The Mumbai Thread

Cricketics

25 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

@Mariyam which food you will define as the most overrated in Bombay which you think doesn’t deserve as much attention as much as it gets?

I will add first. I think Bhel Puri, albeit great is something you can find similar in most parts of India. When I think of Bombay food, first thing I want to try is always Pav Bhaji or Vada Pav. Bhel Puri you just get tired biting. 

Not food, but the most over rated brand from Mumbai has to be Natural's ice cream.

When I was a kid, my dad used to drive us from Worli all the way to Juhu to have a Natural's Ice Cream. That was their original outlet. We *never* went to the Prabhadevi outlet ( 10 mins away). It was such a craze back in the mid/late 90s. I can't believe we all fell for that hype. Very average Ice Cream brand.

Edited by Mariyam

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Not food, but the most over rated brand from Mumbai has to be Natural's ice cream.

When I was a kid, my dad used to drive us from Worli all the way to Juhu to have a Natural's Ice Cream. That was their original outlet. We *never* went to the Prabhadevi outlet ( 10 mins away). It was such a craze back in the mid/late 90s. I can't believe we all fell for that hype. Very average Ice Cream brand.

Oh yeah, I tried that Natural’ in Delhi somewhere. Yeah it was okayish. There was another chain I noticed  - Gyani. It was also okay. Nothing special. 

14 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

When I said, Bombay street food, I was comparing it to other north Indian street food, like chaats, puris etc. What is South Indian street food for you?

I doubt we can compare, as some of them are not even available in Mumbai.  Masala puri, Churmuri (spicy version of bhel puri) Bangarpet P\p ani puri, is not available in Bombay. It is a pure Karnataka invention.

Thindi beedhi/Food street in VVPuram Bangalore

Bangalore has like umpteen varieties of Churmuri - made from the puffed rice to banana stem to pineapple. I am not sure if its available in other cities