Pandya’s finishing (in cricket) skills tracker

maniac

Pandya has limited power in his strokes..  I like his bat swing  but that's about it.  Tbh If Dube develops bat swing like this he will tonk the ball many times.  Pandya's new stance is awful like Maxi.  Never considered him a matchwinner. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

12 hours ago, maniac said:

All I have seen is he performs when everyone performs. I don’t see a Yuvraj Dhoni Raina type  finishing from him ever either in IPL or internationals. 

Also he has already played internationals for 4 years. Aur kitna time chahiye?

The all-rounder development model is a failed one. Australia have tried it giving plenty of rope for Mitch Marsh but he is underwhelming at best and often injured. Pandya is not bowling now because of injury and who knows how often they will recur if he resumes bowling duties. 4 years later he is still a lesser bowler and lesser batsman. I wish he had developed into a solid batsman by now. 

I think performances in the first half of IPL 2020 are more reflections of how much the players were able to practice during the COVID induced break.

Not everyone got enough chances to practice competitively. 

We have seen 3 of our top LOI match-winners in the last few years ... Bumrah, Kohli and Rohit look out of sorts.

Time to judge players' forms would be after they play 5 or 6 matches each.

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Dont be one guy has almost 100 in SA , 50 in england , 100 in SL

Rohit has neither

dhawan doesnt 2 of them

Sorry to confuse u 

At the end of the IPL season when I see the runs scored that should clear my confusion. Agree?

13 minutes ago, Khota said:

At the end of the IPL season when I see the runs scored that should clear my confusion. Agree?

But the last time i showed u that he has been the 2nd highest wkt taker for mumbai indians u refused to acknowledge, a year before he was the highest u refused to acknowledge. 

1st stick to to what u say 

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Pandya has limited power in his strokes..  I like his bat swing  but that's about it.  Tbh If Dube develops bat swing like this he will tonk the ball many times.  

Hahahahaha

Still remember when dube bursted on scene many said he is a better bowler then pandya, none owned up to it. This is next funny 

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Pandya's new stance is awful like Maxi.  Never considered him a matchwinner. 

he has been scoring runs with that for 2 yrs in IPL 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

But the last time i showed u that he has been the 2nd highest wkt taker for mumbai indians u refused to acknowledge, a year before he was the highest u refused to acknowledge. 

1st stick to to what u say 

I always stick to what I say. Pandya is a hack.

5 hours ago, nevada said:

The all-rounder development model is a failed one. Australia have tried it giving plenty of rope for Mitch Marsh but he is underwhelming at best and often injured. Pandya is not bowling now because of injury and who knows how often they will recur if he resumes bowling duties. 4 years later he is still a lesser bowler and lesser batsman. I wish he had developed into a solid batsman by now. 

Exactly. I personally am ok with Pandya in T20 because I think it is the only format that has a place for bits and pieces cricketers. However what I am questioning is his temperament because he is supposedly going to be our finisher/ middle order in all formats especially LOI’s.

If you remember, Shane Watson was not going anywhere till Aussies actually made him an

opener. An opener who could bowl as the 5th bowler and have a golden arm that made him super valuable.

Ben Stokes is a proper no.4 -no.5 batsman, Woakes is a proper opening bowler.

It took Jadeja to become a premier frontline spinner to get the respect of the fans.

That shows these guys had the temperament of a batsman or a bowler.

When we say Raina,Yuvraj or MSD, MSD’s utility was as a keeper and it just so happened that he was an amazing batsman. Raina and Yuvraj played as finishers because we had an ATG batting line up otherwise for any other team they would be batting in the top 3-4. They had that batsman temperament which made them great finishers.

When it comes to Pandya, he might be obviously  more skillful than the Umesh Yadavs or the Shami’s of the world with the bat but that’s basically his attitude of a no.11 who swings the bat blindly with no calculation or acumen. His 90 in SA was no different from the 80 odd Anderson scored against us or the 50 Shami hit in England or the recent 6 hitting form Umesh has had in tests.

He just doesn’t have the mind to make it to the next level. Play him as a pinch hitter in T20’s for all I care, only thing assured about him is his fielding I will give him that.

Can anyone remind me what the thread is about? It is all over the place. Are we are tracking finishing skills of Pandya in IPL to determine his suitability in other formats? :phehe:

When the guy was already MI best player last season! 

Anyways, always appreciate the interest in Sir Don Pandya :hatsoff:

Nobody is expecting Pandya to do well in this IPL. He is coming of injury so his bowling is not there which is fine.Question is about his future when he is healthy (I hope he does recover fully).

Question is will he  become a match winner when healthy .What is the time frame for him to become Indian version of Ben Stokes.Ben Stokes showed glimpses very early on and we could easily see that he was technically very correct batsman.Pandya is no such player, his game is full of hit and miss rather than technique.

Ben Stokes made his test debut in  2013 and became world class by 2016-17. What is expected of Pandya?He was given consistent run in all formats but he could not justify his place.

Rohit Sharma was given long rope by Dhoni and team management and he has justified it by becoming world class in white ball cricket. 

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Nobody is expecting Pandya to do well in this IPL. He is coming of injury so his bowling is not there which is fine.Question is about his future when he is healthy (I hope he does recover fully).

Question is will he  become a match winner when healthy .What is the time frame for him to become Indian version of Ben Stokes.Ben Stokes showed glimpses very early on and we could easily see that he was technically very correct batsman.Pandya is no such player, his game is full of hit and miss rather than technique.

Ben Stokes made his test debut in  2013 and became world class by 2016-17. What is expected of Pandya?He was given consistent run in all formats but he could not justify his place.

Rohit Sharma was given long rope by Dhoni and team management and he has justified it by becoming world class in white ball cricket. 

while MSD gets credit for backing Rohit, Rohit and rightfully so, he also justified that he deserves it by playing crucial and tournament winning knocks in WT20 and CB series. Some time’s you have to earn the long rope and belief of the captain/TM as well.

Edited by maniac

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

while MSD gets credit for backing Rohit, Rohit also justified by playing crucial and tournament winning knocks in WT20 and CB series. Some time’s you have to earn the long rope and belief of the captain/TM as well.

Pandya has done his bit by score 91 in SA and taking 5fer in England. He was given his run, he or his fans cannot say he was not given proper run.The problem I see with Pandya is even if he plays 100 tests/200 odis I don't think he would become a great  player in any format.He needs to play FC cricket and improve all facets of his game.He is 26/27, I don't think he will be able to change his game.

Rohit was averaging over 60 in FC and still has very good FC average.

I don't think he has ability to become finisher either, Dhoni became a finisher in odis because he elimnated the risk and had started playing percentage cricket.Dhoni did have ability to score 180 or 150 when sent up the order. Dhoni had primary skill of WK.What is Pandya's primary skill.

This nonsense that Pandya is an allrounder so he is allowed to stink in both bowling and batting is ridiculous. There is nothing called allrounder, each player has to justify his place in the team as a batsman or bowler or WK.His secondary skill is always a plus.

Edited by putrevus

Turned into a joke thread. Now if the goal is to track SDP's (Sir Don Pandya) performances in this IPL, it is not even done properly:

• M1: Supported Tiwari initially and then went after the bowling. Got out to a magnificent catch. Put 2 6s in 
  • M2: Built a 30 runs p'ship. Unfortunately out hit wicket. Got 2 4s and a 6 in
  • M3: Came in with MI in doldrums at 39/3. Built a partnership with Ishan. Got a 6 in. With RRR rising and Pollard to come, had to go for big shots. Caught at the edge of the boundary

In all 3 innings, he has displayed attacking mindset, trying to drive the game forward, which is what is expected from him. His dismissals have been through magnificent catches and caught on the edge of the boundary,  along with that hitwicket, (unlucky if you see how many catches have been dropped in this tourney) 

With 14 games to play, no team or player can perform in all of them. Pandya has not had a "star" performance (which is what people expect from him) so far but he has been ok. Nothing much to complain here unless SDP is expected to turn every inning into a gem (though good to see such expectations for SDP :hatsoff:)

I also skimmed through some posts to see names like Rohit, Dhoni, etc., thrown in. We know what guys like Rohit average in MO in ODIs (debuted in or around 2007 and had to be sent up in 2013 to enable him to play to his potential). The comparison with Dhoni is funny too (if he was compared as I only skimmed through posts) as Dhoni played for consistency, while Pandya plays for "impact". Every team needs different types of players unless you want of have a Dhoni or Kohli batting from 1 to 6 (that is not going to happen). If you see Eng, it plays likes of Mooen, etc too despite having "Root". 

As for Tests (again off topic on an IPL forum), Pandya averages 60+ in subcon with 1 100. So far he has played most of his tests in difficult batting conditions in SENA, a tough thing to do for any newcomer. If he had the opportunity to bat in India too in tests, his avg would be much higher!

Edited by zen

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Hahahahaha

Still remember when dube bursted on scene many said he is a better bowler then pandya, none owned up to it. This is next funny 

he has been scoring runs with that for 2 yrs in IPL 

Lol hitting sixes at Wankhede & Dubai is a different thing.  With this brand new stance Pandya failed in WC as well..  Except for Aussie game. 

All he is trying to do is hack it towards leg side & it is visible clearly...  His off side game is gone.

With him not bowling he is more or less a liability. 

Dube clearly looks a better investment tbf...  If he is given even half as chances as Hardik.  If he can bowl as good as Neesham he'll  be fine.