Sign in to follow this  
Real McCoy

Traditional oils vs synthetic oils in cooking

This is my experience seeing the transformation from traditional oils to synthetic oils such as sunflower oil, safflower oil etc while growing up. In Chennai even in my childhood, my mom used these oils and used sesame oil, coconut oil(not parachute :laugh: )were used on special occasions as they were costly. My aunt lived in Kanchipuram and when I go there for summer breaks, there were push carts that sold sesame and peanut oils according to quantity. That was supposed to be a new thing for them.

In earlier days, they had sesame seeds and peanuts and would grind them with a special hand operated device. That was considered to be laborious and some shops opened up where they had those devices and now they have special machines that could do it in a few minutes. It is available in Chennai also these days with consumer awareness picking up. The food always tasted better in Kanchi than Chennai

The synthetic oils were cheaper so people who were interested in savings used them. But is it really cheap when you consider the long term side effects it causes. My theory is anything manmade is trash no matter what you call it artificial, synthetic, use of "german" technology :lol: etc. I'm not an expert in economics but if people use a certain product more and more, it will become cheaper in the long run. Even if it is not cheap, it will prolong your life and live a disease free life. So why are these  synthetic oils cheaper. That's because they are created in a man made environment with no nutrition and also not good long term.

Marketing was created to sell a cheaper product as "german technology" product. What they do is subtly lie in a way that common public will believe it. So those in my extended family who are health conscious get all their ingredients as a whole product and grind them be it oils, turmeric, chilli powder, etc. Another thing I observed in the peta sponsored jallikattu ban is that peta itself sold milk at a premium when they were supposed to be vegans that don't consume milk. They have an agenda and we must resist such ideas being pushed and follow our own traditions. This may not be feasible to those living abroad but those who live in India must do something about it. Things are improving I must say. I use country sugar (brown) at home and its also available in saravana bhavan and some hotels.

There are two factors that must be followed. One - Don't ape the west. We need to get inferiority complex vis-a-vis the west out of the way and think clearly and follow traditions. Two - Don't believe marketing. They are paid huge sums not because they have your well being in their heart. They are here to promote something and in this case it may not be suitable for you.

@maniac @velu @Gollum @coffee_rules @Jimmy Cliff @Norman

in our home we always used and still use peanut oil ( +rarely coconut oil for few food items ) ..

15/20 years back many families started using refined oil ( i think sunflower and palm oil ) and was heavily marketed as the healthier options vs peanut oil ( badmouthed as bad for health )  ..

funnily now groundnut oil is again getting popular as the healthier option and people .. :lol: 

same thing with butter .. people replaced ghee with vanaspathi/dalda  

3 minutes ago, velu said:

in our home we always used and still use peanut oil ( +rarely coconut oil for few food items ) ..

15/20 years back many families started using refined oil ( i think sunflower and palm oil ) and was heavily marketed as the healthier options vs peanut oil ( badmouthed as bad for health )  ..

funnily now groundnut oil is again getting popular as the healthier option and people .. :lol: 

same thing with butter .. people replaced ghee with vanaspathi/dalda  

Ya I remember. those evil bast@rds. I failed to mention that in the OP. Yeah it was usually peanut oil for day to day cooking and sesame oil for special items like sweets and savories. dalda is :facepalm: my mom had this thing with dalda. she will complain when cooking itself. i was like if you dont want to use it use something else or leave it off. she would say it woudl add taste :rolleyes: marketing ads were in my moms brain

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Ya I remember. those evil bast@rds. I failed to mention that in the OP. Yeah it was usually peanut oil for day to day cooking and sesame oil for special items like sweets and savories. dalda is :facepalm: my mom had this thing with dalda. she will complain when cooking itself. i was like if you dont want to use it use something else or leave it off. she would say it woudl add taste :rolleyes: marketing ads were in my moms brain

my mom was 100% anti Dalda she would avoid it like a rash..i remember it was a craze for chips and savories.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

You mean jaggery ? 

Like vilander said, it is unrefined sugar. refined sugar is man made in the industry and it is toxic in the long run. I was discussing oil with maniac but I guess we can discuss other things as well. like coffee said, ghee is key in our diet. Its not just about staying fit, but it also improves brain so that we don't fall for these marketing tricks :phehe:

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

There are other varieties of sugar or natural sweeteners. jaggery, palm jaggery which is from the palm tree, and some other things I forget

brown sugar is different from jaggery .. brown sugar is little bit more refined than jaggery 

palm jaggery is called karupatti .. probably better than sugarcane jaggery as well

palm candy is even more healtheir version of karupatti 

17 minutes ago, Norman said:

A bit unrelated but I heard that the "refined" salt we get causes bone marrow cancer. 

Did the mistake of telling my mom that and she's punishing me with the pheeki sambar since then..:((

There is sea salt as an option you can use. we call it kalluppu roughly translated as rock salt. its not fine particles like refined salt. Anything refined is man made and comes using industry chemicals. Some people think Iodine in salt is a good thing. Why dont they eat iodine then. You should ask your mom to talk to elderly relatives from the country and ask them what salt they used. City people have the arrogance that they are somehow smarter than the country folks when the reverse is true.

11 minutes ago, velu said:

brown sugar is different from jaggery .. brown sugar is little bit more refined than jaggery 

palm jaggery is called karupatti .. probably better than sugarcane jaggery as well

palm candy is even more healtheir version of karupatti 

You're preaching to the choir here. I know the diff between jaggery and brown sugar called naatu sarkarai. karupatti also goes by the name panavellam right. What is the tamil word for palm candy. Heard it somewhere but cant remember.

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You're preaching to the choir here. I know the diff between jaggery and brown sugar called naatu sarkarai. karupatti also goes by the name panavellam right. What is the tamil word for palm candy. Heard it somewhere but cant remember.

panang kalkandu .. damn it :bike:

2 hours ago, Norman said:

A bit unrelated but I heard that the "refined" salt we get causes bone marrow cancer. 

Did the mistake of telling my mom that and she's punishing me with the pheeki sambar since then..:((

anything refined is processed. Sugar and rice esp seem to get much more negative reviews related to refinement or polishing etc.

There was this video that i saw abt hugh jackmans diet mantra.. His fitness trainer talks about getting as much nutrients as possible before a human touches it in anyway. Basic idea is any industrial processing makes the food toxic the whole organic industry is built on this.

With unrefined sugar i wash it a bit or remove husk etc before use. But we have ditched sugar or sweeteners from coffee altogether. Rice and wheat.. God rice is the death of me. Qunioa in taste cant even hold a candle to lowest tasting low glycimic brown rice or wheat..no need to bring in jasmin rice or basmati etc. But somehow supposed to eat quinoa, how i dont know.

I found pandan leaves and now make tolerable quinoa to be rice replacement once in a blue moon.

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

With unrefined sugar i wash it a bit or remove husk etc before use. But we have ditched sugar or sweeteners from coffee altogether. Rice and wheat.. God rice is the death of me. Qunioa in taste cant even hold a candle to lowest tasting low glycimic brown rice or wheat..no need to bring in jasmin rice or basmati etc. But somehow supposed to eat quinoa, how i dont know.

I found pandan leaves and now make tolerable quinoa to be rice replacement once in a blue moon.

I cook quinoa in a cooker and make biryani/upma/bisi bele baath with regular ingredients and masala. Quinoa powder mixed with rava, wheat germ and little jowar/maida to make regular Dosa. Doesn’t taste as much, but still much much better than eating plain or sambar

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

I cook quinoa in a cooker and make biryani/upma/bisi bele baath with regular ingredients and masala. Quinoa powder mixed with rava, wheat germ and little jowar/maida to make regular Dosa. Doesn’t taste as much, but still much much better than eating plain or sambar

Tried some of that..i settled in the below.

Cook quinoa with pandan leaves for the aroma. 

And eat with chetinad style fish curry ( salmon and lots of tamarind and garlic) lol.. I cook as wife is veg.

Thats the only way i can stand quinoa.

But will try dosai with quinoa. 

The key to a long, healthy life with strong immune system to prevent Coronavirus is simple.  Do this daily, twice a day if possible.

- 1 glass of milk strictly from Alambadi or Malnad cow.

- Add 4 tablespoons of pure manjal chaandu (turmeric paste, preferably from turmeric grown in Vaniyambadi)

- Add 2 tablespoons of palm sugar (it has a lot of Calcium - as much as half a glass of milk).

- Add 3 teaspoons of methi powder (methi is a superfood with phytochemicals, anti-cancer, anti-TB, anti-corona properties)

- Add 1 teaspoon of pure camphor (camphor wards off viruses and bacterias, and some fungi too)

- Warm in copper vessel on coal stove (stainless steel, LPG and microwave are Western conspiracies)

- Pour into brass glass, hold with a cloth made of Tiruppur cotton and slurp slowly.  Slow drinking helps boost the immune system.

Here is an article that proves beyond a shred of doubt that this works.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

@BacktoCricaddict jokes apart, give your serious response. I think you are qualified in this field. My doc asked me to switch to canola from olive oil! 

Western doctor or Indian doctor?  

BTW, qualifications count for nothing.  Research is over-rated.  Just trust the instincts and traditions that were passed on by people whose life expectancy was 30, and you will live to be 120.    

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Western

Probably paid off by GMO and pharma companies.  

Seriously though, there's really not much to choose between canola oil and olive oil.  Both are rich in MUFA, but canola is richer in alpha-linolenic (a type of PUFA that is associated with better heart health).

Bottom line:  If you're only using for sauteeing and tempering in moderation, either one is fine.  

14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Yeah, no company is sponsoring this guy.  He is just doing it from the goodness of his heart.  

He is pushing Sadhguru and Pathanjali products. But some look legit.  I have not seen clarified butter stalls in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet

Edited by coffee_rules

I have no choice sadly, stuck with mess/canteen/restaurant food. Only things I myself make are boiled egg, milk, coffee, oats, maggi, jhal muri (mustard oil). So yeah only oil I buy is mustard oil (Fortune). 

Ghar mein my mom was dead against dalda, we never used to buy those pastries/cakes cos they use dalda instead of cream. That and palm oil, strictly no. Not sure of all oils but she would use sunflower, sesame (nalla ennai?), sometimes groundnut (generally avoided cos my dad didn't like its smell). Coconut oil for items like aviyal and dunno some Kerala dishes maybe. None of them pressed, in one of our houses we had a few coconut trees so then we used to press for coconut oil, no longer the case now. Yeah and ghee rocks, the crown jewel of our cuisine. 

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The key to a long, healthy life with strong immune system to prevent Coronavirus is simple.  Do this daily, twice a day if possible.

- 1 glass of milk strictly from Alambadi or Malnad cow.

- Add 4 tablespoons of pure manjal chaandu (turmeric paste, preferably from turmeric grown in Vaniyambadi)

- Add 2 tablespoons of palm sugar (it has a lot of Calcium - as much as half a glass of milk).

- Add 3 teaspoons of methi powder (methi is a superfood with phytochemicals, anti-cancer, anti-TB, anti-corona properties)

- Add 1 teaspoon of pure camphor (camphor wards off viruses and bacterias, and some fungi too)

- Warm in copper vessel on coal stove (stainless steel, LPG and microwave are Western conspiracies)

- Pour into brass glass, hold with a cloth made of Tiruppur cotton and slurp slowly.  Slow drinking helps boost the immune system.

Here is an article that proves beyond a shred of doubt that this works.

serious or trolling ? :hmmm: 

i take lot of turmeric and ginger though ..

methi is venthayam right ? :sick:

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

The article is mocking Indians and their reliance of desi Ayurvedic knowledge of jhadi-booti in these Covid times 

Not mocking Indians, specifically.  It is bringing to light the serious detrimental nature of internet home-remedy medicine that is based on pushing unproven supplements and herbal preparations.  Being that it is an Indian magazine, toxicities from Ayurvedic preaparations was the context.  But this happens everywhere (apple cider vinegar, Gingko extract etc in the US).

One of my biggest issues is the denial by people who practice native medicines (be it Indian, Chinese, Native American ...) that these herbs and supplements are chemicals, too.  Plants are chemical factories.  In low/moderate doses, the chemicals may have some benefit.  In high doses, the same chemicals (yes, turmeric has toxic chemicals, as does methi) can be toxic.  In fact, even in low/moderate doses, they could have side-effects in some people.  Acknowledging this fact seems very challenging for the practitioners. 

On the other hand, FDA approved drugs have a list of side-effects that is longer than the treatment in the advertisements.  That is because they have been tested for efficacy AND toxicity and the data are available, so that if someone takes it and experiences a side-effect, it is actionable.  It causes a misconception that these drugs have all these side-effects, but the natural ones don't, while truly we just don't know because they are not put to rigorous trials.  

If I had a penny for every time I have heard "Oh it's natural ... no side-effects," I would retire in the Caymans today.  

BTW, @coffee_rules, did you see my serious response to the olive vs canola oil question.  Thoughts?  

31 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

If I had a penny for every time I have heard "Oh it's natural ... no side-effects," I would retire in the Caymans today.  

Oh....it is avurvedic....it has no side effects...

Oh ....it is homeopathic....it has no side effects.

Oh ...it is herbal....it has no side effects....

:facepalm:

And what is herbal tea... I thought all teas are plant based...

Back to topic....

I use mustard oil for veggies.

Ghee for rest.

Olive oil for pasta and eggs etc.

Sometimes peanut oil for frying.

No sugar in tea , coffee or nimbu paani  or even cereals.

Only sugar is used for make sweet dishes.

I pick up honey from a honey farmer on way to Dehradun.

People say Jaggery is better than sugar...but if you see jaggery being made ...you won't ever feel like eating it.

They use so much chemical and the kind of filth that floats on top while it is being cooked.:sick:

I saw it being made once...on the outskirts of Meerut....:((

20 hours ago, Vilander said:

How do you wash sugar without it dissolving?  And what do you mean "husk?"  Sugar is not a grain ... where does the husk come from?

3 minutes ago, beetle said:

People say Jaggery is better than sugar...but if you see jaggery being made ...you won't ever feel like eating it.

They use so much chemical and the kind of filth that floats on top while it is being cooked.:sick:

I saw it being made once...on the outskirts of Meerut....:((

Thats why its better to buy these things without brand name and from some reputable local seller nearby. Small manufacturers are motivated by money and add some color similar to that of jaggery like say dirt lol. But big manufacturers add chemicals which are more dangerous. If you see a weird taste, buy from some other store. I'm not gonna argue that jaggery is uncontaminated but if you check refined sugar and how its made, you will start buying these old fashoined items

After this covid crisis, I'm buying from local grocery stores. Earlier I used to buy from supermarkets. During the covid times, they were locked and you could only buy online while these small stores were open because they had no online option. Also its always a good idea to support small business. Otherwise, you will have a situation like in the US where Walmart and some other megachains have a monopoly.

I grew up eating lots of potato chips , fryums ,sago chips etc fried in refined oil. Refined oil was supposed to be good.....atleast not bad. 

Also grew up drinking a lot of Rasna. We always had  lots of rasna stored in rum and whisky bottles at home 

My mom would also make drinks of various colours  made with sugar syrup,food colour and preservatives ....again stored in rum and whisky bottles.

When parents used to go for party....we used to take out dad's finest whisky glasses and had rasna party. :hmm:

No such stuff for my kid. Poor girl missing out on so much fun.

Only fresh juice and fruits for her .

I wonder if some day " some vague research " will peddle the idea that fresh fruits and juices are not so good and refined oil was actually good.....like ghee ,mustard oil and coconut oil have gone through the bad phase only be born again healthy.

There is too much money involved in the food industry ....too many half truths and convenient lies beilg peddled to get people to buy stuff.

Sometimes I feel we should just eat and drink everything in moderation and not go by the bs that is peddled every day.

What if what we are eating / feeding today as healthy turns out to be not so healthy tomorrow....:((

18 minutes ago, beetle said:

Back to topic....

I use mustard oil for veggies.

Ghee for rest.

Olive oil for pasta and eggs etc.

Sometimes peanut oil for frying.

No sugar in tea , coffee or nimbu paani  or even cereals.

Only sugar is used for make sweet dishes.

I pick up honey from a honey farmer on way to Dehradun.

Olive oil is for temperate climates like USA, Italy. Its not good for tropical climates. May work in north. I know one thing for sure. Coconut oil is not advisable for use in USA because it becomes solid even in Chennai in the "winter" season. In US, it remains solid thorughout and you can imagine it wont be good for the body. So traditional for the local customs not for foreign customs

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Thats why its better to buy these things without brand name and from some reputable local seller nearby

This was a non brand local sellers.

Don't believe local is always good.

Most of the local milk from small sellers is heavily adulterated. Sometimes it is not even milk....urea with detergent ....:sick:

Those days of small producers being honest are gone.