Hardik Pandya shows his support to the Black Lives Matter Movement

Cricketics

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

That is right. But that isn't the bone of contention. Are you trying to say that if Hardik knelt and did the BLM salute at home in regular clothes ( if you can call his clothes that) his activism would be a lot more sincere or attract lesser criticism? I hardly think so.

Why must one comment on Indian affairs before commenting on a foreign movement? Commenting on Indian affairs reeks of far more opportunism. You need to take a stand politically and can have something to gain if your views gain traction. High risk high reward game. Commenting on BLM gets him no political recognition in India.  

Why does his tweet evoke such a strong reaction anyways? He is a cricketer/entertainer. Not a thought leader.

It is possible to support the fact that he showed solidarity, while still criticizing the bad optics in that picture.  His future actions will decide whether his intent was sincere.  

3 hours ago, asterix said:

He’s always been an attention seeker and a wannabe...  However did ended up marrying a white Girl. Well, he has freedom to do all that. 

For me as long as he’s performing on the field, I don’t mind his antics... He’s not performing on field though and “dropping” crucial catches...

Exactly. Married a white chick but wants to be black. Also don’t even know Pandya knows the significance of BLM 

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Why is he smiling, is this some kind of joke to him.He needs to understand the seriousness of the issue.

This is where it gets even more fake. Even if he were to be given a benefit of doubt about doing the whole BLM thing at this time of the year when the actual event took place 2 months ago, he does this by laughing, giggling. 

All drama, fake. 

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

This is where it gets even more fake. Even if he were to be given a benefit of doubt about doing the whole BLM thing at this time of the year when the actual event took place 2 months ago, he does this by laughing, giggling. 

All drama, fake. 

Why is Pollard smiling . These guys (African descent players) who are not in US need to  understand the gravity of situation. Black youth and men are subjected to racial profiling everyday and it is so scary that they don't even if they will come home after going out.

12 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Why is Pollard smiling . These guys (African descent players) who are not in US need to  understand the gravity of situation. Black youth and men are subjected to racial profiling everyday and it is so scary that they don't even if they will come home after going out.

You just understand yourself. Most of the people who were also protesting in U.S ended up looting the stores in some of the biggest downtowns of U.S. A lof of these were African-Americans, videos are out there all over the place. A lot of them just want to join the march in solidarity but inside they don't give a crap and are just being opportunist and trying to benefit from it in whichever way possible or many doing just to remind other people that "oh we care about this issue too".

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

You just understand yourself. Most of the people who were also protesting in U.S ended up looting the stores in some of the biggest downtowns of U.S. A lof of these were African-Americans, videos are out there all over the place. A lot of them just want to join the march in solidarity but inside they don't give a crap and are just being opportunist and trying to benefit from it in whichever way possible or many doing just to remind other people that "oh we care about this issue too".

While I understand your point , not everyone is like that, IMHO it is wrong to generalize them.They need to understand the need of hour is  having much  more stronger non violent movement. 

What they are lacking is a leader who can become the face of  this movement, Colin Kapernick tried but he was kicked out.

Guy like Lebron needs to do more for this movement.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

While I understand your point , not everyone is like that, IMHO it is wrong to generalize them.They need to understand the need of hour is  having much  more stronger non violent movement. 

What they are lacking is a leader who can become the face of  this movement, Colin Kapernick tried but he was kicked out.

In fact, Guys like Lebron I think have done enough. NBA has been made full BLM. Thats another topic though but yes, infact he has done enough.

Lebron has been posting about BLM and Breana Taylor like 10k times a month. I don't think he has done less. He has used his voice enough. 

These other people just need to shut up like Al Sharpton, even Black people don't respect him anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

In fact, Guys like Lebron I think have done enough. NBA has been made full BLM. Thats another topic though but yes, infact he has done enough.

Lebron has been posting about BLM and Breana Taylor like 10k times a month. I don't think he has done less. He has used his voice enough. 

These other people just need to shut up like Al Sharpton, even Black people don't respect him anyway. 

Before getting into  BLM, Indians should first stop ridiculing their own people for the color of their skin and  promoting fair = beautiful.

Now I know it is typical right wing argument that all lives matter while missing the actual context behind the BlM movement, but still it cheapens and demeans the cause when it comes from a guy like Pandya who has had 0% social responsibility in his actions and behavior and hasn’t shown so far cricketing wise or other that he has even a 0.0001% of intellect.

In fact this makes mockery of the whole moment.

While I think genuinely Pollard and some WI cricketers do like Pandya and his innocence. That is fine and all his antics and behavior can be attributed to his behavior which is that of a village idiot and can be overlooked but it is cringe when this dumb act is portrayed as how Hardik is a soldier of the non violence wing of the Black Panther army. That is disgusting.

35 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Both these facts can be simultaneously correct.  

(1) Systemic racism is real and AAs are truly oppressed in the US.  

(2) Some protestors are looters. 

#2 does not negate #1.

We must be careful not to conflate issues while discussing them.  

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Before getting into  BLM, Indians should first stop ridiculing their own people for the color of their skin and  promoting fair = beautiful.

Now I know it is typical right wing argument that all lives matter while missing the actual context behind the BlM movement, but still it cheapens and demeans the cause when it comes from a guy like Pandya who has had 0% social responsibility in his actions and behavior and hasn’t shown so far cricketing wise or other that he has even a 0.0001% of intellect.

While I think genuinely Pollard and some WI cricketers do like Pandya and his innocence. That is fine and all his antics and behavior can be attributed to his behavior which is that of a village idiot and can be overlooked but it is cringe when this dumb act is portrayed as how Hardik is a soldier of the non violence wing of the Black Panther army. That is disgusting.

Too early to judge one way or the other.  Actions matter.  Maybe Pollard has a foundation in T&T (or Barbados or wherever he is from), and Hardik will donate and/or volunteer, and is just using his IPL platform to bring awareness. It's just speculation on my part, but I'd rather be positively judgmental than negatviely.  But agree that the posted image was bad optics.  

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

That is so true, Pandya so far has not demostrated that he has any scoial responsibility.Him posing in middle of an innings of a tournament which had begun two months back makes no sense at all.

41 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I disagree on Lebron doing enough. He has the platform to do more in my view but that is a topic for another discussion.

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Wait until he lands their and gets mugged one of these days 

"I got mugged maan"

To be honest, Kingston was not as scary as some US cities.  We stayed right in the middle of town, walked around a lot, took random transports to the stadium and back, rode in a cab through Bob Marley's neighborhood, visited the zoo, the university and a public beach.  Just cool friendly people is what we saw.  Plus desis fit in well there.