Who is one current Indian cricketer that you want to see have a very successful career by the time he retires?

SecondSlip

Some all rounder who will do better than Kapil, a wicket keeper batsman who will do better than Dhoni, and a leg spinner who does better than the previous best we had. That is where I see a gap in past and near future. In batsmen there is no worry for India, somebody keeps maintaining the benchmarks or exceeding them.

Last match Dev played. - 19 Oct 1994. 

26 years and no replacement in sight who can do better than him.

Last match Dhoni played - 9 July 2019.

Have to say that Dhoni may still play, we never know. Jokes apart, it will be tough to find a equally capable wicket keeper batsman in Test and ODI.  Rishabh Pant is a hope who will have to step up and continue the legacy . Hope he does.

Last match Kumble played - 29 Oct 2008..

12 years and all we have so far is Chahal. But even he hasn't made a test debut. When will we find Kumble's replacement considering so much of time gap. The other leggies are not even experienced in LOI formats.

Luckily Ashwin and Jadeja in tests are there who filled the spin replacement trend. But no leg spinner in tests yet.

Batsmen - Sunny retired but then we had Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag.  Quickly Chet in tests and Kohli in all formats. Replacements are coming quickly without gaps in batting only. At least we are doing great in that skillset. One less headache.

So one name I can take is Rishabh Pant. Also 22 so has plenty of cricketing career left. He has made debut in all formats and looks most likely to continue legacy. Otherwise I don't see another specific replacements who have played and did well at international level to replace legends.

Edited by Straight Drive

Anyone who's answer is not Bumrah didn't think much before posting.
We always had great batsman in our lineup,yes these days our test lineup is not that good but the upcoming talent is just too good.Shaw,gill,Jaiswal will make our batting line-up great but what we need is an atg fast bowler and if bumrah performs the way he has done uptil now we will surely win at least one test series in all 4 SENA Countries by the time he retires

Sent from my RMX1992 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Adamant said:

Anyone who's answer is not Bumrah didn't think much before posting.
We always had great batsman in our lineup,yes these days our test lineup is not that good but the upcoming talent is just too good.Shaw,gill,Jaiswal will make our batting line-up great but what we need is an atg fast bowler and if bumrah performs the way he has done uptil now we will surely win at least one test series in all 4 SENA Countries by the time he retires

Sent from my RMX1992 using Tapatalk

It asked whom do you "want to see succeed the most"?  Not "whose success would benefit Indian team the most?"

The want can be for a variety of reasons - they just are a fan of one of them, one of them is from their state or IPL team, they're related to one of them, they're jigri dosts with one of them ... who knows?

Just being a smart-a$$ devil's advocate here is all ... 

Keeping probability of team win factor in mind , players who can contribute in 2 -3 areas should reach level  of good international class/ quality  wrist spinners who are difficult read , then the whole dynamics of team strength changes dramatically . Without fit Stokes in England team, their team not the same. 

From Short Format point of view , my wish would be 

1. Hardik - becomes a true allrounder like stokes . ( power hitter , pace all rounder & Very good fielder)

2. Kamlesh Nagarkoti - ( fast bowler - can be a very good death bowler too , great fielder  but should be become a good batsman which he is not yet).

3. Ravi Bishnoi - develops further with more variation and becomes difficult to read . Looks like has > 50% of the game ready .

4. Pant - ( Power hitter , X factor , Keeper , Leftie) - Should become more consistent in Batting & Keeping and reach  near to Gilly , buttler level 

5. One more very good -pace bowler of International class  - Not  sure who . But punt on Prasidh.