Make Pant open in ODI , if he fails then give him no.4 ...dont waste him anymore

3 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

In one thread people want Gill to open, idhar Pant ko opening bhejna chahte ho. 

I think we need a player like Pant in the middle order. Even if he averages 30-35 for now, it will be brilliant. His strike rate is already very good.

There are basically 4 candidates for batting 2 slots in the ODI team. Gill, Iyer, Pant and Pandey. Kishan has an outside chance.

Re:  "There are basically 4 candidates for batting 2 slots in the ODI team. Gill, Iyer, Pant and Pandey. Kishan has an outside chance." 

For a someone who really wants to make  indian ODI one of the best , 2 slots should go to Gill & Pant and then iyer in that order .

In ODIs, our biggest problem has been losing wickets in a heap at the beginning in crucial matches, whenever we have been faced with quality pace bowling.

Gill and Kohli, in the top 3, can counter this better 

Pant has shown great finishing skills today.

In ODIs, my choice is

1. Gill

2. Rohit

3. Kohli

4. Pant

5. Rahul

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja

Main thing is ... we need to make Gill, Pant Rahul and Hardik ODI regulars from now on.

Pant is not a new ball player as he has limited ability to play very late - close to body.Moreover strike rotation is also his problem.He is best at number 5 or 6 when ball is old and bowlers are tired.Even in this series he scored two key innings after dropped catch and missed stumping by Paine.Gill and Pujara laid the foundation for win or at least draw.Unlike Pant they did not give any chance,otherwise match might have been lost.Top order batsmen should be technically. sound.India lost wc semi or ct final due to incompetent top order.

11 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

I would love for him to open in ODIs but we need to think long-term. He is defenitely an all-format player but for me he is clearly a better player for Tests and T20s like a Sehwag.

If we are to make him open in T20s and ODIs along with his wicket keeping duties he is bound to lose steam or get injured in a a couple of years. He is young now so may be able to manage but he is not a supreme athelete like a young Dhoni and even Dhoni never opened in ODIs and T20s. With so much workload on players I would be inclined to play Fast Bowlers and Keepers in no more than 2 out of the 3 formats. If someone is played in 3 formats then reduce their workload as much as possible. Else they will not last longer term.

I will let KL to keep

There is an immediate need to integrate Gill and Pant and Sundar in our ODI lineup. It's a difficult task and not something Kohli will agree to do as he has his biases.

Pant

Rohit 

Gill 

Kohli 

KL 

Pandya 

Sundar 

Jadeja 

Bumrah 

Shami / Saini

5th bowler depending on conditions

Dhawan and Mayank should be part of the squad. I am little disappointed with inconsistencies in Mayank, he has thrown away chances. But then he has not got a steady run yet. I know he is one of the hardest working cricketer in our line-up and can play as a backup opener or even in the middle order when the spinners are on. He can be extremely destructive on his day. So he has to be there in the squad over Manish Pandey or even Iyer.

In case if T20, remove Gill unless he improves his hitting skills and get KL to open with Rohit or Mayank(better choice over Rohit in T20). Bring Pant to 4. Other than opening rest of the order in T20 should be dynamic.

KL 

Mayank (Rohit as backup)

Kohli 

Pant 

Sky 

Pandya 

Sundar 

Jadeja 

Bumrah 

Saini 

5th bowler

41 minutes ago, vaul said:

.Top order batsmen should be technically. sound.India lost wc semi or ct final due to incompetent top order.

This is my exact point.

We need 2 solid batsmen in the top 3 who can score fast  while preserving their wicket  ( Kohli and Gill ) 

Scoring runs is easy in ODIs these days if there are wickets in hand. 

13 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This is my exact point.

We need 2 solid batsmen in the top 3 who can score fast  while preserving their wicket  ( Kohli and Gill ) 

Scoring runs is easy in ODIs these days if there are wickets in hand. 

Why cant Kohli bat at 4,be the insurance if top 3 fail,other youngsters can also be more flamboyant

1 minute ago, GautiMaan said:

Why cant Kohli bat at 4,be the insurance if top 3 fail,other youngsters can also be more flamboyant

It is difficult to dislodge someone from a batting position where he has scored 10500+ runs at an average of 62.8 at a SR of 94.

Kohli has not been this good lower down the order. Lacks the big shots that is needed if he has to come in after over 30 or 35.

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kohli has not been this good lower down the order. Lacks the big shots that is needed if he has to come in after over 30 or 35.

Kohli is actually perfect for No. 4, though he himself doesn't seem comfortable with the idea. 

As for coming in after overs 30-35, if we are in that strong a position, we could just send in Pandya. It's not necessary to send Kohli. Kohli is perfectly capable of scoring at 120-130 strike rate in the late-middle overs if that's what is required of him.

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

In ODIs, our biggest problem has been losing wickets in a heap at the beginning in crucial matches, whenever we have been faced with quality pace bowling.

Gill and Kohli, in the top 3, can counter this better 

Pant has shown great finishing skills today.

In ODIs, my choice is

1. Gill

2. Rohit

3. Kohli

4. Pant

5. Rahul

6. Hardik

7. Jadeja

Main thing is ... we need to make Gill, Pant Rahul and Hardik ODI regulars from now on.

I agree but KL at 4 and Pant at 5. KL is a top 4 batsman while Pant is middle order or lower middle order batsman.

7 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Kohli is actually perfect for No. 4, though he himself doesn't seem comfortable with the idea. 

As for coming in after overs 30-35, if we are in that strong a position, we could just send in Pandya. It's not necessary to send Kohli. Kohli is perfectly capable of scoring at 120-130 strike rate in the late-middle overs if that's what is required of him.

You need to utilize your highest average batsman in the best way possible. No need to experiment.

19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

KL has been amazing at 5 ... as he can start hitting 6s from ball one. Pant needs a bit of time to get set.

Not really. The sample is low and this is his purple patch. He is technically an opening batsman. Remember, one of the recent ODIs vs Australia, he was hitting sixes but there were number of dot balls in between those sixes. He is more of a top order player, should bat no less than no.4.

Pant has a bit of Stokes in him, he can take time initially but can change gear anytime, has some freak shots and is a clutch finisher.

Edited by Majestic
34 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You need to utilize your highest average batsman in the best way possible. No need to experiment.

On the contrary,while Kohli himself has racked up runs the lack of quality in the middle order has cost us games.

Now Gill seems like someone who can do well at 3,Rohit with Dhawan/Pant/Rahul lends us quality at the top.The middle order weakness can be shorne up by Kohli and i still think we would have won the World Cup had the guy sacrificed his ego and batted at 4.

2 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

On the contrary,while Kohli himself has racked up runs the lack of quality in the middle order has cost us games.

Now Gill seems like someone who can do well at 3,Rohit with Dhawan/Pant/Rahul lends us quality at the top.The middle order weakness can be shorne up by Kohli and i still think we would have won the World Cup had the guy sacrificed his ego and batted at 4.

Pant and Rahul can be excellent at 4 and 5.

The issue was fiddling with the middle order before WC 19 and not choosing good batters there. 

I don't think Kohli is a good No.4

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The issue was fiddling with the middle order before WC 19 and not choosing good batters there. 

I don't think Kohli is a good No.4

Rahul is not a natural 4 either,Kohli is better at strike rotation,playing spin.

But yes as long as they give chances to quality players we fans are ready to be patient,what went wrong was  wasting time with Rayudus and Jadhavs which is clearly on MSKP and his panel.

18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Just being capable of hitting sixes doesn't make you an ideal No. 4. You need to be able to score even when boundaries aren't coming in. Dhoni-Yuvraj-Raina were great at dropping and running, rotating the strike and taking quick ones and twos. I'm not sure Pant has that as he can get bogged down when he's not scoring boundaries and have brainfade moments. He almost had a brainfade in the 4th Test too when he went for a 6 with six runs required and skied one in the air. That's happened a lot in LOIs. 

Pant is capable of playing destructive innings, but you need a lot more than that in the middle order. His style is more suited for opening simply to get the team off to a flier, at No. 7 or a floater when you've got a great start and want to capitalize on it. 

I worry that Kohli will mess it again with Pant, Gill and Agarwal. In order to showcase his intelligence and satisfy his ego he can do anything like dropping Gill, not playing Pant, messing with Sundar and Agarwal.

My other worry with depending too much on Dhawan and Rohit is they are injury prone in recent past and if we don't allow Mayank, Pant and Gill to settle down, we are looking at a disaster again in 2023 WC.