India's squads for Australia announced (T20I, ODI and Tests)

2 hours ago, OpeningBatsman said:

I haven't read the whole article but I don't disagree with Sanjay. Rahul so, far has been a failure in test as an opener. YOU can't even argue that he was not given chances he was given 10-11 tests at stretch if i remember, last time around. Having said that he can be given another chance, maybe as a middle order bat. Don't just hate Sanjay for everything. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

What is with the sudden love for sreekanth. He was ridiculed here when he was a a selector as well as for being a csk fanboy but all of a sudden he is an angel? 

If Rohit, Dhawan, Rahane, can get back into national side, based on IPL performances, why not KL? He had a decent WC, has been the shoo-in for T20 and ODI formats, which is the only prevalent format in this lockdown, has had a good IPL, nobody says, he has been selected on his LOI/IPL performances, but he is there in Rohit's absence. Which other opener would you select in place of Rohit (who dropped out of recent NZ series and India suffered badly) ? Shaw is already there, Gill will be MO in tests, you can't push him to opener's slot in Test Cricket. 

6 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Cheeka averaged 29.9 in test matches. I guess any average more than that looks impressive to him.   :phehe:

Different era :dontknow:

Still think it is the right call to include KL..  He has been a completely different player after the Karan Johar saga.. Don't think it makes sense to look at his averages from 3-4 years ago.. Sometimes selectors need to go by intuition than just numbers..

Btw, anybody that Manju criticizes does well.. Hope it works out for KL  :giggle:

24 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Different era :dontknow:

Most top batsmen of Cheeka's era averaged 40+.

Still think it is the right call to include KL..  He has been a completely different player after the Karan Johar saga.. Don't think it makes sense to look at his averages from 3-4 years ago.. Sometimes selectors need to go by intuition than just numbers..

Difficult to judge the efficacy of a batsman in tests based on limited over games.

If he has not sorted out the technical issues that were causing him to get out, he will have same problems again in tests.

Btw, anybody that Manju criticizes does well.. Hope it works out for KL  :giggle:

:phehe:

28 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If Rohit, Dhawan, Rahane, can get back into national side, based on IPL performances, why not KL? He had a decent WC, has been the shoo-in for T20 and ODI formats, which is the only prevalent format in this lockdown, has had a good IPL, nobody says, he has been selected on his LOI/IPL performances, but he is there in Rohit's absence. Which other opener would you select in place of Rohit (who dropped out of recent NZ series and India suffered badly) ? Shaw is already there, Gill will be MO in tests, you can't push him to opener's slot in Test Cricket. 

1) never supported anyone getting in to test side based om t20 format. 

2) As i said alrdy K. L OR any other batsmen for that matter can get chances again, but he has not set the world on fire after playing more than decent amount of tests. Shaw needs to get his chances and should open with mayank if gill is considered only for m.o.

I know shaw has technical deficiencies but in oz since ball's not gonna move around much he could succeed. But I have a feeling Rahul's gonna get the chance in the first match itself which I don't agree with at all. You got your chance, wasted it, you have to move back in queue and let others get equal chances. 

Im not a hater. I love the way he smashes bowlers and i hope he gets success in test matches too. He is too good a talent. 

40 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If Rohit, Dhawan, Rahane, can get back into national side, based on IPL performances, why not KL? He had a decent WC, has been the shoo-in for T20 and ODI formats, which is the only prevalent format in this lockdown, has had a good IPL, nobody says, he has been selected on his LOI/IPL performances, but he is there in Rohit's absence. Which other opener would you select in place of Rohit (who dropped out of recent NZ series and India suffered badly) ? Shaw is already there,

What is the need to select anyone in the test squad based on performances in limited over matches ?

Rohit and Dhawan have never done well away from home in tests. And Rahane has been way below par in the last 4 years.

All these guys are blocking / have blocked test match spots where a more deserving candidate could have developed.

We need all-condition players.

Gill will be MO in tests, you can't push him to opener's slot in Test Cricket. 

Gill was opening in FC cricket, including some A-team innings. And did really well.

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

What is the need to select anyone in the test squad based on performances in limited over matches ?

Rohit and Dhawan have never done well away from home in tests. And Rahane has been way below par in the last 4 years.

All these guys are blocking / have blocked test match spots where a more deserving candidate could have developed.

Gill was opening in FC cricket, including some A-team innings. And did really well.

How do you rate Vihari? 

I thgt he was gonna be a place holder but obviously management thinks better of him. 

43 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Most top batsmen of Cheeka's era averaged 40+.

Difficult to judge the efficacy of a batsman in tests based on limited over games.

If he has not sorted out the technical issues that were causing him to get out, he will have same problems again in tests.

Wasn't Cheeka more an ODI batsman? Anyway, I haven't followed that era that much, so can't comment.

Hope Rahul has sorted out the issues.. It is definitely worth giving him a shot again.. He was doing okay in Tests, had a couple of bad series.. 

It looks like Manju is more worried that if Rahul does well, it might be curtains for Rohit in Tests :giggle:

Edited by bowl_out

I find funny when people start questioning the selection of Rohit or Rahul in test cricket stating they are test failures/can't play swing etc. Fans should remember there are not many Bradmans & Richards waiting in the wings of Indian cricket & we saw everyone's aukaat in NZ tour. Rohit especially is an ATG Indian batsman & Rahul in prime of his career, both deserve go ahead before they are discarded. My beef is if complete jokers like Rahane get mollycoddled, now that is wasting a spot for some new player who may have higher ceiling than that phoney.

It's a great opportunity to get Gill into the Indian setup in place of Rahane & give him complete Aus tour. Shaw can wait, his time will come eventually.

Edited by SK_IH

Cheeka is not the most articulate person, but KL's inclusion is not just based on IPL's performance or 2013 Aus 100, but his increase in stature in WC, T20 in NZs and in IPL this year as a captain. He will be a great backup to a not-so-confident Shaw, when Rohit is reluctant to open like he did in NZ earlier this year

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

My point about Rohit, Rahane is exactly in the same lines

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

But ask the selectors why Gill is selected in tests for Aus. Is he a backup opener like Shaw/Rahul or a backup for a MO like Pujara/Vihari. How many backup openers do we need?  Based on this , pic he is considered as a backup only for MO.

test.jpg

7 hours ago, OpeningBatsman said:

How do you rate Vihari? 

I thgt he was gonna be a place holder but obviously management thinks better of him. 

Still in the initial stage of his test career. So he needs to be given a few more games to prove his worth. 

He is one of those players who is average in terms of talent. So, how he fares would entirely depend on his hard work and will to succeed. 

If he is gritty, he may do well.

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

I find funny when people start questioning the selection of Rohit or Rahul in test cricket stating they are test failures/can't play swing etc. Fans should remember there are not many Bradmans & Richards waiting in the wings of Indian cricket & we saw everyone's aukaat in NZ tour. Rohit especially is an ATG Indian batsman & Rahul in prime of his career, both deserve go ahead before they are discarded. My beef is if complete jokers like Rahane get mollycoddled, now that is wasting a spot for some new player who may have higher ceiling than that phoney.

It's a great opportunity to get Gill into the Indian setup in place of Rahane & give him complete Aus tour. Shaw can wait, his time will come eventually.

If we consider the full round of SENA tours from 2018 to early 2020 ... we have played 14 tests covering all 4 SENA countries.

We have seen good to respectable batting averages by ...  Kohli 44.4 ... Jadeja 42 8 ... Mayank 42.4  ... Pujara 41.6.   Pant has averaged 35.8 which is good for a keeper.

While Rahul has averaged 20.3 from 10 tests ... Rohit 26 3 ... Rahane 27.0 from 12 tests.

Even if we consider entire careers, Rahul averages 22 in SENA and Rohit averages 25.

Even if we find a batsman who can average around 35 as an opener, he will be an upgrade over what Rahul and Rohit had to offer. And it is a no brainer that Rahane should go.

And it is not just a statistical point either. Both Rohit and Rahul have major technical issues while defending / leaving the ball. Now, some batsmen have succeeded despite such issues. But this duo have not. 

Mayank with Shaw / Gill will be a better option for opening in tests. Gill has done well.as an opener in FC for both Punjab and India-A.

** Smartphone users please use landscape mode to view the table below

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Kohli 2018-2020 14 27 0 1199 153 44.40 2279 52.61 4 5 2 139 2
RA Jadeja 2018-2020 4 7 2 214 86* 42.80 357 59.94 0 2 0 25 3
MA Agarwal 2018-2020 4 7 0 297 77 42.42 575 51.65 0 3 0 32 6
CA Pujara 2018-2020 13 25 1 999 193 41.62 2677 37.31 4 4 3 107 2
RR Pant 2018-2020 9 17 1 572 159* 35.75 847 67.53 2 0 1 58 12
B Kumar 2018-2018 2 4 1 101 33 33.66 252 40.07 0 0 0 11 0
AM Rahane 2018-2020 12 23 0 622 81 27.04 1480 42.02 0 4 1 64 3
RG Sharma 2018-2018 4 8 1 184 63* 26.28 389 47.30 0 1 0 16 4
PP Shaw 2020-2020 2 4 0 98 54 24.50 136 72.05 0 1 0 14 1
GH Vihari 2018-2020 6 11 0 253 56 23.00 645 39.22 0 2 1 34 1
HH Pandya 2018-2018 7 14 1 283 93 21.76 461 61.38 0 2 2 42 2
KL Rahul 2018-2019 10 19 0 386 149 20.31 653 59.11 1 0 3 53 2
S Dhawan 2018-2018 5 10 0 194 44 19.40 325 59.69 0 0 0 28 0
R Ashwin 2018-2020 8 16 2 250 38 17.85 427 58.54 0 0 1 35 1
PA Patel 2018-2018 2 4 0 56 19 14.00 118 47.45 0 0 0 8 0
M Vijay 2018-2018 7 14 0 177 46 12.64 588 30.10 0 0 3 19 0

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=5;orderby=batting_average;spanmax1=29+Oct+2020;spanmin1=01+Jan+2018;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting

Edited by express bowling
10 hours ago, express bowling said:

Cheeka averaged 29.9 in test matches. I guess any average more than that looks impressive to him.   :phehe:

He is the same person who selected his son in India A over so many other deserving candidates when he was a selector. He should be the last person to talk about selection bias.

Regarding Rahul, he should have said that Rahul should be given extra rope to improve his test performances. That would have been okay. However, what he has said is Rahul has done well in tests he has played so far, which is far away from truth.

No issues with Rahul being in squad, however Shaw and Agarwal did a good job in whatever little tests they have played. They deserve the first chance ahead of Rahul. You cannot dump the opening pair that has actually performed. Let Rahul be a backup and someday he will get a chance in test playing 11 when the performing openers get injured. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The main issue for me is whether Rahul has sorted out the technical issues he has had while defending and leaving the ball in test matches, on seamer friendly tracks.

He has not been able to succeed with these issues.

If he has worked on these issues and rectified them then he may do ok.

Unpopular opinion but I  believe we can harness Rahul's true potential in LOIs