Hanuma Vihari has 4 innings to save or cement his career

neel roy

If they keep giving everyone one full homeseason then Indian might as well shut the shop.Vihari has played 11 tests which is fair number. He is going to get another two tests which should be enough to judge him. He has not looked competent against short pitch bowling that is one big negative against him. Once Jadeja is in the team , Vihari's bowling might not be needed at all. 

He looks like he is very shaky catcher as well. Unless he scores big runs in next two test, I don't think he needs to get more chances.

Question is who after these usual suspects.

A List Kohli Pujara Rahane Rohit Gill 

B List : Shaw Mayank Vihari Rahul

we dont have anybody in domestic cricket breaking doors. No one in horizon as well. The names which comes to my mind are

Abhimanyu Easwaran ( had a rubbish season last year)

Priyank Panchal

Ankit Bawne

Siddhesh Lad

Baba Aparajith

Baba Indrajith

Yashaswi Jaiswal ( not ready as of yet)

Priyam Garg ( not sure whether he can cut it from the few innings in IPL)

Sudip Chatterjee

not a single player inspires confidence or literally scoring runs for fun. In 2000s we had Amol Mazmudar, Raina, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Badrinath, Murali Vijay all these players scoring tonnes of runs outside the Indian team. Now nobody.. 

Edited by neel roy
5 minutes ago, neel roy said:

we dont have anybody in domestic cricket breaking doors. No one in horizon as well. The names which comes to my mind are

Priyank Panchal

Ankit Bawne

Siddhesh Lad

Baba Aparajith

Baba Indrajith

Sudip Chatterjee

not a single player inspires confidence or literally scoring runs for fun. In 2000s we had Amol Mazmudar, Raina, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Rahane, Badrinath, Murali Vijay all these players scoring tonnes of runs outside the Indian team. Now nobody.. 

Had a lot to do with benign pitches for domestic cricket, plus runs vs easy opposition (there was no Lahi type pitches earlier). In the last few seasons, home teams are rolling out turning tracks or green pitches. Even Rajkot is now a dust bowl for Ranji matches!

Couple of other names - Sarfaraz Khan (could well turn out to be the surprise package if mentored properly) and Rinku Singh

13 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Priyank Panchal

Ankit Bawne

Siddhesh Lad

Baba Aparajith

Baba Indrajith

Sudip Chatterjee

Frankly speaking Apart from Pujara I don't  see anyone getting retired or dropped for next 2 years at least.  Rahane will be on edge though. 

KL Vihari will likely replace anybody. 

Our batting reserves are indeed in shambles.  I have hope from Ruturaj Gaikwad to get ready in a year's time.  Don't count out guys like Ishan Kishan as well even in Test cricket. 

12 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Frankly speaking Apart from Pujara I don't  see anyone getting retired or dropped for next 2 years at least.  Rahane will be on edge though. 

KL Vihari will likely replace anybody. 

Our batting reserves are indeed in shambles.  I have hope from Ruturaj Gaikwad to get ready in a year's time.  Don't count out guys like Ishan Kishan as well even in Test cricket. 

Maybe Padikkal as well.  If Gill and Shaw establish themselves as 1 and 2, guys like Padikkal/Gaikwad/Kishan should prove their worth in the MO in domestic FC and A matches.  

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

If Vihari is one of the best talents we have in last decade then we sure have problems in batting department.

You drop a young player, from playing home series right after he wins a MoM and was the best batsman in WI. And then expect him to step up in away series in SENA. Not going to happen.

If only we had got a slightly more intelligent captain and not a joker leading us for the last 6 years. Fully backing Vihari to score runs under Rahane now.

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

You drop a young player, from playing home series right after he wins a MoM and was the best batsman in WI. And then expect him to step up in away series in SENA. Not going to happen.

If only we had got a slightly more intelligent captain and not a joker leading us for the last 6 years. Fully backing Vihari to score runs under Rahane now.

Vihari does not fit in home series so you can stop you whining there. Nothing wrong in droping Vihari from home series after WI series. It was either Vihari or Rahane. They went with Rahane in home series.

We all saw how many runs he scored last two tests. Stop blaming captain for everything.

2 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Scoring runs depends on batsman not captain. Yeah lets justify every ghada ghoda's performance by blaming the captain. 

Why drop Shaw or mayank maybe they are also out of theur depth bcoz of captain. 

Ignorance  

3 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Scoring runs depends on batsman not captain. Yeah lets justify every ghada ghoda's performance by blaming the captain. 

Why drop Shaw or mayank maybe they are also out of theur depth bcoz of captain. 

Ignorance  

Mayank and Shaw have bee  dropped after 5-6 failures and technical flaws being exposed. That's perfectly fine and justified in the development of younger batsmen. 

Our joker captain dropped Vihari immediately after he was our best batsman in WI, scored more than twice the runs scored by our genius captain and more importantly won us a test in WI. The only gadha in the team was this joker who has been our test captain for 6 years 

14 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Vihari does not fit in home series so you can stop you whining there. Nothing wrong in droping Vihari from home series after WI series. It was either Vihari or Rahane. They went with Rahane in home series.

We all saw how many runs he scored last two tests. Stop blaming captain for everything.

One word - cheerleader 

/end

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

One word - cheerleader 

/end

I have told you many times, stop blaming captain for everything. If Kohli stinks like he did in NZ , I would be first person to call him out. Unlike you I don't have any personal bias for or against any particular player.

Rahane after winning one test does not become a great captain.

There is no way Kohli or any captain would pick Vihari over Jadeja for home matches.

From now on, they have also understood that it is a risky situation to go with four bowlers in a test match, so an all-rounder is needed and the current version of Jadeja is a capable one.

Clearly, our five batsman if everyone is fit from now on gonna be Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Gill. 

Mayank will be backup opener, Vihari backup middle order, KL don't know and Shaw probably has to fix his technical flaws now.

Edited by Majestic
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

There is no way Kohli or any captain would pick Vihari over Jadeja for home matches.

From now on, they have also understood that it is a risky situation to go with four bowlers in a test match, so an all-rounder is needed and the current version of Jadeja is a capable one.

Clearly, our five batsman if everyone is fit from now on gonna be Rohit, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Gill. 

Mayank will be backup opener, Vihari backup middle order, KL don't know and Shaw probably has to fix his technical flaws now.

Yes spot on. Anyways in a 16 member test squad you might have these 5 plus Mayank,Vihari as batsmen. Ashwin, Kuldeep,Jadeja as spinners. Pant as Wk. Bumrah,Shami, Ishant,Umesh, Siraj as fast bowlers. 

12 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Right, lets see some facts :police:kp724s028p761.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s=88370626ab4cd8b1b9d1312a34f1a0a1aa49904d

You see his 33 Average, I see that he played 1 match in the subcontinent and 11 matches outside the subcontinent.

Playing 11 matches out of 12 outside home venue is never easy at the test level.

Here's KL's record btw which is even worse than Vihari.

1922550579_Screenshotfrom2021-01-0706-46-12.png.c771bde27b56113a811a95192621473a.png

You were speaking about facts?:laugh:

20 hours ago, Adamant said:

No Vihari isn't better than Rahul. 

Both of them have struggled away from home but atleast with KL we know that his ceiling is much higher if he is mentally prepared. 

Numbers say otherwise. I do agree that KL looks better to the eye when batting.

KL averages 29.5 away from India in 22 Tests. Vihari averages more even though he played 11 out of his 12 tests away from home.

Which is why I keep saying that Vihari needs to play one season at home ahead of Rahul as he has played only 1 test at home and 11 tests away from home.