The new Hardik Pandya

Vk1

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Nah, Doesnt matter whether its home or away, at this point, Jadeja HAS to be in the team, period. And so does Ashwin when fit. These two are in top 4-5 bowlers of India consistently - in form for quite a while and would be hard to argue that anyone else except Ishant, Bumrah and Shami are going to be better in england or india or china than Jadeja and Ashwin. 

I think its high time India unleashed its true potential- the 3+2 combo. Jadeja has earned the right to bat in the top 6-7 and Provided Pant CAN maintain a 40+ average, it becomes very easy to Justify Jadeja >> 4th pacer/Pandya in the top 7 as the allrounder.

playing both of them becomes tricky if we lose toss and opp bats first and on Day 1 and 2 not much help wud be der for RJ.

Lol no way. First of all his bowling was crap, unable to control his swing and was all over the place. And his batting was not to the level of Pandya or Jaddu or Even Sundar. He is more of Bhuvi Ajit agarkar types, definitely not our No 6

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Pandya has done nothing in test cricket to get a nod over this guy.

Shardul has shown us that his selection has not happened due to the influence of mumbai lobby. (Though it's not a first choice selection).     He is very calm under pressure and can become the all rounder we are looking for.     

35 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Nah, Doesnt matter whether its home or away, at this point, Jadeja HAS to be in the team, period. And so does Ashwin when fit. These two are in top 4-5 bowlers of India consistently - in form for quite a while and would be hard to argue that anyone else except Ishant, Bumrah and Shami are going to be better in england or india or china than Jadeja and Ashwin. 

I think its high time India unleashed its true potential- the 3+2 combo. Jadeja has earned the right to bat in the top 6-7 and Provided Pant CAN maintain a 40+ average, it becomes very easy to Justify Jadeja >> 4th pacer/Pandya in the top 7 as the allrounder.

Jadeja has to play every test match everywhere.

Ashwin has been breaking down after 2 or 3 tests in the last few overseas series.

We need to use him judiciously ...  in tests where he can be more effective.

4 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Shardul has shown us that his selection has not happened due to the influence of mumbai lobby. (Though it's not a first choice selection).     He is very calm under pressure and can become the all rounder we are looking for.     

I don't think they were wrong in giving Shardul a test debut over Siraj. If Pandya wants to play test cricket, let him play FC cricket and then make a comeback by performing there.

Edited by putrevus

Good knock but cant pick him in tests because he can bat because i dont think he is good enough to play as a regular batsman consistently. Needs to prove a lot more to be able to do that. As a bowler also, you cant pick him over the likes of Ishant, Shami, Bumrah, Bhuvneswar or even Jadeja or Ashwin. If he improves his bowling, can be a handy all rounder in LOIs.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Jadeja has to play every test match everywhere.

Ashwin has been breaking down after 2 or 3 tests in the last few overseas series.

We need to use him judiciously ...  in tests where he can be more effective.

Yeah that is what i meant- if Fit, Ravi Ashwin slots in as #1 spinner, Jadeja as #1 allrounder & Bumrah as #1 bower. Shami-Ishant auto-select themselves at this point when fit. 

I liked the performance of Thakur and Sundar today but lets not go overboard here. Them and Pandya are all fighting for that allrounder spot currently owned by Jadeja in tests. If you ask any of these to bat in the top 5, then the pressure will be on them and they can't get out like Thakur did today. Everybody was on Mayank today because he played at 5 and played an irresponsible shot today so did Rohit at the opening position yesterday. That will be the case for any of these if they bat at top 5 or even 6. Coming in at 7/8, its understandable that they played the way they did and good on them for the gritty performance. they showed the top order that there are no demons on this pitch and if they applied their mind, we could be in a much better position.

Manjrekar made an important point regarding this. He said if the main bowlers are back on, Thakur will not retain his spot and Sundar can only make it as a replacement for either Jadeja/Ashwin. That seems a decent take on things. We have an unprecedented situation in the team right now. The bowling is good with backup also good but batting is a bit thin. We are seeing a decline in run production and the replacements are also unknown and unproven. I credit Kohli for supporting our bowlers (only good thing he has done IMO :phehe:) but also opens up for the weird situation a few tests ago when we crumbled for 36.

We need better batters and Kohli need to pick them. Gone are the days when batsmen and bowlers debuted in their early 20s. They will only learn the tricks of the trade if they are introduced early. Gill is a good start in that direction. We need more to challenge the opening spot, Rahane and Puajra if we are to challenge every side home and away. Last season in NZ was a disaster. This tour started with a disaster and rests in balance after 3 days into the final test. I don't think we can challenge England in England with this sort of reactive thought process.