Dravida bug spreading in Bengaluru

coffee_rules

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If you claim that, then I say, Dosa, Idli is all  from Davangere area. Also, filter coffee originated from Karnataka, we call it Kalgacchu, a concoction of coffee, milk, and jaggery. BTW, Sambar was first cooked by a Maratha cook who came along with Sambaji and it was attributed to the king, son of Shivaji.

you take dosa , Uthappam and idli .. :rcb:

but idiappam , Raagi ball and kooll ( or koozh) came from our area only :yess: 

Even now if we want to prepare mysorepa and other milk sweets in bulk , we call pandaram ( temple priest ) to our home to prepare ..

probably these guys might have passed the recipe everywhere or been employed in Mysore palace kitchen as well 

1 minute ago, velu said:

you take dosa , Uthappam and idli .. :rcb:

but idiappam , Raagi ball and kooll ( or koozh) came from our area only :yess: 

Even now if we want to prepare mysorepa and other milk sweets in bulk , we call pandaram ( temple priest ) to our home to prepare ..

probably these guys might have passed the recipe everywhere or been employed in Mysore palace kitchen as well 

Those temple priests get trained by our temple prieset maybe :dontknow: Now way iddiappam. Do you know this instrument, it is there is every south Karnataka  trad household. It is to make vathshavige (rice based noodles).

DSC02965.JPG

We can give you idli, there is no basis for ownership in any kannada literature. But masala dosa is a Karnataka dish. You guys invented Sambar to be served with dosa, otherwise it is  from Karnataka. Ok, enough of all this. Will stop here.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Even I had the same experience, there are no good veg restaurants in Mangalore. I remember eating doles of icecream - gadbad. But, no good south Indian food. It is famous for seafood cuisine, I suppose.

Ideals/Pabbas :wp14:

I'm not much into veg Udupi food myself. More into non-veg stuff like ghee roast, kori roti and seafood. For example, I can only eat dosa if it's really fresh. 

35 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Sure, it shoud not be demanded. 

I think the question has always been about what should be the pan-India link language, English or Hindi?

Also, what is the general feeling towards Sanskrit in TN?  

Pan :phehe: India language shoudl be english. British conquered the entire region and introduced english to the masses. nobody knew hindi before that period. I dont want to take it on a tangent that urdu and later hindi made all the north Indian languages apart from Punjabi and Gujarati extinct. Thats the scope for a different discussion.

Also most of the scientific knowledge and subjects are already written in English and it is the most widespread language in the world. As far as white collar jobs are concerned, we have to use it at work. Changing to hindi would be just as useless as changing bombay and madras to mumbai and chennai. Sure we would claim bragging rights but if we really want to outgrow the colonial inferiority complex, accepting english is the way to go. English itself is a germanic language with latin influence from the Roman and Norman invasion (latin via french). England didn't go we have to be patriotic and remove all latin influence from English.

Likewise, it would be practical to use english rather than make hindi as the link language just for the heck of it. Also if south indians are learning 3 languages namely mother tongue, English and hindi, then you have to question what the naarthies are learning. If they are just learning Hindi, then its not fair that these students just learn one language and our students have to learn one extra language. This is what gives them the right to tell others "hindi mein baat kar" that too with an attitude.

Regarding Sanskrit, its mainly used in temples only brahmins use it. so we are coming back to the topic here :laugh:. dravidian movement has put brahmins and sanksrit in an unfavorable position. There may have been some mistreatment from brahmins towards the lower class in the past and its not a one way street. the lower class also tease the brahmins as tahir (not imran tahir :p:) sadam meaning curd rice. Dravidian movement capitalized on this divide and made it a wedge between the classes. Tam Brams either go to other parts of India or go abroad. If there is a group who is the most intellectually talented in India but are grossly underrepresented not represented at all, its the tambrams. And its a sad end for India that this brain drain is real

21 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

A valid point but only one side of the argument.

What about the migrant labor force from the West, North and Eastern parts that move to the South and take up daily wage jobs? Most of these people have limited to zero English proficiency. We are taking about lakhs of people.

I agree, Hindi should not be enforced. But it can't be neglected altogether. Need to strike a balance. 

People strike a balance. it happens naturally. There are bhaiyyas and NE workers working in small towns in TN. The locals don't even speak English. How do these people manage then. When there is work to be had, humans have a habit of accustoming to the environment and learn the local tongue. Likewise, these labourers will introduce hindi to their employers and customers. Whenever something is forced, it has the opposite effect on people and they turn hostile to the outsiders

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Those temple priests get trained by our temple prieset maybe :dontknow: Now way iddiappam. Do you know this instrument, it is there is every south Karnataka  trad household. It is to make vathshavige (rice based noodles).

DSC02965.JPG

We can give you idli, there is no basis for ownership in any kannada literature. But masala dosa is a Karnataka dish. You guys invented Sambar to be served with dosa, otherwise it is  from Karnataka. Ok, enough of all this. Will stop here.

We have that device at home...

Most priests in temples with a South Indian flavor in USA have priests who speak fluent Telugu and Tamil both. I think they come

from Chitoor district surrounding Tirupati.

Usually North Indian priests have a certain flavor to the way the chant mantras which we are used to like in Varnasi,Vaishno Devi and then the ones in temples in TN and Andhra sound similar.

For some reason I felt Kannada priests have a different way of enunciating mantras from only 1 sample size though, not sure about Kerala though even though they have a rich tradition of priesthood as well.

I would think the Kannada priests are no different from the ones we see in temples in Andhra/Telangana and TN

1 hour ago, velu said:

it’s origin is Coimbatore .. 

Cbe was with Mysore kingdom till then ,  so got the  name  Mysore pak 

Yes mysore pak was invented in coimbatore by coimbatore gounders and your great grandpa is the one who invented the brick shape of the recent mysore pak. Before that it was oblate spheroid in shape. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Most priests in temples with a South Indian flavor in USA have priests who speak fluent Telugu and Tamil both. I think they come

from Chitoor district surrounding Tirupati.

Usually North Indian priests have a certain flavor to the way the chant mantras which we are used to like in Varnasi,Vaishno Devi and then the ones in temples in TN and Andhra sound similar.

For some reason I felt Kannada priests have a different way of enunciating mantras from only 1 sample size though, not sure about Kerala though even though they have a rich tradition of priesthood as well.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I would think the Kannada priests are no different from the ones we see in temples in Andhra/Telangana and TN

Not seen any differences, they all kill original Sanskrit pronunciation of words. It is Shivai namaha, vishnuve namaha - these people 

have made it - Shivayen maha, Vishnuyen maha.  Which actually means what is so great about Shiva/Vishnu? 

21 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

He also met Jinnah and proposed support for his Independent Madras state out of Indian union. Jinnah used him like a useful Idiot, when ML won all the Muslim MPs in the 1946 elections in the Madras Presidency. Even those people wanted Pakistan to be created. Anna Durai broke away from EVR because of his seccesionist movement and also because he married controversially. This rational movement of DK/EVR is all a hogwash to ploarize people for power. 

Whenever I see rational and scientific in news these days ( i try not to follow news at all but these words somehow make it to my eyes), i see leftie marxist scumbag. I'm not against actual science, but the term scientific and rational has been taken over by people who don't follow religion, god, traditional culture, any form of decency. Does it sound like someone in this forum. They want to make culture null and void :phehe:

Even the muslims dont like them for their lack of religiosity and manners. If some radical muslims take over with their ghazwa, they will be the first to be beheaded whereas people from other religions will be taxed and be given dhimmi status which is not that great but better than beheading

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

@velu apart from Saravana bhawan for breakfast, the best food in Chennai is Andhra mess :proud:

hyderabadi biriyani :yum:

never seen a saravana bhawan in my life :(( 

whatever idly + vada costs 150rs is lolworthy .. idly is a comfort food , not a designer food  :lol: 

28 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

DSC02965.JPG

our idiappam maker :giggle:

we call this dish as sandavai .. we eat it with panchamirtham ( jaggery + mashed ripe banana )  instead of coconut milk in our area 

sandhagai-20-of-43.jpg?resize=550,830&ss

idiyappam_L.jpg

palani-panchamirtham.jpg