Pandya’s finishing (in cricket) skills tracker

maniac

26 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

whats wrong with him,he played so well in Australia.I feel indian pitches are not to his liking,he needs ultra flat ones to just tee off.

everyone knows that at Chennai it has not been easy for lower middle order batsmen 

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

whats wrong with him,he played so well in Australia.I feel indian pitches are not to his liking,he needs ultra flat ones to just tee off.

He has scored 35 runs in 33 balls this IPL across 4 matches. That is a strike rate of just 107.  It's not that he hasn't scores in Chennai before. It is more about form where a batsmen goes through a bad phase for some matches. But IPL is a long tourney, so there is enough time for him to brush of pathetic matches he has had and get into good form.

14 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

He has scored 35 runs in 33 balls this IPL across 4 matches. That is a strike rate of just 107.  It's not that he hasn't scores in Chennai before. It is more about form where a batsmen goes through a bad phase for some matches. But IPL is a long tourney, so there is enough time for him to brush of pathetic matches he has had and get into good form.

@zen

Hasn’t bowler either. Has anyone seen him bowl? How does he get a A grade contract.

Love Pandya’s batting. Very exciting. Top Overall a quality cricketer but people have a problem because he keeps getting handed things while others are judged more stringently. Keeps walking in and out of the team without such performances yet.

Why does his bowling have to be protected? So he will just switch on and switch off in a crisis situation if he has to bowl? 

Why do we write of other players  without them getting the same rope? Why hasn’t a guy who hit a 300 against England not getting chances? Now experts will come in and say they didn’t “see quality”. How does that work?

In a fair world, benchmarks are fair for everyone and shouldn’t go by just someone’s eye test.

19 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

irrelevant (that is why people who do not know how to synthesize info should stay away from # as it can be like a blind trying to guide other blinds) as we know batting in the 2nd half is difficult and matches have been relatively low scoring

If ppl are trying to judge (rather than backing) SDP who is going to reach his peak phase soon and serve Ind for many years on a few games here and there (and that too on tough surfaces), it displays a lack of cricketing acumen

I will follow this thread for comic relief :laugh1:

22 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Hasn’t bowler either. Has anyone seen him bowl? How does he get a A grade contract.

Love Pandya’s batting. Very exciting. Top Overall a quality cricketer but people have a problem because he keeps getting handed things while others are judged more stringently. Keeps walking in and out of the team without such performances yet.

Why does his bowling have to be protected? So he will just switch on and switch off in a crisis situation if he has to bowl? 

Why do we write of other players  without them getting the same rope? Why hasn’t a guy who hit a 300 against England not getting chances? Now experts will come in and say they didn’t “see quality”. How does that work?

In a fair world, benchmarks are fair for everyone and shouldn’t go by just someone’s eye test.

why did a Tendulkar debut at 16 when there are other players who had more experience? Why did Kambli not get enough rope? And so on. Why did Dhoni get more backing than a Karthik? 

Players with certain qualities are backed because they show once in a generation type of potential 

4 minutes ago, zen said:

why did a Tendulkar debut at 16 when there are other players who had more experience? Why did Kambli not get enough rope? And so on. Why did Dhoni get more backing than a Karthik? 

Players with certain qualities are backed because they show once in a generation type of potential 

Bhaisan......

Bhaagvat....

No point.  He doesn't care about facts, or the obvious value that Pandya offers to teams - Franchise or international.  Its all about his ego and his 'opinion'.  

1 minute ago, zen said:

Tendulkar and Dhoni for the matter of fact, never put a foot down since debut on field or off field. Cant say the same for Hardik.

I am no longer a hater as he did do well in Aus in crisis situation but I don’t get this VIP treatment. That’s probably why Pandya who should be talk of the town early on like with Dhoni when he debuted doesn’t get the same respect. In fact Thakur and Sundar have played more clutch knocks than Pandya but I think they are Grade C cricketers.

Just now, sandeep said:

Bhaisan......

Bhaagvat....

No point.  He doesn't care about facts, or the obvious value that Pandya offers to teams - Franchise or international.  Its all about his ego and his 'opinion'.  

you seriously lose all objectivity when it comes to me and Pandya without even taking a rational look at what I said.

not sure what triggers you may be something personal there with Pandya that triggers a nerve . That’s the only thing I can think of :)

7 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Tendulkar and Dhoni for the matter of fact, never put a foot down since debut on field or off field. Cant say the same for Hardik.

I am no longer a hater as he did do well in Aus in crisis situation but I don’t get this VIP treatment. That’s probably why Pandya who should be talk of the town early on like with Dhoni when he debuted doesn’t get the same respect. In fact Thakur and Sundar have played more clutch knocks than Pandya but I think they are Grade C cricketers.

Such^ comments are made by folks who do not know the difference b/w an SDP (who has actually helped win tournaments, not matches, giving teams a huge edge) and Thakur/Sundar ... Thankfully, franchises know what they are doing 

Edited by zen

Just now, zen said:

Such^ comments are made by folks who do not know the difference b/w an SDP and Thakur and Sundar ... Thankfully, franchise know why they are doing 

There is no difference. All 3 are fantastic utility cricketers with different strength and weaknesses and are in different stages of their careers more or less and have had memorable performances for India. 

1 minute ago, Global.Baba said:

objectivity when it comes to me and Pandya without even taking a rational look at what I said

what you wrote is neither objective nor rational.

You and I have significant overlap in how we see the game and players - and there are cases where we disagree.  The main difference between you and me, is that I don't argue/disagree against a person, I stick to the point made - badly or otherwise.  You overestimate yourself if you think that you are "triggering" me.  I laugh at your silliness, and indulge it on occasion by getting into the mud with you.  That's all.  

The fact is that Pandya is a goddam unicorn.  We have not had a player like him in 40 years, if ever.  That's why he gets the rope he has earned, and deserves.  He is a bonafide powerhitter who is arguably the best in the business of batting in the lower order, and delivering big boundaries early in his innings against all kinds of bowling.  And has proven repeatedly that he is no Afridi with bat in hand, and can bat with intelligence and batting skill.  Add to that, he's a gun fielder, and a very handy bowler with good skillset and demonstrated bowling intelligence.  Now this doesn't mean he's god's gift to cricket - has his own set of strengths and weaknesses etc.  But that doesn't change the fact that he is an immensely valuable player for the Indian team.  And for the BOM T20 team.  Both of whom, treat him as such.  Much to your self-professed dismay and 'confusion'.

Now obviously his bowling fitness after a back injury is always going to have to be "managed".  And its great that a franchise team isn't pressuring him to risk his fitness and potential availability for the national team by asking him to bowl.

You have a very nakedly obvious biased agenda in "asking these 'tough' questions", and its just funny how you try to camouflage it unsuccessfully.   You may think you are coming across as rational, but your cherrypicking bias is as transparent and obvious as it can get.  

That's why I didn't even bother responding to your sad little rant, but just laughed at it.  Since you somehow twisted that into something else, I'm providing a clarification.  Up to you, how you choose to interpret it.

Just now, Global.Baba said:

There is no difference. All 3 are fantastic utility cricketers with different strength and weaknesses and are in different stages of their careers more or less and have had memorable performances for India. 

thank you for proving my point ... now track Pant's finishing skills 7 off 8 balls at C'nai