Jump to content
coffee_rules

IPL captains should not captain/VC the national side

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Mohit was not international class. Aus thrashed him in the SF and was one of the reasons for India's downfall. 

We are not talking if picks were deserving. It leaves a window of conflict of interest on the captain. IPL jobs and national jobs should be separated. Just like how Dravid  gave up his IPL job for his NCA chairman job. 

i

Aussies smashed Zak and Srinath in 2003 finals too. Were they not international class.  You cannot hide in international cricket. You need to perform to stay in the team. Mohit Sharma did okay in that world cup. Who should have been playing in his place.

 

Dravid gave up IPl position for NCA position after his playing career was over.So it is not same comparision.

 

 

Edited by putrevus
Link to post
2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Aussies smashed Zak and Srinath in 2003 finals too. Were they not international class.  You cannot hide in international cricket. You need to perform to stay in the team. Mohit Sharma did okay in that world cup. Who should have been playing in his place.

 

Dravid gave up IPl position for NCA position after his playing career was over.So it is not same comparision.

 

 

 

Are you seriously comparing Zak/Srinath to Mhoit Sharma? They established careers before or after the event and proved their worth. Whereas Mohit was proven not worthy of International matches and fizzled out of contention. 

Another example is the selection of Shivam Dube. He is an IPL failure as well. But donned India colors for some reason nobody knows and was even propped up to #3 in ODIs/T20Is by Kohli. Shameful.

 

 

Link to post
58 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

 

Are you seriously comparing Zak/Srinath to Mhoit Sharma? They established careers before or after the event and proved their worth. Whereas Mohit was proven not worthy of International matches and fizzled out of contention. 

 

Selection dont work like that, Mohit was one of the better options avl that time....its easy to say now but u still cudnt comeup with one name who shud have been selected if not him. Not every cricketer has a long career some do well in short career and reality is he was good in that Wc 

 

Quote

Another example is the selection of Shivam Dube. He is an IPL failure as well. But donned India colors for some reason nobody knows and was even propped up to #3 in ODIs/T20Is by Kohli. Shameful.

 

 

 

:facepalm:Everyone knows the reason 

 

  • Pandya was injured so a seaming all rounder who can tonk the ball was needed
  • Dube had an exceptional domestic n India A season

 

the day he promoted at 3, he ran away with the game against WI in wankhade . It was good on kohli to send him up .

 

Understand one thing that selection works on Demand and supply. If the demand is off seaming all rounder then Shankar , dube will be selected specially if they have had perfomance which both had. Same was case with mohit , they needed seamers and at that time he was one of the better options others were aaron, dhawal, unadkat

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
Link to post
18 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

 

Selection dont work like that, Mohit was one of the better options avl that time....its easy to say now but u still cudnt comeup with one name who shud have been selected if not him. Not every cricketer has a long career some do well in short career and reality is he was good in that Wc 

 

 

:facepalm:Everyone knows the reason 

 

  • Pandya was injured so a seaming all rounder who can tonk the ball was needed
  • Dube had an exceptional domestic n India A season

 

the day he promoted at 3, he ran away with the game against WI in wankhade . It was good on kohli to send him up .

 

Understand one thing that selection works on Demand and supply. If the demand is off seaming all rounder then Shankar , dube will be selected specially if they have had perfomance which both had. Same was case with mohit , they needed seamers and at that time he was one of the better options others were aaron, dhawal, unadkat


How many seaming allrounders of high quality has india produced since 1996 (Prabhakar. Kapil retired in 1994)?

Link to post
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

 

Selection dont work like that, Mohit was one of the better options avl that time....its easy to say now but u still cudnt comeup with one name who shud have been selected if not him. Not every cricketer has a long career some do well in short career and reality is he was good in that Wc 

 

 

:facepalm:Everyone knows the reason 

 

  • Pandya was injured so a seaming all rounder who can tonk the ball was needed
  • Dube had an exceptional domestic n India A season

 

the day he promoted at 3, he ran away with the game against WI in wankhade . It was good on kohli to send him up .

 

Understand one thing that selection works on Demand and supply. If the demand is off seaming all rounder then Shankar , dube will be selected specially if they have had perfomance which both had. Same was case with mohit , they needed seamers and at that time he was one of the better options others were aaron, dhawal, unadkat


So according to you every selection in playing 11 is warranted, and some work and some don’t?  I feel some of selections like Dube were dubious (no pun) and we need a check in who gets to play in playing x1. Anyway, let me do that homework.

Link to post
9 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

It is a conflict of interest. Kohli and Dhoni got a lot of their teammates into the national side. Sometimes, at the cost of others. Our ODI team is full of IPL stars. T20 team, ok it is natural. They have to recognize ODis is a different ball game.

 

Boot out Kohli from ODIs/T20s. Phase him out of Test captaincy where we get back gun Kohli at the helm.

Discuss.

 

If we are to boot Kohli from captaincy, we need a viable alternative: a player who is virtually certain to be picked for the next 4-5 years if fit and mostly fit ( unless their form falls off catastrophically). Cant have musical chairs for captaincy. In Tests the only candidate is the vice captain: Rahane. Who would be such a candidate for LOIs and T20s ?

Link to post
57 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

 

If we are to boot Kohli from captaincy, we need a viable alternative: a player who is virtually certain to be picked for the next 4-5 years if fit and mostly fit ( unless their form falls off catastrophically). Cant have musical chairs for captaincy. In Tests the only candidate is the vice captain: Rahane. Who would be such a candidate for LOIs and T20s ?

 

For now:

LOIs/T20Is - Rohit now and KL in the future

Tests - rahane

 

He can focus on batting more and win us a ICC Trophy. This is to address our ICC Trophy drought since 2013.  He can captain RCB one last time and get his coveted IPL title free of any pressure then. This will also make @Gollum stop posting about winless ICC trophies era under manhoos BJP rule. 

 

Jokes apart, this is good for Indian cricket. 

Edited by coffee_rules
Link to post
1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

 

For now:

LOIs/T20Is - Rohit

Tests - rahane

 

He can focus on batting more and win us a ICC Trophy. This is to address our ICC Trophy drought since 2013.  He can captain RCB one last time and get his coveted IPL title free of any pressure then. This will also make @Gollum stop posting about winless ICC trophies era under manhoos BJP rule. 

 

Jokes apart, this is good for Indian cricket. 

 

Well, as a default, right back to the Lara- Tendulkar era, i dont believe in making your best batsman the captain. Too much riding on the shoulders of one man that way. So i would agree. 

 

What we need and as Rahane is showing us- we need a BOWLERS captain, as its bowlers who win matches and all the great captains in the world history have been bowlers captains. So we need to groom someone for that for the future as well.

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

  

What has that got to do with current selection ? If u need a seaming all rounder next series will u go to history book n check or do the required selection ? 

 


doesn’t work that way. You go for the next best option which is a batsman who can bowl a few overs like Vihari or a bowler who can bat decently like Thakur. We did ok after Prabhakar. We fluked out for a while with Pathan after what 10 years and the Pandya v1 that experiment had mixed results.

 

I am sold on Pandya for now as he has evolved into a fantastic batsman with great temperament. So if he can bowl like he used to will be a huge upgrade. Even then jury is still out in tests.

 

In between Bangar,Binny,Robin Singh experiment hardly lasted . 
 

Indian selectors best performance was between 2000-2014ish and guess what hardly any seam allrounder got  in.

Edited by maniac
Link to post
5 hours ago, maniac said:


doesn’t work that way. You go for the next best option which is a batsman who can bowl a few overs like Vihari or a bowler who can bat decently like Thakur.

 

Nope u dnt, someone as special as gill efficency  doesnt remain even half if he bats at 7. Look around the world they play cdgh not young batsman like will young. Even guys like mitch marsh , henqiues play not phllipe . 

Forget thakur batting his bowling numbers will make it tough to get him a place . His eco is in shambles 

 

 

5 hours ago, maniac said:

 

We did ok after Prabhakar. We fluked out for a while with Pathan after what 10 years and the Pandya v1 that experiment had mixed results.

 

Demands were diff with prabhakar days . RR needed those days were diff and pathan had a good career. 

 

 

 

5 hours ago, maniac said:

I am sold on Pandya for now as he has evolved into a fantastic batsman with great temperament. So if he can bowl like he used to will be a huge upgrade. Even then jury is still out in tests.

 

In between Bangar,Binny,Robin Singh experiment hardly lasted . 
 

 

Robin singh did whatever best he cud and at the end its about balance. U cant have ome batsman short these days when teams are going for depth like england neither u cant compromise on bowling

 

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Indian selectors best performance was between 2000-2014ish and guess what hardly any seam allrounder got  in.

Pathan played a huge role in that phase....and then for a brief period yuvi did all rounder job. Also rules of those days were in favour of part timers which heped our batsman spinner which wnt anymore. 

Link to post
7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:


So according to you every selection in playing 11 is warranted, and some work and some don’t?

 

Yes , thats how it is. U cant be 100% sure who will succedd for long time. 

 

For eg i knw rana has major issues against fast bowling but if im a selector and he keeps performing and their is a need for his kind of bowler ill give him a trying despite having an opinion that he will struggle big time 

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

 

 I feel some of selections like Dube were dubious (no pun) and we need a check in who gets to play in playing x1. Anyway, let me do that homework.

 

 

Link to post
7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

 

If we are to boot Kohli from captaincy, we need a viable alternative: a player who is virtually certain to be picked for the next 4-5 years if fit and mostly fit ( unless their form falls off catastrophically). Cant have musical chairs for captaincy. In Tests the only candidate is the vice captain: Rahane. Who would be such a candidate for LOIs and T20s ?

Rohit Sharma in ODIs and T20s.

 

He 's shown what it takes to lead a side to wins. In the IPL and the Asia cup.

And groom Bumrah as the Vice Captain to take over in 2-3 years when Rohit Sharma retires.

 

Hardik Pandya would be a back up option.

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Rohit Sharma in ODIs and T20s.

 

He 's shown what it takes to lead a side to wins. In the IPL and the Asia cup.

And groom Bumrah as the Vice Captain to take over in 2-3 years when Rohit Sharma retires.

 

Hardik Pandya would be a back up option.

Agreed about all except Bumrah. IMO fast bowlers are way too injury prone to be captaincy material. Only ones i ever saw have a decent run as a captain was Walsh and Imran Khan- with Khan being a part time bowler and batting allrounder when he was captain for the most part and Walsh had a better tha McGrath type reputation for durability. 

 

This is why captaincy gravitates towards the non-bowlers - its very hard to find a bowler who isnt gonna miss 1 of every 5 tests or so. 

 

Edited by Muloghonto
Link to post
10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

 

Are you seriously comparing Zak/Srinath to Mhoit Sharma? They established careers before or after the event and proved their worth. Whereas Mohit was proven not worthy of International matches and fizzled out of contention. 

Another example is the selection of Shivam Dube. He is an IPL failure as well. But donned India colors for some reason nobody knows and was even propped up to #3 in ODIs/T20Is by Kohli. Shameful.

 

 

What is your point. why are blaming Mohit Sharma's selection on being friends with Dhoni. Mohit Sharma did well for his talent, Not every player needs to have long career. Your point is ridiculous.

 

Shivam Dubey got selected because he was medium pace allrounder just like Stuart Binny and Pandya. There is no mystery behind his selection. Stop looking for faults when there is none,

Edited by putrevus
Link to post
7 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

For being thoroughly incompetent as proved first in NZ and then in Aus. Rahane's shown him the mirror. Any honorable person would be shamed into quitting, to let the better leader take over

Which moron said he is incompetent. He has highest winning percentage for any Indian captain.  He is reason behind this team's successs. He is 100 times better captain than Rahane ever will be. 

Edited by putrevus
Link to post
5 hours ago, putrevus said:

Which moron said he is incompetent. He has highest winning percentage for any Indian captain.  He is reason behind this team's successs. He is 100 times better captain than Rahane ever will be. 

Lol once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader. If he's the reason behind team's success, why isn't he responsible for the shameful surrender in NZ and for 36 all out? The 10 times better captain claim got punctured with the grit shown by Rahane. No wonder he's the enemy number one for the Kohli cheerleaders

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...