'Delhi Chalo' movement/farmers protest

speedheat

11 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Yes I get that but where is actually written in the Bill that the MSP will be gone? Same way the CAA protestors said they feared the bill was anti Muslim and Muslims will be kicked out of the country?

The whole system currently is being control by rich middlemen who charge fees and hassle the poor farmers and this directly goes into the coffers of the Punjab state government. The fear of these seths losing their immoral incomes they have resorted to spreading misinformation to poor farmers. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGLALFAER0/?igshid=xxqwn6vw89fp Have a read of this post if you want more context.

In fact, MSP has never been mentioned in any law and govt has never been obligated to provide MSP but govt still does it by their choice.

Government should work on better communication at ground level only addressing through man ki baat(nonsensical) won't help.
Need to be cautious here this may expand  into riots like CAA protest.
Situation should be tackled in better way before it destabilize law and order situation.

22 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Yes I get that but where is actually written in the Bill that the MSP will be gone? Same way the CAA protestors said they feared the bill was anti Muslim and Muslims will be kicked out of the country

True it's nowhere written MSP will be gone . But there is big threat on present mandi system . Suppose for 1 year msp is 20 while corporate offered 21 per kg of wheat then all farmers will sell it to corporates this thing keeps happening for another 2-3 years until most mandi's are closed and arthiya's  out of business. Now suddenly corporates reduce price than msp.then farmers will have real problem as most mandi's closed and very few arthiya's to pay them msp. That's one key demand is make it a crime for private players to purchase below msp.

8 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

True it's nowhere written MSP will be gone . But there is big threat on present mandi system . Suppose for 1 year msp is 20 while corporate offered 21 per kg of wheat then all farmers will sell it to corporates this thing keeps happening for another 2-3 years until most mandi's are closed and arthiya's  out of business. Now suddenly corporates reduce price than msp.then farmers will have real problem as most mandi's closed and very few arthiya's to pay them msp. That's one key demand is make it a crime for private players to purchase below msp.

You can bet thats what will happen. Price will be good for few years till others are out of market, and then real true color will come out. 

18 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

What has Monty got to do with FramBill, questioning without knowing any details. This is how misinformation is spread globally

The Sikh community here in UK are deeply following whatever happening in Punjab regarding the Farm bills. The local Punjabi TV channels are regularly having talk shows and live broadcast from the various protest sites. It seems rest of the country didn’t realised how Punjabis are passionate about Farming. Maybe the farmers have genuine concerns or Opposition parties doing propaganda, but they are involved in it. I’m sure it’s the same in Canada and USA.

For whatever benefits these farm bills has, I don’t like BJPs approach to not communicate and build a proper foundation before passing major bills like these. Now Amit Shah will be talking to farmers when they’ve blocked Delhi roads. What’s the point?

Edited by asterix

13 hours ago, Singh bling said:

The only way to counter this threat is to ensure that private players have to pay the MSP rate to farmers which is set by the Government in the event Mandis are not functioning. Or the fact that if mandis are not there and private firms start undercutting the MSP, the government should be able to step in directly to buy the produce at MSP without the need for corrupt middlemen. So in essence I’m in agreement with you.

For years, poor farmers have born the brunt while powerful middlemen have been making money. Now that these reforms are reducing their incomes, they have decided to instigate poor farmers who genuinely want a good livelihood as per their profession. If you want to stand for farmers let’s address the root cause of their situation and disillusionment first.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, coffee_rules said:

Another angle: The person i spoke is incharge for supplying fuel to Armed forces and he at the time was extremely worried as he couldnt do shipments. GoI is not saying so as it makes position weak but now nearly a month has passed since he confirmed that they managed to replenish for winters. I kept on with holding this info till certain time has past since october.

So this protest is sinister because earlier they were blocking routes for trains and trucks. There is lot more than that meets the eye here as farmers are also in places other than Punjab and Haryana which  cutoff Rail routes to Kashmir and Laddakh

Edited by mishra

Hanuman Beniwal, Rashtriya Loktantrik Party leader: I have opposed the Centre's farm laws and today I have written a letter to Amit Shah ji that if the black laws are not revoked, then we'll think about continuing our support to NDA (National Democratic Alliance). (ANI input)

Source

902266-pjimage-1.jpg

On 11/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, speedheat said:

Government should work on better communication at ground level only addressing through man ki baat(nonsensical) won't help.
Need to be cautious here this may expand  into riots like CAA protest.
Situation should be tackled in better way before it destabilize law and order situation.

What's the incentive in doing so?

Current situation is beneficial for BJP also.

Shoma Chaudhury's interview with ag economics expert Devinder Sharma.  Very eye-opening - it has started to move my needle a bit on this issue. 

Gist:  All 22-23 major crops (not just rice and wheat) must receive MSP support.  MSP should be the law.  Corporates can enter the market, but only above the floor MSP.