have used that shot against Lyon in Australia. 

How Dhawan has 'swept' to glory?

There are many things Shikhar Dhawan did on Tuesday that were much better, much smarter than his team-mates. Among them is a shot that fetched him many, many runs. A shot that Dhawan has utilised to maximum effect to accelerate and dominate the spinners in particular.

That shot is the sweep - conventional, slog and paddle. Overall this IPL, nobody has scored more runs off the sweep than Dhawan - 82 off 27 balls at a stunning strike rate of nearly 304. He attacked the Kings XI's legspin pair of M Ashwin and Ravi Bishnoi as well Glenn Maxwell's offbreaks with the sweep, blasting 27 runs from just seven balls.

renderTimingPixel.png

Pant and Root for the last month or so, Rohit on day 1, Ashwin today. Brilliant exhibition of the sweep shot, such a useful weapon to have. Even reverse sweep is so good since against incoming deliveries it is common to have a huge gap open between slip and point or sweeper cover.. And with proper shot selection impact will almost always be outside the line of the stumps, don't have to worry about LBW.  

Granted Root, Pant, Rohit are batsmen of the highest class. But look at #8 Ashwin who isn't much of a sweeper, more in the VVS mould. If he can develop this shot no reason why our frontline batsman can't. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

And with proper shot selection impact will almost always be outside the line of the stumps, don't have to worry about LBW

Gavaskar was talking about this without getting into details lol.. but Root already does it its just that other English men don't have the skill yet to do it. I dont recall bairstow he does I guess. Kevin pietersen started it for them. 

Sweep /Reverse sweep will become even more important in short format too (esp 50 overs) going forward .

If we analyse our performance vs Aus , we have played their pacers better in 50 overs but falter against their spinners (esp) vs Zampa  ans also Agar.

Since most of our batsmen do not sweep much , they bowl mostly towards leg stump and pack the onside and our batsmen have got out playing in the air down the ground or  mid wicket region. 

One can see this in the last 3 short formatb series played against Aus.

If the batsmen master the sweep , you can break the filed position as well as their  bowling plan and that will open up middle overs for us   BIG time .

Ohh, I love watching games but I am not that keen on the details and strategies that each team uses. This was an amazing observation that I have never noticed before But, I do agree that the sweep or reverse sweep style will really work best for ODIs unlike with other formats of the game.

Ohh, I love watching games but I am not that keen on the details and strategies that each team uses. This was an amazing observation that I have never noticed before But, I do agree that the sweep or reverse sweep style will really work best for ODIs unlike with other formats of the game.

2 years gone by since creation of this thread. Where we at? Must develop some release shots against spinners....Santner, Sodhi, Zampa, Maharaj, Shamsi, Moeen, Rashid, Shadab, Nawaz, Hasaranga etc. have been bullying us non-stop in middle overs. Key area where we are surrendering huge advantages practically every match. Opponent spinners vs our bats, Chahal/Jaddu/XYZ vs opponent batters....don't see it tilting in our favor any time soon. 

Kohli is finally trying slog sweep, conventional sweep. His reverse sweep attempt looked clumsy though. So contrived and out of place. Rohit at times plays conventional sweep well.  Pant plays. Nobody can be called a master of sweep shots. Nowadays there are more darters. So sweeping can be risky against darters.  Getting to the pitch of the ball is always less risky. Just that you don't give it away too early.

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

2 years gone by since creation of this thread. Where we at? Must develop some release shots against spinners....Santner, Sodhi, Zampa, Maharaj, Shamsi, Moeen, Rashid, Shadab, Nawaz, Hasaranga etc. have been bullying us non-stop in middle overs. Key area where we are surrendering huge advantages practically every match. Opponent spinners vs our bats, Chahal/Jaddu/XYZ vs opponent batters....don't see it tilting in our favor any time soon. 

• kohli did and execution was quite good
  • SKY tried few but never got his timing going so his execution was off
  • Pant tried one which was the worst execution i have seen in a while 

One of the reasons its lil easy to hit chahal as compare others leggies is his pace

Jaddu has always been a very predictable bowler so always easy to lineup