What is the best version of Dal you've had?

jalebi_bhai

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Not just the sweetness, I also like my Sambhar thick with lots of dal and veggies. 

Tamil style is too sour from tamarind. We balance it with sweet. At home , we make it thick with all veggies. What you get in hotels is basically watered down version with too much sweet. Main differentiator is the powder. MTR powders give that authentic taste

Edited by coffee_rules

Never heard of any non-veg Dals. As the saying goes, ghar ki murgi dal barabhar. (hate that saying though), maybe they don’t try mixing chicken and dal. Just curious. Both are protein source. There are enough Dal recipes that can match a chicken or non-veg dish. It’s all about the masala anyway, non-veg without masala or oil , makes it too bland. Like German cuisine

37 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Tamil style is too sour from tamarind. We balance it with sweet. At home , we make it thick with all veggies. What you get in hotels is basically watered down version with too much sweet. Main differentiator is the powder. MTR powders give that authentic taste

Same here...lots of daal and veggies in my sambhar. None of the watery stuff is accepted at my home......everest masala rules in my kitchen.

23 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Never heard of any non-veg Dals. As the saying goes, ghar ki murgi dal barabhar. (hate that saying though), maybe they don’t try mixing chicken and dal. Just curious. Both are protein source. There are enough Dal recipes that can match a chicken or non-veg dish. It’s all about the masala anyway, non-veg without masala or oil , makes it too bland. Like German cuisine

Machher Matha Diye Dal (Fish head in Dal), seen it in weddings. 

Edited by Gollum

One of the best Sambhars I have tasted was by a Nepali lady, she used to work as cook in our house. Didn't know about Sambhar, my grandma taught her and then she worked on that, student surpassed teacher and all that. I literally used to have that Sambhar along with Phulka every day for lunch. 

A big dal fan. A few of my favorite styles:

• Thick yellow dal (that is what I call it). It is more like a vegetable dish than a dal. With onions, garlick, tomatoes, etc. in it 
  • Dal Tadka 
  • Gujju dal without sugar. I only prefer sugar in deserts 
  • Dal Bukhara: Dal makhani but cooked for 24 hours or so
  • Osaman 
  • Dal batti (Rajasthani style dal served with batti) 
  • Dal Dhokli 
  • Sambhar
  • Other types of daal including mung
  • Dal Moradabadi - dal with paneer served at one of the restaurants here. probably the one below:

o.jpg