SecondSlip

Who is one current Indian cricketer that you want to see have a very successful career by the time he retires?

For me, It’s Hardik Pandya!

I really hope and wish that Hardik has a stellar career for Team India by the time he hangs up his boots! 

Team India has gotten a pace-bowling allrounder after such a long time. These types of cricketers are extremely rare to find in India! Our last successful one was Kapil Dev! 

Hardik having a stellar career will inspire so many young boys to become his biggest fans and try to emulate him. We will literally have an army of pace-bowling allrounders coming through, similar to how we have it with our batting options! 

We have already seen the impact on our next-gen wicketkeepers after seeing Dhoni have a successful career. Now we have gifted hitters like Rahul, Pant, Samson and Kishan fighting for a spot as the team wicketkeeper all because they grew up watching Dhoni a great career and wanting to emulate him! 

So once again, I really pray for Hardik’s success because it will be extremely helpful and beneficial for indian cricket’s future! Hardik is a gem that all of us in this group should be supporting and backing. 

Instead of kids saying “I want to be the next Kohli” or “I want to be the next Rohit”, our young boys will say “Sir, I want to be the next Hardik Pandya!” 

:isalute: 

Just now, cricketfan28 said:

Kohli , i hope he wins t20 worldcup

Pandya bros , i like them very much, not sure if krunal will ever make it to the ODI side.

Pant and Iyer. Future will be good if they succeed.

Don't complain about multiple answers, the answers are in the most wished to least wished order.

Asking for just one makes this impossible to answer.  

I wish that for every freakkin one of them who makes it to the team. 

Every one of them:

• will have rocking careers for 8-12 years
  • lead their categories in meaningful stats like averages, strike rates, wins and championships
  • retire gracefully without chasing meaningless records like total runs, total number of centuries or total wickets, and
  • pave the way for the next group. 

Which will translate into unprecedented success for the team for a long time to come.  

Some all rounder who will do better than Kapil, a wicket keeper batsman who will do better than Dhoni, and a leg spinner who does better than the previous best we had. That is where I see a gap in past and near future. In batsmen there is no worry for India, somebody keeps maintaining the benchmarks or exceeding them.

Last match Dev played. - 19 Oct 1994. 

26 years and no replacement in sight who can do better than him.

Last match Dhoni played - 9 July 2019.

Have to say that Dhoni may still play, we never know. Jokes apart, it will be tough to find a equally capable wicket keeper batsman in Test and ODI.  Rishabh Pant is a hope who will have to step up and continue the legacy . Hope he does.

Last match Kumble played - 29 Oct 2008..

12 years and all we have so far is Chahal. But even he hasn't made a test debut. When will we find Kumble's replacement considering so much of time gap. The other leggies are not even experienced in LOI formats.

Luckily Ashwin and Jadeja in tests are there who filled the spin replacement trend. But no leg spinner in tests yet.

Batsmen - Sunny retired but then we had Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag.  Quickly Chet in tests and Kohli in all formats. Replacements are coming quickly without gaps in batting only. At least we are doing great in that skillset. One less headache.

So one name I can take is Rishabh Pant. Also 22 so has plenty of cricketing career left. He has made debut in all formats and looks most likely to continue legacy. Otherwise I don't see another specific replacements who have played and did well at international level to replace legends.

Edited by Straight Drive

Anyone who's answer is not Bumrah didn't think much before posting.
We always had great batsman in our lineup,yes these days our test lineup is not that good but the upcoming talent is just too good.Shaw,gill,Jaiswal will make our batting line-up great but what we need is an atg fast bowler and if bumrah performs the way he has done uptil now we will surely win at least one test series in all 4 SENA Countries by the time he retires

Sent from my RMX1992 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Adamant said:

Anyone who's answer is not Bumrah didn't think much before posting.
We always had great batsman in our lineup,yes these days our test lineup is not that good but the upcoming talent is just too good.Shaw,gill,Jaiswal will make our batting line-up great but what we need is an atg fast bowler and if bumrah performs the way he has done uptil now we will surely win at least one test series in all 4 SENA Countries by the time he retires

Sent from my RMX1992 using Tapatalk

It asked whom do you "want to see succeed the most"?  Not "whose success would benefit Indian team the most?"

The want can be for a variety of reasons - they just are a fan of one of them, one of them is from their state or IPL team, they're related to one of them, they're jigri dosts with one of them ... who knows?

Just being a smart-a$$ devil's advocate here is all ... 

Keeping probability of team win factor in mind , players who can contribute in 2 -3 areas should reach level  of good international class/ quality  wrist spinners who are difficult read , then the whole dynamics of team strength changes dramatically . Without fit Stokes in England team, their team not the same. 

From Short Format point of view , my wish would be 

1. Hardik - becomes a true allrounder like stokes . ( power hitter , pace all rounder & Very good fielder)

2. Kamlesh Nagarkoti - ( fast bowler - can be a very good death bowler too , great fielder  but should be become a good batsman which he is not yet).

3. Ravi Bishnoi - develops further with more variation and becomes difficult to read . Looks like has > 50% of the game ready .

4. Pant - ( Power hitter , X factor , Keeper , Leftie) - Should become more consistent in Batting & Keeping and reach  near to Gilly , buttler level 

5. One more very good -pace bowler of International class  - Not  sure who . But punt on Prasidh.