Pandya’s finishing (in cricket) skills tracker

maniac

6 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Lol hitting sixes at Wankhede & Dubai is a different thing.  With this brand new stance Pandya failed in WC as well..  Except for Aussie game. 

All he is trying to do is hack it towards leg side & it is visible clearly...  His off side game is gone.

With him not bowling he is more or less a liability. 

Dube clearly looks a better investment tbf...  If he is given even half as chances as Hardik.  If he can bowl as good as Neesham he'll  be fine. 

he did sixes with same stance in every ground in india not every ground is small. He hit sixes with same stance against aus in wc not a small ground .

The stance ur cursing of maxi...he just scored 100 with that against england. 

Clearly u dnt see the use of crease someone like dube doesnt even move . Same dube who was struggling to clear boundries in nz this yr

Dube better investment....haha chalo save krle 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Lol hitting sixes at Wankhede & Dubai is a different thing.  With this brand new stance Pandya failed in WC as well..  Except for Aussie game. 

:hmmmm:

In 7 out of 9 games: 

15* v SA, SR 214

48 v Aus, SR 178

26 v Pak, SR 137

46 v WI, SR 121

45 v Eng, SR 136

7* v SL, SR 175

32 v NZ, SR 52 

The above is a good performance (Avg 44, SR 115) from a lower middle order impact player  (for reference - Tendulkar avgs 30 w/ a SR of 86 when batting at 5 to 7) .... If we talk about the group games, his avg goes up to 47 and SR to 146 (in 6 out of 8 group games). The games where he failed were v AFG and BD (2 out of 8 group games)

Edited by zen

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

So why how come u wanted rayudu n rahane in loi...since when is batsman batting below ,80 s.r match winners

Dhawan in t20....since when is batsman batting under 130  s.r match winners

because they were better than the alternative at that time. 

This thing excuse that  Pandya’s weird stance worked out for him is dumb. Pandya has a great base,balance and hitting arc when he made his debut or a few years back but I guess he tinkered with it because of his issues against short ball it express pace and it worked as a temporary fix but however this isn’t some third rate team, this is the biggest league in the world with the best available coaches, Analysts and technical experts, He will he found out soon if he doesn’t go back to the basics.

Before people bring in Steve Smith, I mean really? Comparing Pandya with a once in a generation freak player?

1 hour ago, maniac said:

but I guess he tinkered with it because of his issues against short ball it express pace

he never had a short pitch or express pace problem , he plays short pitch n pace very comfortably. Never has he been hassled with pace....hitting 155k stuff is even a problem for likes of pollard n russell . Even russell will struggle to smash starc. 

Reason many backed him in test and even his fast tracking was coz he played pace n bounce very well, swing well that is everyones problem not only his . Pace n bounce is the 1st thing many of us see when we like  young batsman same was the case with Devdutt and now samad, all we want to see in samad is how comfortable he is against pace n bounce rest he will improve 

this stance is done for few reasons , which now even maxwell is doing

• These guys are bowled a lot of balls which are extreme wide of offstump almost around wide line , they stand like this to have a better reach. Thats why ull see pollard, russell , dhoni , yuvi taking an off stump guard . Pandya n Maxwell used other trick  
  • This helps with helicopter shot n smashing yorker
  • this allows to get very deep in crease , which makes yorker half volley
  • this also allows to cut down out swing 

stances n all are overrateds what matters is you shud be in right position when bat meets the ball 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

3 hours ago, maniac said:

This thing excuse that  Pandya’s weird stance worked out for him is dumb. Pandya has a great base,balance and hitting arc when he made his debut or a few years back but I guess he tinkered with it because of his issues against short ball it express pace and it worked as a temporary fix but however this isn’t some third rate team, this is the biggest league in the world with the best available coaches, Analysts and technical experts, He will he found out soon if he doesn’t go back to the basics.

Before people bring in Steve Smith, I mean really? Comparing Pandya with a once in a generation freak player?

Agree but thing is short ball never seemed to trouble him that much.  When Pandya arrived he had a good off side game against spin & Pace.  Now he is clearly trying to hack everything to leg.   Coaches & analyst must have figured out how to bowl to him.  

He isn't a freak like Russell or Pollard who use sheer brute power.  I'd be Happy he goes back to how he was in 2018.

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Alternatives were Rahul n iyer who already has shown how they are leaps n bounce ahead of those 2 whose s/r is lesser then guys like Clive lyod n zaheer abbas who played cricket almost 35-40 yrs ago 

Alternatives are the ones who played over them. Rahul is a top bat and he is one of the three openers right now.

16 hours ago, Mariyam said:

People are very harsh on Hardik Pandya. He became a father a few months ago. He surely had other priorities during the lock down. Let him get into his grove, and he will be a match winner few matches down the line.

We are too easy on this average player. He did not have a baby his wife had one. He just had sex. People need to quit making excuses for him.

38 minutes ago, Khota said:

Alternatives are the ones who played over them. Rahul is a top bat and he is one of the three openers right now.

Rahul is scoring tons of runs in middle for india and has 100 in t20 also 

35 minutes ago, Khota said:

Almost half a decade of this hack and we are waiting for him to come thru.

Half a decade is 5 yrs

he debut in 2016 thats 4 yrs out of which 2020 is almost 0 and 1 yr count in injuries so basically 2 yr

10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Agree but thing is short ball never seemed to trouble him that much.  When Pandya arrived he had a good off side game against spin & Pace.  Now he is clearly trying to hack everything to leg.   Coaches & analyst must have figured out how to bowl to him.  

He isn't a freak like Russell or Pollard who use sheer brute power.  I'd be Happy he goes back to how he was in 2018.

12 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he never had a short pitch or express pace problem , he plays short pitch n pace very comfortably. Never has he been hassled with pace....hitting 155k stuff is even a problem for likes of pollard n russell . Even russell will struggle to smash starc. 

Reason many backed him in test and even his fast tracking was coz he played pace n bounce very well, swing well that is everyones problem not only his . Pace n bounce is the 1st thing many of us see when we like  young batsman same was the case with Devdutt and now samad, all we want to see in samad is how comfortable he is against pace n bounce rest he will improve 

this stance is done for few reasons , which now even maxwell is doing

• These guys are bowled a lot of balls which are extreme wide of offstump almost around wide line , they stand like this to have a better reach. Thats why ull see pollard, russell , dhoni , yuvi taking an off stump guard . Pandya n Maxwell used other trick  
  • This helps with helicopter shot n smashing yorker
  • this allows to get very deep in crease , which makes yorker half volley
  • this also allows to cut down out swing 

stances n all are overrateds what matters is you shud be in right position when bat meets the ball 

what I meant to say is, Hardik never looked like a deer in headlights against pace like Raina, Yusuf Pathan or one dimensional like Jadhav, Rayudu but if you go back and look at old threads people were questioning about his hitting ability against pace in the same mould as Pollard,Russell,Morgan etc.

He changed that stance a couple of years back and did find success against pace in IPL and to some extent in the WC however that stance never looked like something he could sustain in fact I pointed out before that it could affect his natural balance and ability.

These things like standing outside crease etc etc are only temporary fixes and I have a feeling most quality sides will figure out a work around. He will still hit the odd 6 or have the odd cameo type knock but I want Pandya to be a guy who can hit daddy 100’s like Stokes or play against all odds 50-60 in a collapse type situation and this new patiya hitting technique won’t work over long term.

Edited by maniac

3 hours ago, maniac said:

He changed that stance a couple of years back and did find success against pace in IPL and to some extent in the WC however that stance never looked like something he could sustain in fact I pointed out before that it could affect his natural balance and ability.

IF the new stance does not work for him, he is smart enough to change it .... Right now, he appears to be more focused on hitting 6s (fascinated with that) and playing impact innings so he is going to attempt that .... I do not mind if he enjoys his game and IPL 

17 minutes ago, zen said:

IF the new stance does not work for him, he is smart enough to change it .... Right now, he appears to be more focused on hitting 6s (fascinated with that) and playing impact innings so he is going to attempt that .... I do not mind if he enjoys his game and IPL 

If he was that smart he would go in and out of the stance based on team situation and position.

Enjoying 6’s that seems straight out of the Afridi playbook who was at least a decent LOI bowler.

13 minutes ago, maniac said:

If he was that smart he would go in and out of the stance based on team situation and position.

Enjoying 6’s that seems straight out of the Afridi playbook who was at least a decent LOI bowler.

I think the team is using him as an impact player. In fact, MI has two - Hardik and Pollard. So if Hardik is batting ahead of Pollard, he would be taking more risks. As if he gets out, there is Pollard to come. After Pollard, MI still has decent batting. 

In T20s, you are not playing to bat through the day. If you play a couple of quiet overs, the RRR shoots up. Either you do the job, or get out let someone else do it. In this tourney, Pandya has been ok so far which is ok too esp. if he can come back in the KO stages (as not everyone can do well in every game so if one has to pick the best moments for impact players, it better be KOs)

Also I do not know how an Afridi, who has a SR of 150, is bad as a middle lower order player in T20s. Those are the type of players you would need in those positions. Now if Pandya is asked to bat in top 4, he may get more opportunities to play more balls and therefore develop a slightly different approach. 

Edited by zen

5 minutes ago, zen said:

I think the team is using him as an impact player. In fact, MI has two - Hardik and Pollard. So if Hardik is batting ahead of Pollard, he would be taking more risks. As if he gets out, there is Pollard to come. After Pollard, MI still has decent batting. 

In T20s, you are not playing to bat through the day. If you play a couple of quiet overs, the RRR shoots up. Either you do the job, or get out let someone else do it. In this tourney, Pandya has been ok so far which is ok too esp. if he can come back in the KO stages (as not everyone can do well in every game so if one has to pick the best moments for impact players, it better be KOs)

Also I do not know how an Afridi, who has a SR of 150, is bad as a middle lower order player in T20s. Those are the type of players you would need in those positions. Now if Pandya is asked to bat in top 4, he may get more opportunities to play more balls and therefore develop a different approach. 

So let’s say hypothetically speaking no.10 and no.11 are batting on the 5th day of the test match with 30 overs to go, should they just swing and give up because everyone else including top bats failed and it is not their problem to save the match as they are only bowlers or should they try their level best to save the match? :hmmm:

Sure may be he is sent to accelerate and get quick runs at times as MI have good batting depth but does it mean he shouldn’t play according to the situation and finish the game.

cmon for someone who gets stuck on the minute details of the game, I am

surprised you can’t see that :no:

14 minutes ago, maniac said:

So let’s say hypothetically speaking no.10 and no.11 are batting on the 5th day of the test match with 30 overs to go, should they just swing and give up because everyone else including top bats failed and it is not their problem to save the match as they are only bowlers or should they try their level best to save the match? :hmmm:

I do not even see how the test example is relevant as in T20s, your job is to play with a high strike rate esp. since you are trying to get/chase runs which are greater than the number of balls. If the par score is 170 and if your team is 50/3 after 8 overs (RR around 6), it means that you have to try to get 120 in 12 at a RR of 10. Prodding around to reach 130 odd is a negative sum game. The later you come, the more quickly you need to get off the blocks and get the big shots going 

Sure may be he is sent to accelerate and get quick runs at times as MI have good batting depth but does it mean he shouldn’t play according to the situation and finish the game.

cmon for someone who gets stuck on the minute details of the game, I am

surprised you can’t see that :no:

Every player is trying to finish the game. But because they have to take risks, they can get out. Pandya is going for 6s because he is trying to close the game by reducing/meeting the RRR. If not than all teams would be playing with only the openers. 

I do not see many MI fan complaining about anything. It is mostly the fans of other franchises, who do not probably even understand MI's brand of cricket, who are complaining (or attempting to complain) about Pandya, who has in fact done ok so far! 

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

I do not even see how the test example is relevant as in T20s, your job is to play with a high strike rate esp. since you are trying to get/chase runs which are greater than the number of balls. If the par score is 170 and if your team is 50/3 after 8 overs (RR around 6), it means that you have to try to get 120 in 12 at a RR of 10. Prodding around to reach 130 is a negative sum game. The later you come, the more quickly you need to get off the blocks and get the big shots going 

Every player is trying to finish the game. But because they have to take risks, they can get out. If not than all teams would be playing with only the openers. 

I do not see many MI fan complaining about anything. It is mostly the fans of other franchises, who do not even play cricket like MI or understand its brand of cricket, who are complaining (or attempting to complain) about Pandya, who is in fact done ok so far! 

Trust me when it comes to understanding and explaining :mi: strategies and plans and on field management of resources you will not find a better analyst than me :winky: