Make Pant open in ODI , if he fails then give him no.4 ...dont waste him anymore

3 minutes ago, Hell Raiser said:

Totally agree with OP. He can literally destroy bowling attacks on his day. With field restriction on, he can really take the game away from the opposition quickly.

But for this to happen our team management should show some patience and give him licence to go for his shots. Its a gutsy and attacking move but can we expect this from our captain and coach who like to play defensive cricket and are totally happy with 45-0 in 10 overs kind of starts.

More important question, are we as fans willing to bear a few losses to make the necessary changes in team balance?

Look at ICF for example, the moment we lose even dead rubbers, people lose their mind and start attacking the team management.

Not under Kohli as captain please. If it means a wait till 2023 WC or till the time Kohli gets sacked as the captain so be it.

Post the 2019 Aus tour, Kohli along with his chamchas in TM were out to systematically destroy Pant's career and I don't see him changing his attitude towards Pant. I doubt if Pant will ever play as freely under captain choker as he did under Rahane. The man has ZERO man management skills and should not be leading even a club side with his terrible leadership skills.

2 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

More important question, are we as fans willing to bear a few losses to make the necessary changes in team balance?

Look at ICF for example, the moment we lose even dead rubbers, people lose their mind and start attacking the team management.

Thats exactly what I meant by saying that team management and fans need to show patience. They need to identify requirements for each spot and then identify players who fulfill those requirements and then give a lengthy run irrespective of their returns.

Our tm just plans for the short term rather than looking at the bigger picture. 2023 wc is in india. We need to be aggressive upfront on these flat pitches otherwise we can be outbatted by a team like England in KO game.

Just now, Hell Raiser said:

Thats exactly what I meant by saying that team management and fans need to show patience. They need to identify requirements for each spot and then identify players who fulfill those requirements and then give a lengthy run irrespective of their returns.

Our tm just plans for the short term rather than looking at the bigger picture. 2023 wc is in india. We need to be aggressive upfront on these flat pitches otherwise we can be outbatted by a team like England in KO game.

TM needs to move on from Dhawan more than anything. That's the first step. That will let either Rahul or Pant open. 

Problem is Dhawan always manages to play a good knock right on the verge of being dropped. 

Wc23 is still 2 years away,our we ready to compromise on a home WC?

If not ,Kohli should have been removed from LOI kaptaani,he has a midas touch,just look a rag tag team suddenly outperforming a full strength Aus in Aus once he left

He has turned every side to piece of shyte with his leadership skills

Kohli needs to be sacked as leader across formats before making any innovative move

Edited by Suhaan
18 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

TM needs to move on from Dhawan more than anything. That's the first step. That will let either Rahul or Pant open. 

Problem is Dhawan always manages to play a good knock right on the verge of being dropped. 

I have nothing against Dhawan. Dhawan is one of the best ODI batsman we have ever produced. Guy always raised his hand in ICC 50 over tourneys. But with time we need to change the game plan, thats where we need a dasher at front to open the innings and put pressure on the other team rather than having those sedate and safe starts that we go after.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Gill should open and Pant should bat at 5. KL should be no.4.

Pant and Pandya at 5 & 6 are your X-factor players. Some may say Jadeja doesn't suit at 7 but your best batsman should bat higher and hence Pandya at no.6.

And where does that leave Shreyas Iyer? Discarded after one bad series?

I would love for him to open in ODIs but we need to think long-term. He is defenitely an all-format player but for me he is clearly a better player for Tests and T20s like a Sehwag.

If we are to make him open in T20s and ODIs along with his wicket keeping duties he is bound to lose steam or get injured in a a couple of years. He is young now so may be able to manage but he is not a supreme athelete like a young Dhoni and even Dhoni never opened in ODIs and T20s. With so much workload on players I would be inclined to play Fast Bowlers and Keepers in no more than 2 out of the 3 formats. If someone is played in 3 formats then reduce their workload as much as possible. Else they will not last longer term.

Edited by Forever Indian