Workers go on rampage in a IPhone factory in Karnataka

coffee_rules

2 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Except it isn't a single "villager."  The vandalism was done by a group of an estimated 7000. Instead of vandalism, they could have filed a lawsuit, after all, multiple parties can be part of a single lawsuit. They would win the case and could also sue for lawyer fees, et al. 

Ideally that's what should be done. Workers should be fighting the case.

But two point here - 

1. Will need some sort of organization or union. Will such union be branded as anti-development in that scenario also? Who will encourage people to fight the case? Union leaders? Leftist leaders? How long will it take? 

2. Why is there a situation where workers need to fight a legal battle for something as simple as getting fully paid? It seems company didn't bother regularizing their payroll. So, company isn't willing to abide by law of land, they aren't willing to manage their operations properly, they aren't willing to pay employees fully directly and onus is only on villagers to fight legal battle for this?

If it is really such small amount, in your eyes, then should they indulge in large scale violence? Over 100 got arrested up until now, and anyone who is caught having been involved in the violence will likely lose their jobs. These are mostly contract labourers, they aren't exactly irreplaceable by the company. Would losing one's job be a "success?"

It's few thousand rupees for a single villager. It isn't small in my eyes either. I meant for an individual it's difficult to fight legal battle for few thousand rupees. 

Should they indulge in violence? No. They committed a crime and they will be at loss for this. It's a loss scenario for all.

Furthermore, you are ignoring the other side, the side of the company. Losing Rs 26-52 crore isn't some joke. Those costs will have to be recuperated from somewhere. The cost will either be passed onto the consumer, the state government will have to compensate(at the Karnataka taxpayer's expense), or the company will cut costs to balance its budget. Is it still a "success" if the factory downsizes to say half the number of contract-labourers?  

Not paying workers isn't joke either. 

Like I mentioned it's a loss scenario for all.

But my only issue is that why all blame lies on workers only? Company is at also fault and it wasn't taking any action before this incident itself.

Why are we ok with companies exploiting workers and why is there an expectation onus in on them only to either fight or remain quiet? 

When workers did it you called thuggery, coffee_rules called it extortion. But what company was doing to workers - that's economic development? 

Since there is a threat of company downsizing, they should be given free hand to do anything. Company couldn't scale to 10k properly, but sight of expasion to 25k in future should be a reason to ignore everything. 

It won't be a success if company downsizes their workforce to half, but it will be definitely better in case they don't have capability to scale upto that level and are able to manage their operations properly after downsizing.

Expanding without capability, management and sufficient time is pointless.

Wistron accepted their mistakes ( only because of Apple put them on probation ) and fired their VP clearly shows that they screwed their employees.

This is the problem with commies , they protest for anything and everything and people lose faith on whatever they protest .

Then if there is a genuine protests , people will doubt that protests as well.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Ideally that's what should be done. Workers should be fighting the case.

But two point here - 

1. Will need some sort of organization or union.

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here when we are talking about unions, so, just to clear it up:

when I am talking about when I say a union is a formal organization that deals with labour issues. They are usually legally defined bodies with defined rights, particularly rights to negotiate on the behalf of workers within an industry/company with employers/management.

That is fundamentally different than an informal organization of workers with no legally defined rights/power. 

I don't care if workers informally organize or do peaceful strikes etc, so long as formal unions, recognized by the government and with legally defined powers, aren't created. 

The bolded is a jumping to conclusions. A union is not required to file a case. Filling a case only requires a lawyer. A lawyer or other workers can easily solicit other such workers and provide legal counsel without a union.     

Will such union be branded as anti-development in that scenario also?

It depends on who you ask. If you are asking what journalists will say, they will label the union whatever way their politics align. 

If you are asking me in particular, then, yes. All unions, as I have defined above, are anti-development and should be busted(like I stated in my original post).  That is what the evidence I have seen tells me. 

Who will encourage people to fight the case? Union leaders? Leftist leaders? How long will it take? 

It's no one's job to encourage people to fight cases. If they have an issue it's their job to find a lawyer, no one else's.  

These are grown adults, not children, that they need to be taught not to rampage when something wrong happens to them.  

t's few thousand rupees for a single villager. It isn't small in my eyes either. I meant for an individual it's difficult to fight legal battle for few thousand rupees. 

Should they indulge in violence? No. They committed a crime and they will be at loss for this. It's a loss scenario for all.

Sure it's difficult, but that is the only non-violent option they have. 

I agree it is a lose-lose scenario for both parties. 

2. Why is there a situation where workers need to fight a legal battle for something as simple as getting fully paid? It seems company didn't bother regularizing their payroll. So, company isn't willing to abide by law of land, they aren't willing to manage their operations properly, they aren't willing to pay employees fully directly and onus is only on villagers to fight legal battle for this?

That's pretty obvious isn't it? You're basically asking the equivalent of why is the onus on a robbery victim to file a case on a thief. That's how the legal system works. A thief doesn't file a case on themselves that they robbed someone.

The onus is always on the aggrieved party to file a case.  

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Not paying workers isn't joke either. 

Like I mentioned it's a loss scenario for all.

But my only issue is that why all blame lies on workers only? Company is at also fault and it wasn't taking any action before this incident itself.

Why are we ok with companies exploiting workers and why is there an expectation onus in on them only to either fight or remain quiet? 

When workers did it you called thuggery, coffee_rules called it extortion. But what company was doing to workers - that's economic development? 

I don't see any post in this thread that absolved the company of the wrong-doings they did. I think everyone here agrees that the company did the original wrong. However, the workers reacted horribly and in an extreme fashion, and I will continue to call them thugs for their behavior. They had a feasible, legal pathway to fix the issue, but they didn't. If you want to take issue with what I called them, that is up to you, it makes no difference to me. That is generally my posting style, to use blunt language. I didn't praise the company, so I don't see the issue. It's also not a big deal for me to call the company incompetent or thieves or whatever. 

Edited by Tibarn

6 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Furthermore, you are ignoring the other side, the side of the company. Losing Rs 26-52 crore isn't some joke. Those costs will have to be recuperated from somewhere. The cost will either be passed onto the consumer, the state government will have to compensate(at the Karnataka taxpayer's expense), or the company will cut costs to balance its budget. Is it still a "success" if the factory downsizes to say half the number of contract-labourers?  

company will take a hit .. 

they cant pass the cost to apple ..

13 hours ago, velu said:

company will take a hit .. 

they cant pass the cost to apple ..

State Government will take a hit as well I think. 10 cr damage of infrastructure will probably come out of the state exchequer.  

9 hours ago, Tibarn said:

State Government will take a hit as well I think. 10 cr damage of infrastructure will probably come out of the state exchequer.  

highly doubt that .. government won’t reimburse for these things 

government may lose revenue indirectly , but wistron will be the biggest loser 

If apple has not put them under probation , they might not have accepted their mistakes ..

We simply can’t blame commies for every protests , Koreans have better working conditions  for their labours than Chinese firms , but Indian industries  have far better working conditions than Koreans 

On 12/29/2020 at 4:01 PM, velu said:

samsung at it again  :giggle:

wont be surprised if northies burn samsung r & d noida , simialr thing is happening in siso as well , but cant expect any violence in samsung r&d bangalore :(( 

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Samsung-Bangalore-laying-off-employees-in-August-2020?ch=3&share=1031b596&srid=o3pT

On a lighter note, I won't mind if the said facility "disappears" because of Samsung's increasing bloatware on my phone. What kinda R&D is this :mad: