This will never, ever happen. But eff the Ozzies and kick them out of IPL

Overreaction :phehe: Smith, Warner, Stoinis, Cummins, are essential part of their franchises and franchises dont care about stuff like this. Smith may have erased the markings but it is not cheating more like a silly thing to do for an ex-captain who was stripped of the captaincy due to sandpaper gate. This incident only shows how low he can go and as a senior member, its not a good look for him. Warner is more thankful for SRH to keep believing in him when sandpapergate was fresh in the minds of Australian public and everyone there were baying for his blood. Watson won an IPL final and almost another one for CSK. When he played for Australia, I used to hate him for being such a flog. Same with Hayden. IPL doesn't care about silly feelings. It cares about performances. Probably its the most meritocratic tournament in the whole wide world.

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Overreaction :phehe: Smith, Warner, Stoinis, Cummins, are essential part of their franchises and franchises dont care about stuff like this. Smith may have erased the markings but it is not cheating more like a silly thing to do for an ex-captain who was stripped of the captaincy due to sandpaper gate. This incident only shows how low he can go and as a senior member, its not a good look for him. Warner is more thankful for SRH to keep believing in him when sandpapergate was fresh in the minds of Australian public and everyone there were baying for his blood. Watson won an IPL final and almost another one for CSK. When he played for Australia, I used to hate him for being such a flog. Same with Hayden. IPL doesn't care about silly feelings. It cares about performances. Probably its the most meritocratic tournament in the whole wide world.

Australia in 80s and 90s were more merciless with sledging and bullying, they didn't even spare Viv Richards. They love being tough and that is why playing against them is an experience, it either breaks you or brings the best out of you.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

2nd Point IPL is a platform not only to these player but for youngster to learn something from international stars. Just think of someone like a jaiswal who wud be learning so much from being with smith for 2 months or tyagi bowling to world best test batsman day in day out. How much of an insight wud nagarkotti, krishna, warrier, mavi have picked up from Cummins in 2 months 

:winky:  Hope really useful tricks shared !  Have not heard any one really talking about Cummins  The prominent one i heard perhaps was about steyn's help  !

11 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Australia in 80s and 90s were more merciless with sledging and bullying, they didn't even spare Viv Richards. They love being tough and that is why playing against them is an experience, it either breaks you or brings the best out of you.

I'm not sure who called Viv a black bast@rd but Viv took it in his stride and gave it back with sixes and total pwnage to the Aussies in return. IIRC it was either AB or the crowd. If it was AB, then that is downright racism from the opponent. But Viv or Haynes who opened for WI in the late 80s/early 90s said AB is the nicest guy off the field. Their were monkey chants and bananas from the crowd and it almost brought Holding to tears in his first tour in 76. That was the starting point of the fearsome foursome of the WI that dominated for close to 2 decades. viv said in an interview with WTD that the Aus players are tough in the match but after the match, they will come to the WI dressing room with beer crates and have fun talking

Edited by Real McCoy
48 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'm not sure who called Viv a black bast@rd but Viv took it in his stride and gave it back with sixes and total pwnage to the Aussies in return. IIRC it was either AB or the crowd. If it was AB, then that is downright racism from the opponent. But Viv or Haynes who opened for WI in the late 80s/early 90s said AB is the nicest guy off the field. Their were monkey chants and bananas from the crowd and it almost brought Holding to tears in his first tour in 76. That was the starting point of the fearsome foursome of the WI that dominated for close to 2 decades. viv said in an interview with WTD that the Aus players are tough in the match but after the match, they will come to the WI dressing room with beer crates and have fun talking

Very true. That's how they play their game and take pride in it. The fact that they were not scared of sledging Viv says it all.

Another incident was when I think the late Dean Jones or Mark Taylor tried to irritate Curtly Ambrose by asking him to remove his wrist band, Curtly got so pissed off that he showered unplayable off cutters to Aussie batsmen.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

said AB is the nicest guy off the field.

Can't believe this is going to be my first post here, but let me stop you right there.

Read this about Allan Border:

Sometime in 1979 in Kanpur, the Australian cricketers had come up with a plan to break their boredom. They would queue up in front of the hotel windows and throw money out on the streets. Even as people below would scramble for the money, the players would empty a bucketful of water on them. They called it “Raining Rupees”. In his 1986 book, Allan Border mentions the shenanigans from the tour: “We took to dropping rupees and watch them scramble .We would fill up all the available receptacles in the hotel room with water, drop the coins and whoosh!”

https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/icc-cricket-australia-ball-tampering-steve-smith-ban-5112352/

Smith do have some issues (idk what to call it)  where he does this kind of stuff and he has habit of shadow practicing. Not really as big deal as people are making it on media & social media. He did it when umpires were around as well nor pitch condition was damaged. Agree he has no business to do this but not really big deal. Also i have seen bowlers do the same many times as well.

Naah, not needed. The international rivalry should not affect brand IPL. The two boards share great professional relationship and it should continue that way.  Banter on the field should remain there as last ng as there is no malice intended.

Aussie players do add a lot of star power to IPL, despite many of them being pretty average. Warner, Smith, Maxwell, Cummins, Starc (if available), Finch - these are all big names. No one from any other country will be such big draws

14 minutes ago, sorak said:

Can't believe this is going to be my first post here, but let me stop you right there.

https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/icc-cricket-australia-ball-tampering-steve-smith-ban-5112352/

That may be true since Viv himself alleged Border to have called him a black bast@rd. I was just not sure if it was him or the crowd but from this article, it surely must be him

20 minutes ago, sorak said:

Holy crap.  Thanks for opening my eyes.  While watching the match yesterday, I was thinking about brutish Ozzies and thinking AB and his team were the exception.  Adding them to my hate-list too.  To the top of my hate-list.  What a bunch of pigs.  Now they come lusting after IPL money.  Maybe IPL owners should line up and throw wads of INRs at these guys as wages for entertaining us.

32 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Very true. That's how they play their game and take pride in it. The fact that they were not scared of sledging Viv says it all.

Another incident was when I think the late Dean Jones or Mark Taylor tried to irritate Curtly Ambrose by asking him to remove his wrist band, Curtly got so pissed off that he showered unplayable off cutters to Aussie batsmen.

It was Dean jones. even in this video after all these years, he uses the word "critters" to describe fast bowlers. that may well be interpreted as racism considering it was a black West indian he was describing.

I'm all for taking pride and showing no fear in facing Viv Richards but they have to behave in a global stage where you have more than just Aussies. Currently about 10 test playing countries are playing and they can't just say "this is how we are and we are not willing to change it as its part of our culture". That tells other cultures that Aussies are an arrogant pieces of shite and racist bogans. Many educated aussies have come to hate this blokey culture and calling them for what they are.

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Smith is not that great in t20s anyway neither is root. I hope csk doesnt buy him . we usually accept washed up players :mad:

I would have Steve Smith over Kedar Jadhav and (forgive me lord) Rayudu and Thala himself in my T20 team any day.

Edited by maniac