One overlooked impact of Tendulkar on Indian cricket

maniac

10 hours ago, zen said:

Vinoo Mankad used to sleep outside the stadiums to play cricket, inspiring cricketers ...  the 4 great spinners created a culture for spinners  .... Gavaskar, Kapil, along with others in the team of 80s, have touched millions .... Dhoni continues to make an impact on youngsters and cricketers ... and here we again see a blind spot for the contributions of others and incorrectly attempting to attribute such commonalities to one player  :no:

sachin came at the perfect time of advertising and capitalism boom. I think that's what OP is trying to say. Before him Kapil was the super star but most of his time was in the radio age.

Sachin was plastered on every screen with the TV and media boom and was young enough for a young indian population to identify with.  A generation of Indians became obsessed with him. It was also the perfect time when india was moving from abject times to a better time, so there was a feeling of hope which combined with nationalistic feeling. 

It was a perfect combination of many different factors and timings which caused the fan following of Sachin. The previous players just missed that. The next set of superstars continued from that. But there is no doubt the big boom of sponsorships and media attention started with Sachin 

4 hours ago, zen said:

There is no hate for Tendulkar but people are only giving a contrary opinion and pointing out the behavior (cowardly at times) of some of his fanboys :dontknow:

weird how contrary opinions happen with you every SINGLE time. As if sachin is the worst player ever. How does that saying go? Before complaining about the speck in your brothers eyes, remove the beam in yours?

I disagree about the fan behavior, most of the times its just a reaction to irrational hatred towards one of our biggest legends 

Edited by New guy
26 minutes ago, New guy said:

weird how contrary opinions happen with you every SINGLE time. As if sachin is the worst player ever. How does that saying go? Before complaining about the speck in your brothers eyes, remove the beam in yours?

I disagree about the fan behavior, most of the times its just a reaction to irrational hatred towards one of our biggest legends 

My position has always been clear that Sachin is one of the best (among my favorites too) but there are players that are as good or better than him. My difference of opinion is with those who try to hype up Sachin to portray him as the best while constantly trying to undermine other greats. 

My opinion with respect to inspirational sportsman is similar too as posted earlier. Here too is a thread that tries to portray him as someone well beyond anyone else irrespective of his performances (which are like others therefore the need for such threads)

I am also against the portrayal of individuals as Gods (not just Sachin),  building their temples and so on. If individuals are unnecessarily hyped up (Is it marketing influenced by Sachin himself? We may not know) people will point always towards the other direction

I have bigger favorite players too, who get attacked all the time here. I do not try to portray them as Gods

Edited by zen
15 hours ago, maniac said:

lolwut? I thought responsibility is the word associated with paying taxes.

Yes I have fulfilled my responsibility. has the govt used the money they got from taxes to create jobs or fed the poor homeless people. Why should I, a middle class man has to bear the burden of "charity". What have you done for charity. my guess is zero. so you are not one to talk. keep putting a cricketer on a pedestal. i'm surprised you haven't built a temple of Sachin in US.

Sachin fully deserves his God status. 

For one, even his contemporary rivals like Lara and Mark Waugh said they couldn't imagine batting under the pressure Sachin did, with 1 billion highly cricket crazy fans watching his every stroke, let alone been a great.

Second, even people like Obama have been on record saying its inconceivable how ONE MAN playing cricket has a measurable impact on the ENTIRE Indian stock market, with stock activity declining by as much as 2% while he batted and rebounding with 1-2% zeal if he & india did well.

Such a man, with so much influence, while being one of the quitest, most soft-spoken person and steering clear of any controversy, while being the ideal ethical role model for children ( as opposed the womanizing, philandering & partying types like Lara or Viv) is as close to being a God a human will ever come to.

Sachin's story makes one wonder.

We as a society have given up on our systems to such an extent that only individual geniuses, who would no doubt have to slog through immeasurable difficulties to reach where they are, are always cherished ( as they should be), but the lack of systems in place to groom talent doesn't bother us.

I think this is the broader point that @maniac was trying to get at. If you are gifted, you still needed to prove yourself at every level before you could make it big. People like Sachin have changed India's mindset to some extent. There is *some* institutionalisation of talent nurturing now from a very early age.