Give Rahane Captaincy and Ashwin Vice Captaincy right now

On 1/19/2021 at 6:28 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Problem is that Rahane does just enough to stay in the 11. A great innings followed by a sequence of bad ones, and then just when you think he might be replaced, he will come up with another good knock. If he can get more consistent, then it will be worth considering whether he should lead in the longer term. I hope he can score big against England.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:22 AM, RajBan said:

I agree with this. There is no clear replacement for him at 5. Agarwal or Vihari is a contender but they have been equally inconsistent and should not be a sure shot in the 11 if not performing. Rohit will open in Indian pitches and should do well as well. Given that Rahane is going to be there in the mix for next 6 months atleast, he should be the captain for now. Not just he is a better leader, it will also allow Kohli to focus on his Test batting where he has underperformed by his standards in last 18 months.

ALso we should start thinking about  a succession plan in couple of years as Rahane, Ashwin, Pujara, Rohit all will likely reach the end phase of their Test career with Kohli not far behind.

But if he can’t perform consistently when all he has to do is bat, he could be in real trouble if he is India’s captain in the longer term. Also, the longer he leads, his moves will become easier to predict . So, let’s not get carried away with what he did in 3 or 4 games. I think Rahane should raise his own game as a batsman before he is allowed to lead for the longer term. Hopefully he really does well against England.

1 hour ago, kirkutfan said:

But if he can’t perform consistently when all he has to do is bat, he could be in real trouble if he is India’s captain in the longer term. Also, the longer he leads, his moves will become easier to predict . So, let’s not get carried away with what he did in 3 or 4 games. I think Rahane should raise his own game as a batsman before he is allowed to lead for the longer term. Hopefully he really does well against England.

Rahane even if becomes captain will be a transitional one and not a long term. I think he offers more than Kohli as a captain without the chest pumping and media distraction that puts Kohli over the team and negates the spirit to an extent. Personally I will also like somebody who is graceful in loss and humble in win. The way he established connection with the junior team members is something reminded me of Ganguly even though styles are very different. The way he gracefully treated Nathan Lyon left the bowler spellbound after all the tu tu main main in the middle. Lyon was totally confused how to handle such scenarios. I think Kohli goes overboard with his style, either he comes up with cliched dialogues given by his PR manager or some useless comment. His aggression has its usage at times but he lacks the intellect of when to express it and when not.

You are correct though that Rahane's inconsistencies raises questions against his selection at times, hence he can't be somebody for whom we can have a plan for 5-7 years. 

3 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

Problem is that Rahane does just enough to stay in the 11. A great innings followed by a sequence of bad ones, and then just when you think he might be replaced, he will come up with another good knock. If he can get more consistent, then it will be worth considering whether he should lead in the longer term. I hope he can score big against England.

reality is there arent enough to even push him out of the team

6 hours ago, RajBan said:

Rahane even if becomes captain will be a transitional one and not a long term. I think he offers more than Kohli as a captain without the chest pumping and media distraction that puts Kohli over the team and negates the spirit to an extent. Personally I will also like somebody who is graceful in loss and humble in win. The way he established connection with the junior team members is something reminded me of Ganguly even though styles are very different. The way he gracefully treated Nathan Lyon left the bowler spellbound after all the tu tu main main in the middle. Lyon was totally confused how to handle such scenarios. I think Kohli goes overboard with his style, either he comes up with cliched dialogues given by his PR manager or some useless comment. His aggression has its usage at times but he lacks the intellect of when to express it and when not.

You are correct though that Rahane's inconsistencies raises questions against his selection at times, hence he can't be somebody for whom we can have a plan for 5-7 years. 

I think we have a tendency to like what we don’t have. If our captains are too quiet, we wish we could have someone who would fight and give it back. Then, when we get someone who does that we yearn for the quiet and dignified type. As far as PR comments go, they all say the same things like “We follow our processes” and stuff like that. We don’t really know what goes on amongst players. Even on the coaching front we get deceived by appearances. We just assume that Shastri knows nothing about the game, because he looks like the brash guy with the beer bottle. Kumble, the opposite. 

47 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

I think we have a tendency to like what we don’t have. If our captains are too quiet, we wish we could have someone who would fight and give it back. Then, when we get someone who does that we yearn for the quiet and dignified type. As far as PR comments go, they all say the same things like “We follow our processes” and stuff like that. We don’t really know what goes on amongst players. Even on the coaching front we get deceived by appearances. We just assume that Shastri knows nothing about the game, because he looks like the brash guy with the beer bottle. Kumble, the opposite. 

I agree with you to an extent. Perception and reality can be different. But then again personally I am not a big fan of Kohli's style on ground. To taunt the crowd, needless thumping is something that we do without in my opinion. I liked his aggression 10 yrs back when he broke into the main team but feel right now it only distracts the team form their goals by dragging them into things that can be managed differently.

The 2 Captain theory discussion is growing louder than ever isnt it?

While I still feel these are early days, Kohli can continue to captain the White ball games, but there is a possibility to hand over the Red ball Test Captaincy to Rahane in the near future

On 1/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Lol his place in the side as a player is questionable and you want to make him captain.

If he has 2 mediocre series after this with the bat, everyone will have already forgotten about wanting to make him captain and say he needs to be dropped.

After winning the 3 rd test practically on his own, his position is questionable. What are these guys smoking ?

Captain should first be a sure starter in every game. No way is Rahane a sure starter in Indian conditions, even in SENA if we look at his post-2015 record objectively. On greentops I won't play Ashwin and even though he is a gun bowler in all conditions now, can't trust his fitness to last a full series. Both ruled out IMO. 

Players who should be sure starters in our test team:

Gill (too young)

Pujara

Kohli

Pant (too young)

Jaddu

Bumrah

Shami

Can't give it to quicks since we must manage their workload. Jaddu has landed in many controversies in the past and doesn't strike me as a leader. 

Kohli's only competitor is Pujara. 

Much easier to remove him from white ball captaincy, Rohit must get his due.